When will Rockstar announce GTA V?

STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
Forum Member
Well, with confirmation now that the forthcoming Xbox 360 DLC 'The Ballad of Gay Tony' will be the final installment of DLC for GTA IV and a final farewell to Liberty City, we must now surely be close to getting the first bit of news regarding the next full console based GTA game.

As we know, Rockstar have already stated in interviews that they have been busy developing GTA V for the last 12/18 months, so surely we can't be that far off now from some kind of announcement. So, what are people's thoughts as to when Rockstar will announce GTA V? Will it be this year or will Rockstar hold off until early 2010?

I can't see Rockstar announcing something until after the release of TBOGT on the 360 due for release on 29th October. We could possibly hear something in November or December, or more likely early 2010.

One things for sure, it's going to be exciting in the months ahead as we hear some exclusive spoilers regarding GTA V. Also, will the next GTA game be called simply GTA V? Rockstar may decide to give the next GTA game a sub title, like they did after GTA 3 was released on the PS2. It could go something like GTA: Return to Vice City or GTA: Vice City 2 (doubtful but you get my drift!) :)

Comments

• LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine they will leave it until January to be honest, as far as I can tell, they like to line their releases and advertising up to Fiscal Quarters. Hyping it from Q1 with a release of Q4 would be nice...I think

I could be talking nonsense though :)
  • grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    WAY to early for a new one, if you ask me.

Itll be like San Andreas, and Id expect that announced mid-next year, with a 2011 release, more than likely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    V will take less time now the engine and the tech is up and running, but part of me hopes they will keep using Liberty City, since it's such a cool place. Then again, I would prefer them to create a whole new landscape with whacky ideas, ala San Andreas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want Vice City! :):D
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTA5 proper, we're most likely talking the next generation of systems. The next game will be part of the GTA4 series in the same way SA and VC were part of the GTA3 series, so I'd imagine the next one will be GTA:<place> in a similar way.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to release New GTA's around easter time i think, so i would guess april 2011. Cant see it coming out in 2010 but you never know. Seems ages away.
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Yeah I can't see them releasing the next GTA game as early as 2010, but with Rockstar using the same engine created for GTA IV, they may well release it in October 2010, but it's looking more likely to be released in 2011. I think a 2010 release seems a bit rushed.

I can't remember exactly when, but I think GTA IV was first announced 12 months before it was released, so yeah I think an early 2010 announcement is looking more likely.

It will be interesting to see where Rockstar go next with GTA. Will they go back to Vice City or San Andreas or will they go for a completely new location? Or perhaps even London as they did the GTA expansion pack in the late 1990's which was titled GTA: London.

I'd love to see a next gen version of Vice City though in a current day setting. That would be great to see :)
  • Launch FanLaunch Fan Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    I really hope they go back to something like Vice City or San Andreas, which are far, far superior, even on the old XBox than GTA IV.

I still play San Andreas more than GTA IV (which is a terrible storyline and stupid characters) as nothing beats flying over the map in a fighter jet or a 747.

And it's much "brighter". Even the daylight scenes on GTA IV are grimy and dark. You feel like you need to clean the TV screen half the time.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gavo360 wrote: »
    They seem to release New GTA's around easter time i think

It's generally around October time, with GTA4 being the only real exception (and even then it was originally scheduled for an October release)

If a new GTA was to be released October '10 though I'd have thought we'd know something about it by now, so I think 2011 is a fair estimate.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    GTA V may well be around Q4 2010. Rockstar North will be working on The Agency through the first part of next year.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    E3 2010 for the annocement, then a late 2010 or early 2011 release date, this will then be delayed to xmas 2011.
  • AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're all predicting way too early in my opinion. Id say we'll get another GTA in 2013.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Agreed ^^^^^

it's too early for another gta, plus they are busy working on Agency which 'rockstar have said they want to be the next gta'.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say they will announce it in 2012 or 2013. I would expect at least one more game using the current engine though before GTA5. Vice City would be my personal choice.

Rockstar North are currently working on Agent which they're hoping to release that in 2010. I think there'll be an announcement next year about the current GTA4 DLC heading to the PS3.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Maybe for the next game they can include mid-mission checkpoints so if you are crap enough to die you don't have to start the mission from scratch.

I can't believe they haven't done this already.
    Forum Member
    I can't believe Rockstar took away the 'Trip Skip' feature in GTA IV. This was included in both San Andreas and Vice City Stories, but was not included in GTA IV for some reason.

It was handy to beable to easily restart the mission, but would have been good to be able to skip the car journey to the destination of the mission.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    I can't believe Rockstar took away the 'Trip Skip' feature in GTA IV. This was included in both San Andreas and Vice City Stories, but was not included in GTA IV for some reason.

It was handy to beable to easily restart the mission, but would have been good to be able to skip the car journey to the destination of the mission.

Returned in The Lost and Damned. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Maybe for the next game they can include mid-mission checkpoints so if you are crap enough to die you don't have to start the mission from scratch.

I can't believe they haven't done this already.

I beleive, unless I'm wrong, that this was a feature on Chinatown Wars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    90% of the missions in GTA4 were, for the most part, a piece of cake anyway. It would have made the game way too easy to finish!
  • grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    Manchester! :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if they could transfer San Andreas to the 360 it would be unreal.

One of the few, if possibly the only, games I got completely immersed in. I used to ride around for ages on the harley just cruising down the road admiring the scenery :)

And once I got the jet pack, I used to always nip back and get that to get everywhere.

Also contains my most bizarre gaming moment .. I was walking into the bookies and noticed a large explosion at the end of the street.

Curiosity got the better of me and I wandered down to have a look and found a plane had dropped out of the sky and crashed in the middle of the street !!

Oh and going to the top of the really tall tower and jumping off on a motorbike .. that was always fun :)

But then i'm rambling ..
    Forum Member
    Yeah I agree, San Andreas was a joy to play. I used to love travelling through motorways and countryside getting from one mission to the next. Doing this, as long as you didn't use the jet pack to get there that is, would take you about 10/15 minutes or even longer if you explored the map further along your way. The map in San Andreas was simply huge.

I think, as Vice City was the second GTA game to appear on the PS2, that this will be the next GTA game for PS3 and Xbox 360. Rockstar will probably completely remake Vice City like they did with Liberty City in IV which was completely different than the PS2 version of the map.
  • CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Balld Of Gay Tony the last?

I thought it was just the last exclusive for the 360 and they were going to continue with episodic content?
    Forum Member
    CarlosVela wrote: »
    Why is Balld Of Gay Tony the last?

I thought it was just the last exclusive for the 360 and they were going to continue with episodic content?

It's just something I read in the latest edition of '360Gamer' magazine, but thinking about it maybe they were talking about the last of the 360 DLC ;)