Tesco could have made an effort !

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
Tesco could have made an effort this Christmas... they have the money to do it
and they have the space to do it.

Im talking about setting up a magical display that would use up say 20 feet of shelf space.
A Christmas display with Santa figures, fur trees, deer and reindeer, .. maybe a model train going around... the figures moving .. a kind of Christmas model village.

It would be a wonderful tableau to delight the children and something to delight the eye as you enter the spacious shop.

But no.... "space is money and we cant lose 20 feet of shelf space, not even at Christmas..... bah humbug !"

Instead all we get is the bog standard Christmas tree ... with exactly the same decorations as last year.... pathetic !

My sister was in America last year and some of the displays in the shops were wonderful... even in out of the way places. Customer service a lot better too they really value your custom.

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Anything to discourage people dragging their brats round the shops has to be a good thing surely? Sounds like a Win-Win-Win-Win to me.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You WHAT now?

Aren't there enough real, important things going on in the world to get cross about?
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a supermarket, not Santa's grotto.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't that sort of thing be more appropriate in a place where you specifically take children?

Tesco basically sell food, so just go there and buy your sodding food.
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Yanks always know how to do Christmas in style anyway. Wont happen here. We do it half heartidly because we have to...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    But no.... "space is money and we cant lose 20 feet of shelf space, not even at Christmas..... bah humbug !"

Tesco's didn't say this did they.

:rolleyes:
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the blazes....

Actually I sense the OP is a parent who is too tight to pay a tenner to take their child somewhere a bit christmassy.

"get your coats kids, we're going to that magical place - tescoland'
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the blazes....

Actually I sense the OP is a parent who is too tight to pay a tenner to take their child somewhere a bit christmassy.

"get your coats kids, we're going to that magical place - tescoland'

"Aisle 6 - trainsets and reindeer"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all fairness the Tesco not far from here does have a grotty, I mean grotto, outside its doors, & they dont charge either. But it's all a bit lame.
    Pants gifts though.
    I remember when I was whipper snapper, we used to go to Reading Butts centre every xmas. You would visit Santa & he gave you a little book that had loads of tickets in for different shops. You would take the tickets to each shop, & get a prezzie from them. It was quality!
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So let me get this right - you're suggesting that Tesco use valuable shelf space to accomodate a christmas display?

This suggestion would have one of two effects if it was raised at board level. The members would die laughing or die with shock. Either way it would cause almost instant death for the entire board of one of the most succesful companies in British history.

I suggest the mods remove this thread before they get wind of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    So let me get this right - you're suggesting that Tesco use valuable shelf space to accomodate a christmas display?

This suggestion would have one of two effects if it was raised at board level. The members would die laughing or die with shock. Either way it would cause almost instant death for the entire board of one of the most succesful companies in British history.

I suggest the mods remove this thread before they get wind of it.

That's funny if you dont read the rest of your post :D
  • kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    they delivered my shopping when I live on top of a hill in heavy snow so they are in my good books
  • AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And those darn presents underneath the tree in Tescos! They have nothing in them, they are just cardboard boxes! :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Its all about their profits innit?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    kim1994 wrote: »
    they delivered my shopping when I live on top of a hill in heavy snow so they are in my good books
    Actually it is trickier delivering to someone at the bottom in between two hills. As long as you can park facing downhill you have a good chance of not getting stuck.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And those darn presents underneath the tree in Tescos! They have nothing in them, they are just cardboard boxes! :(
    How do you know ?
    For all intents and purposes they are probably for the kids who's parents are benefit scroungers, in the store stocking up on their booze, paid for with the cold weather payments. :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bah, I don't need Tesco when I can go and see the Fenwicks window in Newcastle !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Im talking about setting up a magical display that would use up say 20 feet of shelf space.
    A Christmas display with Santa figures, fur trees, deer and reindeer, .. maybe a model train going around... the figures moving .. a kind of Christmas model village.

It would be a wonderful tableau to delight the children and something to delight the eye as you enter the spacious shop.

Instead all we get is the bog standard Christmas tree ... with exactly the same decorations as last year.... pathetic !

My sister was in America last year and some of the displays in the shops were wonderful... even in out of the way places. Customer service a lot better too they really value your custom.
    I don't think that Tesco, even with all their money, have enough money to get them ;)
  • MinjuryMinjury Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Self entitlement on the internet. Who would have thought it?

It seems to be common on these forums. Especially when it comes to supermarkets or any other retail stores :rolleyes:
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of shops in the UK make an effort but it tends to be department stores and shopping centres rather than supermarkets. I guess supermarkets aren't trying to encourage people to hang around admiring their display but to run around grabbing things off shelves and spending lots of money.

Also people are more likely to take kids to a shopping centre and make more of it but the supermarket tends to be more of an in and out experience so to speak.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco.
    Ordered my new mobile phone on-line Thursday 11.15am last week. Delivered following day 10am. No postage/delivery charges either as it was above £50.

And you're moaning because they aren't covering their stores with ruddy Xmas :confused:
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go to the shop to buy things not to look at Christmas decorations, I have those in my home.
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    **facepalm**
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

I've been to the USA at Xmas time and it was annoying. The hotel pumped out horrid carols all day long.

I vowed never to go back over the Christmas period again.