Options

Amazon going down the pan

Comments

• Options
    JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had a problem with them as everything i have got from them has always arrived, even the stuff i have bought on amazon marketplace
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angustay wrote: »
    Amazon has been going downhill for years they have been selling controversial products to try and boost their online sales but their latest book is just sick. I could not believe it when I saw it on the BBC Text service.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/ArtsLife/1212765.html

It's not their book... Amazon is trying to stock every book they possibly can just like any book shop. OK they could check the content, but short of reading every one of the millions of titles they stock....
  • Options
    EllieGEllieG Posts: 108,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't say I've noticed any change - and I usually have a couple of orders a month with them and have done for years, since they started.
    I find their service excellent, the best of the online retailers I use. I've never had to return anything but twice items did not turn up (went missing with the delivery company) - they immediately sent out a replacement order with no issues.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    TheDJ <3 wrote: »
    Anyone noticed Amazon.co.uk service slipping lately?

Been a customer for years and usually order most things from them but lately i've found it's service to be a bit poor.

For example, ordered a chart pc game, and a Disney DVD on Friday from them. Today neither have yet been dispatched, with a dispatch estimate of Thursday!!:mad:

Any other similar experiences?

Am disappointed, I thought this was going to be a thread about the demise of the Amazon Rain Forest! :eek:

However, I've always had good service from Amazon (e.g. 2 years ago a DVD set ordered from amazon.com in the US, 8 days before Christmas, got here in the UK on the 4th day, I may test it again this year ;) )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have noticed a slight delay in getting my items dispatched. But no biggie really. I've got enough patience to wait. Amazon is still a fantastic retailer.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Stuff I've bought on Amazon has generally been delivered on or before the quoted times.

I did recently try Play.com, and was underwhelmed with their service. I ordered two DVD boxed sets, at the same time and on the same day. Both listed as in stock. Yet, for reasons best known to Play.com, one was posted the day after the other. This Requires me to arrange to take delivery on two separate days. Why they could not post my order together in one box, or even on the same day, is a mystery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problems ordering from Amazon here, have used both next day and super saver delivery options recently.
    I always make sure it's coming straight from Amazon though, I don't bother with "Marketplace" stuff...I've read a fair few horror stories!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Agree with the OP, I used to be impressed with how much Amazon beat their estimated delivery date, but now I find it's usually a couple of days behind. Dissaponting, but just have to shift your expectations, which is a shame but ultimately what is to be expected from outsourcing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got an email today that my phone has despatched. Ok it wasn't the 22nd but a 4 day wait for an item that's in stock when ordered is a bit lazy.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter ordered a netbook from Amazon. Her boyfriend stayed in all day waiting delivery. When it hadn't arrived by 5pm rang the to see where it was. Was told they had attempted delivery at noon and it was back on van. This was untrue as b/f was in. Anyway, long story short, courier told to take netbook back to Amazon, which they did. He had no trouble getting money refunded to card.

I ordered a printer/scanner from a market place seller, came next day and is one of the best bargains I have ever had. Really only needed the scanner bit as mine had died but it's great. So not all market sellers are bad.
  • Options
    PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »
    I've given up on Amazon after having four deliveries, totalling just shy of £300, mysteriously disappear on me.

I understand your frustration; but is that likely to be Amazon's fault or their delivery carrier?

A first class letter from the local town - 2.5 miles away - can take three days to make it to me via Royal Mail.

That's not the fault of the sender, is it?

As to the more general discussion.

Been using Amazon since almost day one; only had one order not arrive, and one other order (via Amazon Market Place) that was not 100% satisfactory - in both cases Amazon resolved the issues in under 5 working days.

By almost any business standards you can think of that is excellent service.

I now just add 2 or 3 days to expected 1st class delivery times, and anything up to 2 weeks for other delivery methods - because I know that that is how bad Royal Mail are at their job.
  • Options
    toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi I have recently ordered a Htc Desire HD from Amazon, it was delayed and only two day's after my original order offered me a free headset worth £40. The headset came in no time and I have not parted with any money what so ever yet.:D The delay in getting stock is surely down to HTC.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love amazon, I live in northern Ireland and have bought all my Christmas shopping off amazon and the marketplace, I only order on the Friday and everything has arrived by the Monday, usually if I ordered off a site it takes until Tuesday or Wednesday to arrive, it does get busier towards christmas and last year one or two things arrived on the Tuesday but it wasn't amazons fault they dispatched straight away.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had no problems with them to date. My most recent order arrived wthin 48 hours even though I selected 3-5 days.
  • Options
    doom&amp;gloomdoom&amp;gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Recently needed next day delivery and it took two days but got my money back, this was City Link's fault though and they can be a bit hit and miss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not direct from Amazon, (was from one of the 'outlet' places, was buying a knife block) but I ordered something on Tuesday night and it came via DHL on Thursday evening. I had selected the free delivery which gave a 3-5 day estimate.
    As for from Amazon direct, never had a problem with them yet.
  • Options
    sleepasleepa Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »

I ordered a printer/scanner from a market place seller, came next day and is one of the best bargains I have ever had. Really only needed the scanner bit as mine had died but it's great. So not all market sellers are bad.

My wifey is a Market Place seller and as she lives or dies on positive feedback rating takes massive efforts to get orders out next post - If you email it's urgent/birthday present etc she'll upgrade to 1st/recorded at her own expense just to maintain the fabled customer pulling 100% positive...

Amazon themselves have similar reputation/incentive in the medium term I guess, but are able to risk a few more short term mistakes to commercially hone their ma-hoosive delivery costs.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything I've ordered from amazon's turned up without a hitch. No problems here. The only time I'd use the next day delivery would be if my order (Books usually, as I love to read because it's so relaxing. Only factual books though) came to £145, so this would amount to £1 a book for delivery.
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pre-ordered Toy Story 3 on Blu-Ray and it'll be here tomorrow hopefully. It got sent out on Saturday 1st Class Recorded Delivery. We shall see :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only slight difference I've noticed is that the Free Delivery option isn't as quick as it used to be, but it's only an extra day or so... no big deal. They're still easily the most reliable online retailer for me.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Clem* wrote: »
    Yep, Amazon used to be good but I have to wait much longer to receive my orders now than I used to. Shame.

Me to. I've waited over a month for two books now. :(
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheDJ <3 wrote: »
    Anyone noticed Amazon.co.uk service slipping lately?

Been a customer for years and usually order most things from them but lately i've found it's service to be a bit poor.

For example, ordered a chart pc game, and a Disney DVD on Friday from them. Today neither have yet been dispatched, with a dispatch estimate of Thursday!!:mad:

I have cancelled and on my way to HMV.com ......

Any other similar experiences?

Shopped on there occasionally over past 5 years with no problem but they messed it up recently. My order went off on a mystery tour for a week. :confused: However when I contacted Amazon they sorted it in half a day but no explanation for the cockup.

It's a small worry as I plan to do more online shopping in the coming weeks. :(
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    I use Amazon a lot and in my experience they are very good on delivery times. I tend to find Play.com orders take slightly longer to arrive as do things I've ordered from HMV.com.
    Firthy2002 wrote: »
    ...I always make sure it's coming straight from Amazon though, I don't bother with "Marketplace" stuff...I've read a fair few horror stories!

I was initially very undecided about buying from the marketplace as I had heard a few stories from friends but I made the jump when I was buying textbooks for my degree. I'm so glad I did because I ended up saving a fortune and have continued to do so. Delivery times with sellers vary but the ones I buy from frequently are excellent.

I understand why some may be reluctant to venture into the markerplace but as stud u like mentioned earlier, a lot of sellers are involved with the Amazon fulfilment programme, which is really worth looking out for on the marketplace. There are some excellent bargains to be had.

I've had only two cases where I bought used CDs that turned out to be disappointing as more than 2 tracks jumped. However, in both cases the sellers refunded my money and the costs of postage. No quibbles because these were sellers that valued their feedback.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had no real bad experiences with Amazon. Once something didn't arrive by the date it was promised. But got it a couple of days later and got the postage refunded.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ordered 5 things from Amazon last Sunday night(28th November).2 dvd boxsets & 3 dvd's.The estimated delivery date was the 1st December.Got home about an hour ago there was a card behind the door to say that they had left my package with the neighbour next door.3 days overdue but considering how the weather has been i'm pretty happy with the service from them.