The Planners returns in new guise - BBC2

SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
Forum Member
✭✭
Planning back on prime-time TV
The ground-breaking television programme Planners is back next week for a second series with a new title and a new slot on BBC Two.

Permission Impossible: Britain’s Planners will return on Tuesday 25 February 2014 at 7pm on BBC Two. The eight-part series will transmit daily from Tuesdays to Fridays, over two weeks.

Sourced from here http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/general/news/stories/2014/february14/200214/200214_1

Something better than The One Show to watch.

Comments

• StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed this last year - But 4 nights a week....overkill methinks.

I'll still watch them all, but not every night.
  • Island_stateIsland_state Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Oops, I posted to the wrong thread.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    How on earth is yet another fly-on-the-wall documentary "ground-breaking"?!
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its about people building stuff, there will be actual ground breaking taking place. So if its a new format it will be ground breaking ground breaking TV.

If, on the other hand, its a new format about the fractalisation of powdered down soil during construction,it would be ground ground breaking ground breaking breaking TV.
  • johnhughjohnhugh Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Thanks to the original poster for the alert as I enjoyed this series last year.

Seems odd to strip it throughout the week and to schedule it at 19:00 which is a graveyard slot due to the prominence of soaps. Interesting programme, but not something I want to watch every evening.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,987
    Forum Member
    johnhugh wrote: »
    Thanks to the original poster for the alert as I enjoyed this series last year.

Seems odd to strip it throughout the week and to schedule it at 19:00 which is a graveyard slot due to the prominence of soaps. Interesting programme, but not something I want to watch every evening.

Graveyard?

BBC2 has been doing some interesting scheduling in that time slot, the colourful (my butler carries my overnight bag) Michael Portillo, the Hairy Bikers (no not Mel & Sue) and Interior Designs among other programmes.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth is yet another fly-on-the-wall documentary "ground-breaking"?!

I did find the original series to be interesting and a step above the usual fly-on-the-wall but calling it "ground breaking" is certainly -over-egging it.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching!
  • Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    Loved the first series. Looking forward to this.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Haha, I'm going to have to turn it off as I can feel my blood pressure rising.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not keen on Steve's ideas at all.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    What a bunch of self-serving opinions.
  • peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it only older people who moan on about planning applications?. Yet to anyone younger than a pensioner on the show.
    Forum Member
    It is a silly place for a builders yard, when there are industrial estates everywhere only half filled.
    Forum Member
    Mr Keyholder doesn't want the fame. He qualifies as a celebrity now.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daft scheduling for the second series - this got good ratings once a week at 8pm last time. Every weekday at 7, don't understand that??
    Forum Member
    The Developer makes it sound like he is doing the world a favour and no mention of the millions he makes form his business.
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That guy just wasted his 45 seconds by being literary and poetic with his objection instead of being factual.
    Forum Member
    Colditz was a castle and didn't have watchtowers like that. I think she was thinking of concentration camps.
  • Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    Is it only older people who moan on about planning applications?.

Seems to be. Older people don't like change and they have the time to devote to making objections.

The age of Councillors on planning committees is far too skewed to the elderly as well.

And I say that as an oldster myself - but one who likes change!
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit I sympathised with the objectors to the "ultra modern" houses. Similar thing happened in our village - an ultra modern house built in an estate of much older housing. The people in the ultra modern decided to move - and couldn't sell the house! People just didn't like it. Ended up a builder bought the land for £80,000 (The house had cost £750k to build) and demolished it. Built a new house in keeping with the area and sold it for £1m.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For quite a while now if you don't like BBC1 on Monday evening you really won't like it Tuesday either. (Or Weds/Thurs/Fri) Because it's largely the same programming.

And now they're doing the same thing to BBC2?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    Seems to be. Older people don't like change and they have the time to devote to making objections.

The age of Councillors on planning committees is far too skewed to the elderly as well.

And I say that as an oldster myself - but one who likes change!

My job involves sitting in council committees a lot of the time, and whilst I am not a planner, I have been involved with my fair number of planning committees.

You are right, there is definately a "type" of person who attends committees and a lot of the time when the application is something contentious the objectors are filled with their own self importance and spend too long speaking to the public instead of talking in planning terms to the committee, then get annoyed when thier objections are over ruled as not planning objections. Remember, there are strict laws and guidelines about what facts can be taken into account by the committee and legally, there is always a presumption of approval. It is very costly for councils to have to fight appeals, especially when their justifications are weak.

The age, gender and ethnicity of councillors across many parts of the UK is a problem as retired, white men make up the vast majority. The problem is that not enough other types of people put themselves forward for election.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Not keen on Steve's ideas at all.
    Thought the Neighbours fence needed a lick of Paint - that was an eyesore...;-)
    And did I see a Stobart sign in Steve's Garden......cheeky.

Great start to the new series....but I didn't catch if the Builders Yard got approved, the Guy checking it out, thought it would be a non-starter.:confused:

Did feel sorry for the Ellesmere Port Locals.
  • quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this programe!

Always shocked by the planning committee's ways. I was suprised that the woman wouldn't get off the bus because she "didn't do rain" - thought that was a terrible attitude!

I liked the young woman who spoke in favour of one of the developments - saying that we can't stop developments just becuase they are "modern" we have to move forward.

I am always surprised to see the houses that people come out of when they are complaining about a new build - they often seem to be quite new and would have been objected to maybe in the past?

I thought it was telling that the Redrow man said that he was spending more in planning fees that he was in building.

I would like to see what would happen if a new development went up and it was offered to the neighbour's children at a discounted price IF they didn't put up any objections - I wonder if they would mind so much about the view etc then?

Thought it was funny when they said they had all been out looking for a crested newt!

I felt sorry for the farming couple to a degree but unfortunately when you rent your home you don't have the final say.

I think that there will be disruption when the housing development goes up - but it will be for a limited time and you can't keep saying NIMBY can you? The houses etc have to go somewhere?

I can't understand the objections to the builders yard - what was there was not that pretty to start with!

Re the listed building - I am not sure where I stand on that - it was a beautiful building in a beautiful setting but what to do with it? It's the sort of thing that somewhere else might attract an audience as luxury apartments but in denbyshire (isn't that near Rhyl) not sure how many people would be able to afford to live that far out from work etc?

If it cost 1.9M to put a temporary roof on it then god knows what the upkeep would be! Still love it though! :)