Actors who leave you 'cold'

1235»

Comments

• treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I know who he was. I thought his English accent was bad, regardless of the reason for him using it. They should have used an English actor in my opinion.

I agree. Alec Guinness was perfect for the role. McGregor was far from perfect.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Nick Frost
    Ice T
    William Snow
    Chill Wills
  • Marsh.Marsh. Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    Nick Frost
    Alex Winter
    January Jones
    Ice Cube

Already done last week...
    Nick Frost
    Ice T
    William Snow
    Chill Wills
    Forum Member
    Marsh. wrote: »
    Already done last week...

Beaten to the punch. Almost seems malicious.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jake Gyllenhall...ever since he did that crappy cop reality thing
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Laurence Olivier.

Although I don't for a second dispute the acclaim he gets. Just I've never quite got him if that makes sense?
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laurence Olivier.

Although I don't for a second dispute the acclaim he gets. Just I've never quite got him if that makes sense?

I know what you mean. I think stage acting doesn't always translate to film.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I think stage acting doesn't always translate to film.
    Olivier was always more a stage legend than a screen one but he did have several great performances - The Entertainer, Rebecca etc.
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I agree. Alec Guinness was perfect for the role. McGregor was far from perfect.
    McGregor sounded more like Noel Coward than a younger Guinness. It's quite amusing to listen to, and probably not McGregor's fault, given Lucas's famous tin ear for dialogue and wooden performances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Matt Damon
    Ben Affleck
    Bradley Cooper
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jude Law
    Adam Sandler
    Jason Statham
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,169
    Forum Member
    As a film buff of almost 70 years, I have always been mystified over the acclaim of Ingrid Bergman. She just leaves me cold, and although I love all of the other actors in Casablanca, I can't watch it because of her. She spoiled Murder on the Orient Express for me, especially when out of all of the wonderful actors appearing in the film, she was the one awarded a Best Supporting Actress Oscar.

I looked at her Imdb profile and I was surprised to see that there are others that share my opinion, although of course the majority praise her to the skies.

I always liked Sir John Gielgud's comment, and he knew something about acting.

"Dear Ingrid, speaks five different languages and can't act in one of them!" :D

I also found Rita Hayworth vastly overrated as a sex goddess and actress. For me, Ava Gardner was a far better actress and just about the most beautiful woman to ever appear in front of a movie camera.

As for todays "stars", Tom Hanks, Nicholas Cage and Cumberbatch are just three reasons why I no longer go to the cinema. ;-)
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russell Crowe already mentioned is the biggest stand out for me. Gladiator was a good film but I just don't get him.

Judy Garland, was terrible actress and a rotten singer, for me.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,169
    Forum Member
    Russell Crowe already mentioned is the biggest stand out for me. Gladiator was a good film but I just don't get him.

Judy Garland, was terrible actress and a rotten singer, for me.

Judy was like Marmite, you either loved her or hated her, but you couldn't ignore her.
    I can understand that all the things that I loved about her would irritate those who just couldn't see what her admirers saw.
  • Balbinder MannBalbinder Mann Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Harrison Ford.

There. I've said it. ;)

Love a lot of the films he's been in I mean really love), but as a star...??? I don't think he's a bad actor by any means, I don't think he's great. He's just there. On the screen.

Really never been able to fathom it - why he's popular. I think he's quite boring TBH. I always thought he's been out-acted by his co-stars in many, if not all, his movies.

It might just be me, but I really do think he's the most over-rated movie star of all time! :D
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Hardy
    Can only play hardman roles
  • allyred83allyred83 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I definitely agree with Harrison Ford!

I can't watch anything with Michael Douglas in it, if he's in something then that's it I won't watch.
    Forum Member
    Harrison Ford.

There. I've said it. ;)

Love a lot of the films he's been in I mean really love), but as a star...??? I don't think he's a bad actor by any means, I don't think he's great. He's just there. On the screen.

Really never been able to fathom it - why he's popular. I think he's quite boring TBH. I always thought he's been out-acted by his co-stars in many, if not all, his movies.

It might just be me, but I really do think he's the most over-rated movie star of all time! :D

I think he's limited in what he can play. He can do the reserved business man sort of role in Frantic quite well but you wouldn't believe him as a mafia boss or Marvel villain or playing an extrovert as he seems a bit awkward playing "showy". Blade Runner was ideal for him.

Ryan Gosling also gave a similar "it's all in the eyes" performance in Drive.

I think most actors suit a narrow range of roles.