Options

Do you believe expensive items such as clothes or shoes are better quality...

storyofmylifestoryofmylife Posts: 1,324
Forum Member
✭✭✭
than if you purchased a £2 top for example. When it comes to shoes I think you have to naturally spend more than your average £5 maybe. I find shoes in New Look or Primark don't have the same quality feel or quality itself.

Comments

• Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On certain items absolutely.

Good things ain't cheap, cheap things ain't good.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people think they're buying top of the range stuff when they buy, say, £100 shoes.

The real quality stuff is made to measure, isn't available on the high street, and if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

If you're not at that level of purchasing, stop panicking about the £50 shoes vs the £79 shoes. No one will be able to tell.
  • Options
    FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,987
    Forum Member
    I believe you get what you pay for, that's been my experience anyway.
  • Options
    dellab49dellab49 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Depends on the item.

from the poundshop, you can get an item which will do the job, and will last years.

for only £1
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    than if you purchased a £2 top for example. When it comes to shoes I think you have to naturally spend more than your average £5 maybe. I find shoes in New Look or Primark don't have the same quality feel or quality itself.

I wouldn't expect much from a £5 shoe. But if they lasted a season then I wouldn't complain. On the other hand I don't see the sense of spending £500 on a pair of Louboutins either. I would expect them to last 100 times as long and they won't and if they did I am not sure I would still want to wear the same shoes for years to come.

Having said that the best pair of shoes I ever had were bought in 2006 from a factory shop for £3. I had to throw them away last year but I wore them to death
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    Depends. Sometimes they are.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I paid £3 for 5 pairs of socks out of Asda and within two weeks there are holes in them it's an utter disgrace. It's far more economical to buy better quality clothing than stuff that doesn't need constantly replaced. Who sells quality clothing nowadays though? The quality in M&S & Next has gone down the pan in my opinion.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how are you defining quality, materials used or how the item/s made?
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe so but I would expect so.
  • Options
    dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes..
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Price is no guarantee of quality. A lot of the time you're just paying for the name. Chances are product "a" and product "b" both came out of the same factory in Asia. Both handled by the same people. The only difference being, one has a budget label and the other has a premium label enabling the retailer to jack up the price.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    No.

I sometimes buy tshirts or shorts for holidays from asdas or tesco and they always seem to outlast some much more expensive clothes from other places.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    It depends on the item and the brand. I always spend more money on things like suits, cardigans, jumpers etc because when I buy the cheaper stuff it just starts to look awful after a while. Black knitwear seems to be the worst, the colour fades so quickly. However other things I'll buy fairly cheap as I can get away with that.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Some people think they're buying top of the range stuff when they buy, say, £100 shoes.

The real quality stuff is made to measure, isn't available on the high street, and if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

If you're not at that level of purchasing, stop panicking about the £50 shoes vs the £79 shoes. No one will be able to tell.

I was looking in a well known shoe store in Covent Garden last week, first name rhymes with bustle, second is a town in Kent, just past Beckenham.
    Prices for decent looking shoes started at £165, and went up to over £500, average was around £185 to £225.
    Last time I saw shoes for £100 was in Faro, Portugal a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a certain price point then you are just paying for the name rather then the quality...I have a couple of Armani shirts and the quality is very poor.

I think Steve Cram once said with regards to buying running shoes once you have reached £100 than anything over that there is not anything else they can do to a shoe to make it better.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't expect much from a £5 shoe. But if they lasted a season then I wouldn't complain. On the other hand I don't see the sense of spending £500 on a pair of Louboutins either. I would expect them to last 100 times as long and they won't and if they did I am not sure I would still want to wear the same shoes for years to come.

Having said that the best pair of shoes I ever had were bought in 2006 from a factory shop for £3. I had to throw them away last year but I wore them to death

BIB - excellent point. I hadn't thought of it like that before....

If I find clothes and shoes that I perceive to be nicely made and for some strange reason they're bargain basement prices, I tend to look after those ítems much better, as they're alot harder to find.......

Meaning anyone can go and buy really expensive clothing and shoes, so the appreciation isn't the same.

But rifling through markets and coming across something great, and only costing pennies, I tend to give alot more value to that.
  • Options
    thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It varies - and it depends what it's for.

Casual shirts for general every day wear - peacocks, primark, tesco, asda etc. are fine.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    dellab49 wrote: »
    Depends on the item.

from the poundshop, you can get an item which will do the job, and will last years.

for only £1

Agreed. Shop around for quality and price. Why pay M&S £25 or more for a mans traditional shirt when the identical shirt - if anything is of superior quality and cut at Primark for £6 or less. More than 5 years later and at least 200 washes the Primark collars are just beginning to show slight signs of wear.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can afford to pay for bespoke shoes or clothes, then you will see and feel the quality. Just don't waste money paying for mass produced labelled brands, you are paying for a name and the item is no better than one half the price.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on what it is, I have found that childrens shoes paying more can mean they last a lot longer, We have bought cheap shoes that have had holes after a week/few weeks and more expensive shoes that are grown out of and look new.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    It depends on the item. I know personally I've usually struggled to walk in cheap heels but when I buy more expensive heels (normally on sale) I can walk in them quite easily.

But on the other hand at the beginning of summer I brought a bunch of long strap tops/short dresses from ebay, they were cheap buy it nows and the intention was just to have them for the summer, they're still going strong and I think they'll probably last for a long time.
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    It's not always down to the materials used but the quality of the manufacturing

In my opinion and experience slightly more expensive clothing is made to fit better than cheap clothes
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    Agreed. Shop around for quality and price. Why pay M&S £25 or more for a mans traditional shirt when the identical shirt - if anything is of superior quality and cut at Primark for £6 or less. More than 5 years later and at least 200 washes the Primark collars are just beginning to show slight signs of wear.

I'm sorry but Primark shirts ( and other clothing ) are definitely not superior cut and quality ! Cheap shite and everyone knows it ! My 20 something sons buy stuff there and it's alright for them of course. If you're young and haven't got much money and you want cheap disposable fashion then fine, go to Primark. If you have more money and good taste then you go to independent clothing shops for quality.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't believe more expensive clothes on the high street are that much better than cheaper ones. I think the higher cost is mainly down to the brand label that's been put on them. I'm not saying there's no difference in build quality at all, just that the much higher price difference will be because of the brand name on them. Some 'brand name' trainers will be very expensive because of some novelty features on them.