Options

David Walliams & Matt Lucas accused of racism

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a294992/walliams-lucas-accused-of-racism.html

Why? Did anyone see this? And if so, what happened?

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Both Walliam and Lucas played all the characters in the show, some of whom were non-white which is where allegation of racism came from
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't watch it. Bit more here come fly with me racist charges - I think it's something to do with Lucas 'blacking up' and both of them playing stereotypical 'foreigner' characters or something.

Sounds like a lot of hot air over nothing imo...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Both Walliam and Lucas played all the characters in the show, some of whom were non-white which is where allegation of racism came from

As said they played all characters with no bias against any race more than any other. If they had made all the characters white it would of been racism.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i find most of their stuff totally offensive to be honest. and not funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Didn't watch it. Bit more here come fly with me racist charges - I think it's something to do with Lucas 'blacking up' and both of them playing stereotypical 'foreigner' characters or something.

Sounds like a lot of hot air over nothing imo...

I thought it was possibly just that and you're right - a load of hot air over nothing then.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was remotely 'racist' in any way shape or form whatsoever, the BBC would have scrapped it and burned the negatives. Just some folk with no life, as usual.
  • Options
    cat80cat80 Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it and thought it was funny and not racist in the slightest, just people complaining over nothing
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it and I didn't think it was racist at all.

It's like Jynx all over again :(
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who exactly was it racist against?

They did sketches involving a black West Indian woman, white people of varying nationalities, a British-Asian, a couple of Japanese girls, a mixed race man & a man of Greek origin.

They covered a lot of bases there, so maybe it was racist again Indonesians because there weren't any in their sketches?
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Lucas and Walliams do is no different to what Eddie Murphy does when playing all those different black characters in "The Nutty Professor" or "The Klumps" or whatever.

Not racist.
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Who exactly was it racist against?

They did sketches involving a black West Indian woman, white people of varying nationalities, a British-Asian, a couple of Japanese girls, a mixed race man & a man of Greek origin.

They covered a lot of bases there, so maybe it was racist again Indonesians because there weren't any in their sketches?

Exactly, nobody is complaining that it was homophobic because some characters were gay.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably find a few of the people who complained to the BBC on here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1414892&page=15

Apparatently, Walliams and Lucas are not only racists, they're also homophobic and anti disabled
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Probably find a few of the people who complained to the BBC on here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1414892&page=15

Apparatently, Walliams and Lucas are not only racists, they're also homophobic and anti disabled

Homophobic? Do those people not realise that Matt's gay, FGS! And David's unlikely to have Matt as his best friend and business partner if HE's homophobic! Ridiculous.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's only one thing I'm accusing them of being - and that is distinctly and utterly unfunny.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homophobic? Do those people not realise that Matt's gay, FGS! And David's unlikely to have Matt as his best friend and business partner if HE's homophobic! Ridiculous.

According to some on that thread, they're also anti semitic despite the fact that Matt is Jewish. :confused:

Some people just like to see offense in every corner and then shout loudly about how those of us who can't are just stupid or as bigotted as the people they are having a go at.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was possibly just that and you're right - a load of hot air over nothing then.

I'm a bit bored with the racism thing, to be honest. So he pretended to be a black lady--big deal. As long as he wasn't using horrible and offensive stereotypes--who cares? It's not like he was tar black with big red lips or anything like that. They played like a dozen different characters that made up the airline-- that's their thing. Ant and Dec "blacked up" to play those Jamaican ladies on their programme and it was kind of funny.

David Walliams dressed as a black lady on Little Britain when he was playing Bubbles' love rival. I thought that was pretty funny.
  • Options
    youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure no one would set out to be racist on a program in this day of rules etc.

If someone sees something as racist that is up to them but it is often a result of taking it too seriously. They should accept that it was not meant like that, complain if they want and then forget it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit bored with the racism thing, to be honest. So he pretended to be a black lady--big deal. As long as he wasn't using horrible and offensive stereotypes--who cares? It's not like he was tar black with big red lips or anything like that. They played like a dozen different characters that made up the airline-- that's their thing. Ant and Dec "blacked up" to play those Jamaican ladies on their programme and it was kind of funny.

David Walliams dressed as a black lady on Little Britain when he was playing Bubbles' love rival. I thought that was pretty funny.

I don't see what was offensive from what I've heard, I suppose that as a white person, it might be easy for me to say, but I know you're a black woman and I'm glad you agree.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Lucas and Walliams do is no different to what Eddie Murphy does when playing all those different black characters in "The Nutty Professor" or "The Klumps" or whatever.

Not racist.
    And what about "White Chicks" were two black guys dress up as white women and take on just about every stereotype of white people? That film was quite successful and I really enjoyed it. I think now I might borrow Dr Who's Tardis and go back in time and be filled with OUTRAGE about how racist it is. Two black men taking the p!ss out of white people. I mean, if I didn't have a sense of humour I really would complain......to someone....:yawn:....somewhere.....:sleep:.....
  • Options
    punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another piece of hack 'journalism' from the Daily Fail, sticking the boot into Lucas/Walliams (and by implication, the BBC) again by digging out a few Twitter posts supporting a lazy self-created story.

For the Fail to protest about anyone else's 'racism' is beyond belief.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely. Context and intent is everything. (That particular sketch cracked me up! :D )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Hold on didn't they do exactly the same thing with a few characters in Little Britain? What makes this series any different? Oh I see it's a new venture for them and certain sections of the Brisitsh media are wanting it to fail by stirring up a racism row.... Boring. Can't the press stick to slagging off famous ladies cellulite instead?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't for a second think that they are racists BUT I work in a school and lets face it the majority of fans of Little Britain type sketch shows are kids and teenagers. When they create charactors like 'Ping Pong':rolleyes: they need to remember that thats proberbly going to be some poor thai girls nick name for the next 12 months of her life. I've seen it happen. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    This is the typical Daily Mail blowing things out of context to push their own agenda.
    There were a couple of negative posts about them on twitter, which the Daily Mail translated into 'thousands of complaints'. Even though the article later states, towards the end of the article when the typical reader has given up reading 'BBC1 bosses said they had not yet established how many complained to the corporation.'
    The thousands figure is seemingly plucked out the air, and doesn't seem to relate to either OFCOM complaints, or official complaints to the BBC.
    It's just the Daily Mail playing up to their audience who love these 'PC GONE MAD' stories.

I didn't find it offensive in any way, and I doubt many people did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's only one thing I'm accusing them of being - and that is distinctly and utterly unfunny.

I have to agree with you there.