Options

Tom Hardy - this generation's Marlon Brando?

Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
Forum Member
So a new Tom Hardy movie is coming out next week with Legend where he has another killer role playing the Kray twins. It's been 5 years since he first caught mainstream attention with Inception (though he had given fantastic performances before in Stuart A Life Backwards and Bronson) and is already regarded as probably the best actor working today.

The guy is just a BEAST of an actor that I think has the same incredibly dominating screen presence that Brando had. Of course Brando had that now unattainable level of attention since he did what he did first so it was new. Hardy has this but on top of this he can gain and shred his own weight like no tomorrow to fit almost any type of character. And his range of accents he pulls of is unparalleled :cool:

He should have had at least 3 or 4 Oscar nods by now but I guess the Academy like nominating mediocre actors like Cumberbatch and Eddie Redmayne. But whatever, Hardy looks masterful playing the gangster twins in Legend...

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The academy are not honoring Tom Hardy because his choice in films and roles are hardly oscar worthy. Apart from Bronson and the upcoming Legend, he hasn't given any oscar worthy performances. Certainly not enough to have 3-4 oscar nods that you think he should have by now. I would say out of the british actors working right now, Jack O'Connell and Michael Fassbender are the best and consistent. Michael Fassbender's performance in Shame is now regarded as one of the best performances by a british actor in the last 10 years. While Jack is regarded as one of the best young actors of his generation.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jack o conner plays a chav in everything dont he? dont get me wrong i like him

hardy is the man though. deserves an oscar jsut for bane lol

who do the academy know,they said no country for old men as the best film once lol
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben_Caesar wrote: »
    So a new Tom Hardy movie is coming out next week with Legend where he has another killer role playing the Kray twins. It's been 5 years since he first caught mainstream attention with Inception (though he had given fantastic performances before in Stuart A Life Backwards and Bronson) and is already regarded as probably the best actor working today.

The guy is just a BEAST of an actor that I think has the same incredibly dominating screen presence that Brando had. Of course Brando had that now unattainable level of attention since he did what he did first so it was new. Hardy has this but on top of this he can gain and shred his own weight like no tomorrow to fit almost any type of character. And his range of accents he pulls of is unparalleled :cool:

He should have had at least 3 or 4 Oscar nods by now but I guess the Academy like nominating mediocre actors like Cumberbatch and Eddie Redmayne. But whatever, Hardy looks masterful playing the gangster twins in Legend...
    So you're a bit of a fan then? :D

Pretty much everything you've written is completely wrong, or at best, personal opinion presented as fact, but your devotion to him is kinda sweet. :)
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen the trailer for legend. Is it just me or does he sound like Steve coogan in one scene. " I come here for a shoot out like a western" that scene.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    I've seen the trailer for legend. Is it just me or does he sound like Steve coogan in one scene. " I come here for a shoot out like a western" that scene.

Ha ha! You've ruined that scene for me now ;)

He's Brandoesque in so much as there are few method actors around now.
  • Options
    dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind, not worth it.
  • Options
    Cletus Van DamnCletus Van Damn Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    He should be ashamed of himself glamourising the paedo scumbag Kray twins.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The academy are not honoring Tom Hardy because his choice in films and roles are hardly oscar worthy. Apart from Bronson and the upcoming Legend, he hasn't given any oscar worthy performances. Certainly not enough to have 3-4 oscar nods that you think he should have by now.
    gashead wrote: »
    Pretty much everything you've written is completely wrong, or at best, personal opinion presented as fact, but your devotion to him is kinda sweet. :)
    I don't think the OP knows what objectivity is.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Far too early in his career to be comparing him to Brando.

I think he's a very good actor he has had some great parts, but is yet to have that breakout role in a major movie that appeals to everyone.

A lot of his choices have been slightly controversial, a lot of people did not like his portrayal of Bane for example, and Bronson was definitely out-there.

Personally I think he was extraordinary in Locke, but that was kind of an indie, low-budget affair and a lot of people would not have seen it.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never rated Brando , he was good in Last Tango and Godfather , but not much else , he did a lot of dross as well .

Hardy's good in some stuff , he's good at 'intense' but I doubt he'd be much good in a comedy .
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Far too early in his career to be comparing him to Brando.
    Maybe he just expects Hardy to get fat and take mediocre roles.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brando was also good in:

A Street Car named Desire
    On The Waterfront
    The Men
    and
    The Young Lions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »

But then Steve Coogan mimics everyone else, doesn't he?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The academy are not honoring Tom Hardy because his choice in films and roles are hardly oscar worthy. Apart from Bronson and the upcoming Legend, he hasn't given any oscar worthy performances. Certainly not enough to have 3-4 oscar nods that you think he should have by now. I would say out of the british actors working right now, Jack O'Connell and Michael Fassbender are the best and consistent. Michael Fassbender's performance in Shame is now regarded as one of the best performances by a british actor in the last 10 years. While Jack is regarded as one of the best young actors of his generation.

You do know Fassbender ISN'T British right? Anyway I love Fassbender, he's one of my top 10 favourite actors but please, Hardy is on another level. He gave incredible performances in Bronson, Locke, Warrior, The Drop and Lawless. The first 3 alone are better than Fassy's Shame performance, even though people insist that's his 'best' performance. And LOL at the Jack O'Connell mention. So he's given one or two 'promising' performances but it's a freaking insult to compare him to the actual top British actors right now like Hardy, DDL, Caine and Oldman who have far more expansive performances under their belt.
    I never rated Brando , he was good in Last Tango and Godfather , but not much else , he did a lot of dross as well .

Hardy's good in some stuff , he's good at 'intense' but I doubt he'd be much good in a comedy .

He was hilarious in Bronson. One of those rare genius performance where a character walks the fine line between being terryfing and downright hilarious. And he was by a mile the best thing about This Means War which was a rom-com. But in general I'm glad he doesn't want to make comedies since that would be the a waste of the most intense actor working today after DDL.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I'm really looking forward to seeing "Legend"

It'll be the first film that I've used my Meerkat Movies app for. I got it 5 months ago. There hasn't been anything on at the cinema that I really wanted to see.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this generations Michael Caine at his rate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo1962 wrote: »

he's not that good .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    he's not that good .

He's better than Caine. I love him and he's given some of my favourite performances but put him in any role that isn't a Cockney character and watch him fail. Hardy has far more range, he's a chameleon actor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

God no...Michael Caine can't act!

He was at his best in the Ipcress File and Zulu.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's better than Caine. I love him and he's given some of my favourite performances but put him in any role that isn't a Cockney character and watch him fail. Hardy has far more range, he's a chameleon actor.

if Hardy ever gives a performance as good as Alfie or Get Carter - let me know .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    if Hardy ever gives a performance as good as Alfie or Get Carter - let me know .

Sounds like you've never seen Bronson or Warrior ^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Inception was the first film I saw Hardy in. Haven't seen all his films, but the ones I have -he's been terrific in them. The last film apart from Mad Max was Locke.

I think he's very talented and full of charisma. He deserves some sort of recognition.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God no...Michael Caine can't act!

He was at his best in the Ipcress File and Zulu.

I meant in terms of output
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant in terms of output

Oh, okay. I see your point.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brando only good in The Godfather and Last Tango in Paris whilst Michael Caine can't act?

Someone tell me this thread is a complete wind up?

Good god..