Are you going into work on Monday morning (Snow Thread)

roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
Forum Member
✭✭
So with all this heavy snow we are having, we I am, in glasgow, a few cm, and more snow to come overnight, have already phoned my work, and seeing I can walk into work, I should come in at my normal time, and if shop is quite, they send me home

But how many here have to travel long distances, either by bus or by car, and on the advice of the police ypou should not travel

So who going to take the day of, and dont forget schools might be closed and someone got to look after the kids

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Nope not in tomorrow! Been told 3 others are snowed in too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Not snowing here - at all. So no problem for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 20 mile round trip on a bus, I've managed it the past 2 days in the bad weather in the NE, even walking some of it in -4 temps. I'm off tomorrow, but have to do the weekly shop (won't be panic buying tho) to do, so that'll be fun. Got 2 late nights tho this week which may be fun :s
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HollyG wrote: »
    Nope not in tomorrow! Been told 3 others are snowed in too!

lucky, where are you, scotland?

it's just a flurry in the mids so yes, i'll be in
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    This country is shit with snow. It's nowhere near as bad as it was last winter yet the country, again, seems to be coming to a stand still?

We are never prepared for snow. Why are people still snowed in? Do people not own spades any more?

My brother's car was stuck in the drive, but all we done was got a shovel and moved the snow. 10 minutes and he was away.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snow here in glasgow stopped falling around 3-4pm

Just looked out side, no snow yet, but starting to cloud over
  • Shady123Shady123 Posts: 4,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I'm in tomorrow :( although I'll have to walk from the station to work in freezing temperatures so that doesn't sound too fun :(
  • HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully I'll be going home from work!
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a bonus to the weather we also have a tube strike in London :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    As a bonus to the weather we also have a tube strike in London :(

The strike has been cancel due to heavy snow and will be reorganised for next week:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This country is shit with snow. It's nowhere near as bad as it was last winter yet the country, again, seems to be coming to a stand still?

We are never prepared for snow. Why are people still snowed in? Do people not own spades any more?

My brother's car was stuck in the drive, but all we done was got a shovel and moved the snow. 10 minutes and he was away.

There has been a lot of snow here and the only reason it's not as bad as last year yet is because it hasn't frozen. Thankfully, the 6-8 inches of snow outside our house is soft, so very easy to clear paths and cars.

I have the day off work tomorrow just hoping its not so bad I can't get to work on Tuesday, I had far too many snow days last year. My main issue is usually other drivers rather than the condition of the roads...
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No snow in the south east yet. I would walk there though, like I did last time, as it's only 5 minutes away. If the schools are closed, I would walk in at about 4.30am & leave work earlier to be home with the kids during the day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dont forget the winds are going to pick up, so alot of snow drifts, and if anyone is driving, not a good idea
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tube strike :mad:
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OH cleared the drive earlier to make sure the car can at least get onto the road but the roads around here are quite bad. He gets to use a snowplough at work tomorrow so that's probably the reason he was so eager to make sure he could make it to work.
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

true, not like when i was a lass

snow stopped nothing!

irishguy posted a video of thundersnow, bit stormy but reminded me of younger days and how people carried on
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »

snow stopped nothing!

irishguy posted a video of thundersnow, bit stormy but reminded me of younger days and how people carried on

1984 I think, I was 22 yrs old, and a apprentice painter, went into work at 7am, no snow at this time, we headed out to motherwell to our work

snow started to fall around 8am, and gradually got heavyer and heavyer, by 9am there was a good few cm's. 12pm the site foreman told everyone to go home, we headed for the train, we only got along a few stops, before being told the train wont be going any further, and we were all told to get of, there were no buses running either

Everything had come to a halt, we walked from Rutherglen to Glasgow, went into one of the hotels to heat up, before heading our own way home, took me 3-4 hr to get home, the roads were just impassible
  • cloudycloudy Posts: 3,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    Snow here in glasgow stopped falling around 3-4pm

Just looked out side, no snow yet, but starting to cloud over

It was looking good for a snow day at 11am today.

I don't think there is enough to get away with a snow day very disappointed with Mother Nature.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Đirona wrote: »

snow stopped nothing!

I can't remember a time when snow stopped anything until recently.

We always had to go to school. Everyone would still go to work. People would still go shopping. Now, a bit of snow falls and we go into lock down.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cloudy wrote: »
    It was looking good for a snow day at 11am today.

I don't think there is enough to get away with a snow day very disappointed with Mother Nature.

Mr Duff is just in and the bus driver told him that if more snow falls in our area (as forecast) overnight the buses could be off in our area as we are at the bottom of a couple of very steep hills. Nearest train station is Bishopbriggs some 40 minutes walk away, bugger that if it happens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a snowflake in sight where I live, so yep I'll be going in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    Mr Duff is just in and the bus driver told him that if more snow falls in our area (as forecast) overnight the buses could be off in our area as we are at the bottom of a couple of very steep hills. Nearest train station is Bishopbriggs some 40 minutes walk away, bugger that if it happens.

Well I guess it means you are walking, bugger:D, is that 40 min walking without snow, or with snow:rolleyes::D
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember a time when snow stopped anything until recently.

We always had to go to school. Everyone would still go to work. People would still go shopping. Now, a bit of snow falls and we go into lock down.

I blame 'compensation culture' for that. It's an ambulance chasing/insurance company's dream conditions.

Years ago my OH would have been loaned out amongst the other companies surrounding his workplace with their plough but nowadays it's only the councils or private contractors who'd be allowed to move the snow - just incase there would be claims against them.

Then of course, there was the situation a couple of years ago where it was rapidly spread around the country that you could be sued if you cleared snow on your own footpath.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    Well I guess it means you are walking, bugger:D, is that 40 min walking without snow, or with snow:rolleyes::D

40 minutes on a good day. Around two and a half miles, but it's across fields for part of it so the snow and wind will slow it down further. I wont be walking.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »

By the sounds of things I am very near where you are, and the buses are off here as far as I'm aware