Anybody interested in the coronation of the Dutch king?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
Forum Member
✭✭
It's today, Tuesday :)

I love the pageantry that we have with our royals, I loved all three jubilees The Queen has had.

It's funny that Dutch Queen Beatrix is abdicating as her mother did exactly the same. Beatrix seems a very nice lady, her son who's the new king sounds like a bit of a playboy lol, but I think its nicer to have coronations and ceremonies like this than what the Americans do - a swearing in followed by a long political speech that not everyone will agree with.

The Dutch coronation is live on YouTube, it'll probably be in Dutch commentary so I won't understand it, but I'll be interested to see how they do it. April 30 is their national day, I've been on holiday in Amsterdam when they've celebrated it and they have a lot of fun :)

Comments

• spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a couple of Dutch friends and they are very happy about today , :)
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is a tradition that the Queen abdicates in favour of the heir when they get older in Holland. It wasn't just the mother of Queen Beatrix (Queen Julianna) who did that, but her mother before her (Queen Whilhelmena), I think that was in the 1940's, (not that I was alive then).
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one of my friends put on her EB status yay a King at last lol
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am not really interested, no
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a tradition born somewhat out of necessity; Queen Julianna had to abdicate after her husband was disgraced in a dodgy aerospace deal years agao...and Beatrix is travelling back and forth to London twice a week visiting her son in hospital.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    I seem to recall reading that the Queen of Holland was very likeable and down to earth perhaps fitting in with the old dutch proverb that if you stick youur head above the grass it''ll be cut off.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    I seem to recall reading that the Queen of Holland was very likeable and down to earth perhaps fitting in an old duthc proverb that if you stick youur head above the grass it'' be cut off.

no queen is down to earth
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am not really interested, no

Ditto....should we be interested...is it going to make a difference to our lives ?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Not me...not at all. Didn't even know they have one.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    About as interested as I will be when we get a new King
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hooter wrote: »
    Ditto....should we be interested...is it going to make a difference to our lives ?:confused:

No it won't, obviously, it probably won't even make much difference to the Dutch, but I suppose its nice if you like royal ceremonies etc.
    It gives them a chance to celebrate their country like we did with ours last year :)
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a tradition born somewhat out of necessity; Queen Julianna had to abdicate after her husband was disgraced in a dodgy aerospace deal years agao...and Beatrix is travelling back and forth to London twice a week visiting her son in hospital.

I take it then that the Dutch healthcare system private and public is crap otherwise her son would be receiving care in Amsterdam.

Four first class flights plus accommodation for her and her flunkies must be costing the dutch taxpayer some wonga.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Has everyone heard the truly dreadful song they've written in his honour? It sounds like something from a Disney Princess movie, with the most shite rap imaginable, thrown in for no apparent reason.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_lRn6oBwWY

Wtf were they thinking? :D
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It gives them a chance to celebrate their country like we did with ours last year

In other words - get stoned out of their lids...

Incidently...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Friso_of_Orange-Nassau
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it won't, obviously, it probably won't even make much difference to the Dutch, but I suppose its nice if you like royal ceremonies etc.
    It gives them a chance to celebrate their country like we did with ours last year :)

Suppose so...still not interested ..BTW wasn`t interested in last years bash either
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there's been some fuss over the officially commisioned song for the coronation which the Prince said he didn't like

Can't imagine Her Maj telling the nation that Gary Barlow's song for the Jubileee was a load of old tripe, though obviously that's what she would have thought.............

I'm not particularly interested in the Coronation though all my views on the Dutch people are positive..............
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Has everyone heard the truly dreadful song they've written in his honour? It sounds like something from a Disney Princess movie, with the most shite rap imaginable, thrown in for no apparent reason.

They were stoned when the composed that saccharine shyte surely,:eek:

Thats GBH of the earholes.
  • soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

Thing is, it was an Englishman from Eastleigh that wrote it!

My favourite female singer is Dutch though, but mainly sings in English, here is part of a song in her native tongue:
    http://youtu.be/ofJKaB8yB9o?t=1m24s
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I think there's been some fuss over the officially commisioned song for the coronation which the Prince said he didn't like

Can't imagine Her Maj telling the nation that Gary Barlow's song for the Jubileee was a load of old tripe, though obviously that's what she would have thought.............

I'm not particularly interested in the Coronation though all my views on the Dutch people are positive..............

I really liked Gary Barlow's song :o

The Dutch one seems to be imitating it a bit but the rap is horrible! I don't like rap much anyway, but when someone like Jay Z is doing it, at least it sounds authentic, rapping any other language or accent than American English just sounds wrong to me lol
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it then that the Dutch healthcare system private and public is crap otherwise her son would be receiving care in Amsterdam.

Prince Friso and his family live in London. He has lived and worked in the UK for years.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    soran wrote: »
    Thing is, it was an Englishman from Eastleigh that wrote it!

My favourite female singer is Dutch though, but mainly sings in English, here is part of a song in her native tongue:
    http://youtu.be/ofJKaB8yB9o?t=1m24s

One of my favourite bands is Dutch & they sing in Dutch :)

Heidevolk - Een Nieuw Begin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets face it, there is only two things that us brits care about to do with Holland

drugs and sex (with not much rock and roll!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really liked Gary Barlow's song :o

I liked it as well.............but I'm sure the Queen probably thinks all pop music is shite.............

Stiil, I can't imagine her saying it like the Dutch Prince has.............
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I think itsh a good reason to get everyone togedder and get naked for shum good sheksh and den we can all have a shmoke and agree dat we all had a really good time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lets face it, there is only two things that us brits care about to do with Holland

drugs and sex (with not much rock and roll!)

what about the great Art...........Rembrandt, Hals, Vermeer etc

great footballers from Cryuff to RvP

err, now I'm struggling a bit................:D