Help find a song

Comments

• kikkakikka Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Which episode was it?

Hi Pandora ...I think it was episode 3 ...but I've managed to find the answer now ...it was Mott the Hoople , doling a version of You Really got Me ...many thanks for your offer of help .
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies for the delay in responding to recent replies, but I was banned for making a satirical comment in objection to the inexcusably sad, pathetic and insulting 'Best Boobs on TV' thread, which seems to exist solely for the gratification of immature 1970s throwbacks.

After hours of painful research into Celine, Mariah and Whitney, etc, the closest I've come to finding that song is Unbreak My Heart by Toni Braxton. It isn't the song I've been looking for, but has a similar feel, to the extent that the notes of the chorus could almost be the one I'm looking for played in reverse order. I really don't know where to look now; it received quite a lot of radio play at the time (almost certainly in 1998), yet I can't find it from any chart listings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Sorry. I'd try to help, but the link doesn't work for me. It's very annoying when you just can't remember a song that's stuck in your head. I did that with a Clubland song a while ago. The beat was in my head, but I didn't know the lyrics. I never found out what song it was.
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to be sure, it isn't Come What May from Moulin Rouge is it? It was the first thing that came to mind when I played those notes on my guitar. Not that it fits many of your feelings about it.

I feel as though I can vaguely visualise the kind of song you mean, but I can't bring it to mind..
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that boobs thread is a DS low point.

Looking for Love, Karen Ramirez?

I'm guessing that from 98 as your link doesn't seem to work for me for some reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    I agree that boobs thread is a DS low point.

Looking for Love, Karen Ramirez?

I'm guessing that from 98 as your link doesn't seem to work for me for some reason.
    I'm afraid that could hardly be further away from it (excluding death metal, etc). Remember that is sung in almost a free-form fashion, with no fixed rhythm at all.
    I can't think why the link doesn't work for you, unless it's possibly because you are using a Mac. I've no idea if it works on a phone as I never use my phone for web browsing.
    http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks2/music/piano/
  • Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The link doesn't work for me on my iPad...

Britney Spears Sometimes
    Rhianna Unfaithful

Sorry, just read you said definitely 1998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Shania Twain?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ha! LeAnn Rimes, How do I Live

Please be right!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I've established that I must have heard it on the factory radio in 1998 and as I heard it a few times, I think it's fair to assume it was a current release at that time.

I think you can safely dismiss any singer who has anything like a country & western 'twang' to their voice. I can imagine how Whitney Huston could have sung it, but I can't find anything of hers to match. If you can tap your fingers to it, it isn't the song.
  • Rob793Rob793 Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until your last post I was going to suggest Paula Cole - I Don't Want To Wait.

Other suggestions from that era that Youtube throws up: Natalie Imbruglia, Texas, Sixpence None The Richer.

Thoughts that come to my mind at the time are Des'ree or Lutricia McNeil.

Just some other suggestions;

Dina Carroll - Don't Be A Stranger

Wendy Moten - Come in Out of the Rain

Anita Baker - Sweet Love

Lisa Stansfield?

Alanis Morissette?

The Cranberries?
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob793 wrote: »

Other suggestions from that era that Youtube throws up: Natalie Imbruglia, Texas, Sixpence None The Richer.

Anita Baker - Sweet Love

Lisa Stansfield?

Alanis Morissette?

The Cranberries?

Think you hit the jackpot with Lutricia McNeal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was DJ'ing at the time so I'm certain I'll know it, when we find it.

Some more, probably wide of the mark but at least we can eliminate them:

Billie Myers - Kiss The Rain

Katrina & The Waves - Love Shine A Light

Tina Arena - Chains, Sorrento Moon or Heaven Help My Heart

Tina Arena also did a cover of Show Me Heaven by Maria McKee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other artists of the time to check out; Texas, Shola Ama, Tin Tin Out, Michelle Gayle

Madonna - Frozen or The Power of Goodbye

East 17 + Gabrielle - If You Ever

Eternal - Don't You Love Me or Angel of Mine

Honeyz - Finally Found

Dina Carrol - Escaping
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Dina Carroll suggestion!
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    Is this particular song definitely in B#?

I've played the melody and have tried to rack my brain for songs with those exact notes but can't think of anything - even though the notes, in that order, do sound a little familiar.
  • MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you see you imagine the singer in a big dress. Shania twain - from this moment on (It's not very country)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob793 wrote: »

Anita Baker - Sweet Love

Lisa Stansfield?

Alanis Morissette?

The Cranberries?
    Thanks for trying, but all of those are way off the mark. This is a sweeping ballad and the note sequence I included was part of the chorus.
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Is this particular song definitely in B#?

I've played the melody and have tried to rack my brain for songs with those exact notes but can't think of anything - even though the notes, in that order, do sound a little familiar.
    The problem is that although I sequenced the notes, I wasn't able to show the speed they are sung at, along with any slide or wobble. I don't have a microphone and probably couldn't hum it in tune anyway, but I might try to play the notes as they are sung and record it off my sound card as an mp3 file. Perhaps then I can find some way of playing it into one of those song finder websites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After many botched attempts, I have now hammered it out using my mouse, in what is a vague approximation of what I imagine the song to be (note how I'm leaving plenty of room for error with that statement). :D

It's very difficult to do on that virtual keyboard with my mouse, as it kept triggering off unwanted double notes. It's not exactly perfect, but I think it would have taken me all night to achieve anything better than that.

Here it is: http://www.watzatsong.com/en I titled it Mystery Song.

I'm now scared to death that when the song is eventually revealed, all my previous hints will be proved to be totally misleading.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    After many botched attempts, I have now hammered it out using my mouse, in what is a vague approximation of what I imagine the song to be (note how I'm leaving plenty of room for error with that statement). :D

It's very difficult to do on that virtual keyboard with my mouse, as it kept triggering off unwanted double notes. It's not exactly perfect, but I think it would have taken me all night to achieve anything better than that.

Here it is: http://www.watzatsong.com/en I titled it Mystery Song.

I'm now scared to death that when the song is eventually revealed, all my previous hints will be proved to be totally misleading.

Still sound familiar. Can't name it though, sorry. By the way, the title didn't show up, but your username did.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Kate Winslet - What if
    Martine mcutcheon - perfect moment
    Mariah Carey My All

Sorry you're sample didn't sound familiar to me so stabs in the dark there

Shops where I am play some power ballads I've never heard any where else - one is about a secret lover and another is a break up song containing lyrics "it could be so easy" it's not anything like them is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your latest link makes me think of a slow version of Uninvited by Alanis Morrisette or something by Fiona Apple who had a brief moment at that time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It couldn't possibly be Alanis Morissette or Kate Winslet and The Cranberries would be a dead giveaway. Perhaps somebody on WatZat Song will come up with a suggestion, although most of the people on there are posting electro tracks. I'm glad I didn't go down the humming route after hearing some of the attempts on there. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    It couldn't possibly be Alanis Morissette or Kate Winslet and The Cranberries would be a dead giveaway. Perhaps somebody on WatZat Song will come up with a suggestion, although most of the people on there are posting electro tracks. I'm glad I didn't go down the humming route after hearing some of the attempts on there. :D

:D I was thinking an acoustic version. I think I'm more involved in this than you are!
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ace of Base - Every Time It Rains (the original, not the dance remix).