Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    LOL Rob. Pumps usually refer to a woman's high heels. :D

(ask your wife)

But not too high or they're called stilettos.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    No, it's the right word for those shoes. Or at least I've heard it before in that context.

Rob's right - just not the ordinary usage. See this: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Formal-Pumps-with-Grosgrain-Ribbon-Bow/139H________BLCK_07H__D___,default,pd.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

See! See! :) I was not totally off my rocker...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Winklepickers another great name for men's shoes with pointy toes. Fashionable in 1950s and then again recently : )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Conniej wrote: »
    Let's Get Physical by Olivia Newton John?:D:D

If we're talking about that kind of song, I might throw in two more Sinatra songs:
    Satisfy me one more time
    Nice'n'Easy ("the trouble now of course is / to simply hold your horses / to rush would be a crime"):rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    If we're talking about that kind of song, I might throw in two more Sinatra songs:
    Satisfy me one more time
    Nice'n'Easy ("the trouble now of course is / to simply hold your horses / to rush would be a crime"):rolleyes:

If we're going the route of my namesake

It has to be ' My Way ' surely ?

All the words fit - for me anyway

Easy to ' dance ' to too :)
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow - bows on men's shoes? I obviously travel in the wrong circles. Guess Rob was right in that context :confused:

But do a google image search for "pumps" and you will see a very colorful page of my interpretation of pumps :D
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the doc would go for slip-on shoes of any kind. He would want a laced up black pair just as he wears 7 days a week (optimum ankle support).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I don't think the doc would go for slip-on shoes of any kind. He would want a laced up black pair just as he wears 7 days a week (optimum ankle support).

I wonder how many pairs he has, all just alike. In S5 there's a scene of him coming out of shop holding a package that has to be shoes, at least that's what it looks like. I figure he picked them up from a shoe repair shop. It's when he thought he heard JH crying (and it turned out he was right; JH was with Angie Grappy).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »

And for sure no bows. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mothers
    Dyou think it is possible to reconcile with a mother as horrible as Margaret Ellingham?

What do you think would be a believable premise for her return and her approach to DM?

I guess she could have found true love and realised what she said to DM last time was wrong.

Or the baby could have softened her?

I have total confidence in the writers making it believable but was just wondering what others thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow - I just had an ad for Brooks Brothers show up in my Facebook feed. After one click into their website. They see EVERYTHING!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Mothers
    Dyou think it is possible to reconcile with a mother as horrible as Margaret Ellingham?

What do you think would be a believable premise for her return and her approach to DM?

I guess she could have found true love and realised what she said to DM last time was wrong.

Or the baby could have softened her?

I have total confidence in the writers making it believable but was just wondering what others thought.
    I've been thinking about this, cc.cookie, but am not sure which possibility is most likely. The two ideas you mentioned, that she found love and realized the way she treated her son was wrong or her attitude softened by the birth of a grandchild, have run through my brain.

Also, maybe her Portuguese lover left her (or died, like Eleanor's Spanish lover) and she realized she's completely alone in the world, which ignited a need to reconnect with her son.:cool:

OR our own Cruella Daville is still evil. Portuguese lover left her and she's out of money and comes to Martin to weasel some money out of him (maybe she learned from Christopher). :mad:

OR she's lost her mind and somehow ended up in Portwenn but doesn't know how or why. ;)

OR she's had a religious experience and completely changed. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to reading other opinions too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow - I just had an ad for Brooks Brothers show up in my Facebook feed. After one click into their website. They see EVERYTHING!

I think it's called contextual advertising, isn't it? And it's done with cookies. Everything, yep.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I think it's called contextual advertising, isn't it? And it's done with cookies. Everything, yep.:eek:

I guess I'm mostly stunned by the speed that it happened - just an hour or so.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lady on Facebook named Carole is having the greatest bestest most awesome day imaginable !! Check it out on the fan club. MC is just the best!
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I guess I'm mostly stunned by the speed that it happened - just an hour or so.

I just went onto my FB news feed page and the sponsored ad at the top of the page is for Brooks Brothers - their Great Gatsby collection. Coincidentally my husband is wearing a BB polo shirt today. Spooky!:eek:
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Shameless namedrop lol, but enjoyed filming Doc Martin scene with Martin Clunes at Exeter Airport today :-)'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Conniej wrote: »
    'Shameless namedrop lol, but enjoyed filming Doc Martin scene with Martin Clunes at Exeter Airport today :-)'.
    Well, somebody's on the move. Let's see... maybe picking up mummy? (Or sending her away?) Honeymoon plans?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Martin says "I guess the word is out" and when David Marquez can't believe the popularity of the show in the US I find myself a bit dumbfounded. Do they have no idea what is happening in the States? When they are finally exposed to the mania I am actually worried for them. DM is the hottest thing on PBS. I only hope that the hysteria (us included) is presented with tact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, somebody's on the move. Let's see... maybe picking up mummy? (Or sending her away?) Honeymoon plans?
    According to our spoilers he was filming at Newquay airport last week?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    When Martin says "I guess the word is out" and when David Marquez can't believe the popularity of the show in the US I find myself a bit dumbfounded. Do they have no idea what is happening in the States? When they are finally exposed to the mania I am actually worried for them. DM is the hottest thing on PBS. I only hope that the hysteria (us included) is presented with tact.

IMHO, I'm not sure DM is as wildly popular in the whole of the USA as we here on the Forum think. I've definitely introduced the show to many friends and family (who are hooked, too), but the great majority of people I mention the show to in passing have never heard of it. I encourage them to look it up on Netflix of Hulu, but don't know if they ever do. Certainly, DM does not have nearly the "hysteria" that surrounds Downton Abbey, and PBS programming is not really enjoyed by the majority of adults in America. (Not really surprising, but the demographics for PBS viewership skew towards white, older, college educated, affluent liberal-leaning individuals.) Sadly, I tend to think we live in a bubble, here. :( Fortunately, with each passing year, the word spreads and DM gains new fans around the globe, the US included!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From all of the pictures and accounts we have seen for the last two weeks it looks like MC is having the time of his life with the fans in Port Isaac. A couple posted today on FB show him sitting on a wall in the middle of various fans and in one he is laughing pretty hard.

It makes me think that the issues earlier in filming with the crew keeping people at bay might have had more to do with MC being sick - and then returning and being very behind in the filming schedule.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMHO, I'm not sure DM is as wildly popular in the whole of the USA as we here on the Forum think. I've definitely introduced the show to many friends and family (who are hooked, too), but the great majority of people I mention the show to in passing have never heard of it. I encourage them to look it up on Netflix of Hulu, but don't know if they ever do. Certainly, DM does not have nearly the "hysteria" that surrounds Downton Abbey, and PBS programming is not really enjoyed by the majority of adults in America. (Not really surprising, but the demographics for PBS viewership skew towards white, older, college educated, affluent liberal-leaning individuals.) Sadly, I tend to think we live in a bubble, here. :( Fortunately, with each passing year, the word spreads and DM gains new fans around the globe, the US included!:D

Unfortunately, my perception in my little world mirrors these remarks by DCcurlygirl because Doc Martin is under-advertised. Virtually NO mention of DM or MC in US media. I have 300 or so followers on Facebook (intelligent, socially involved, politically savvy and only ONE is a fan of DM! BTW, if you aren't aware of FB Graph Search, you should be. It does data mining for you. So I did a search of my followers who were DM fans. You can also search for DM fans in your city, or who graduated frim your clollege, etc. Easy, quick, fascinating!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps you are right. My perception may be colored by the fact that my elderly neighbors in Tucson introduced me to the program and that upon arriving in Panama I met a guy in the neighboring casita who is an avid fan. Lets just wait and see. Until then I'll continue to communicate with all the rest of us crazies. M
This discussion has been closed.