Recording Problem

Baza 07Baza 07 Posts: 9
Forum Member
Hi all first post so be gentle please:).

What i would like to know is,it possible to copy a dvd to my
Humax box.

I have a ......

Humax PVR-9150T...and a Sony RDR-GX120 DVD Recorder

Cheers Baza

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither the 9150 or the 9300 has usb access to the internal hdd (the 9200 did) so without actually removing the hdd you can't. Software exists to create the right file format but without any way of uploading a file, it's not a lot of use to you.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And just to add. You cannot connect the DVD to the 9150 via SCART and record the DVD that way. The 9150 can only record from it's internal tuners. It cannot record any external video/audio signal at all.
  • Baza 07Baza 07 Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    And just to add. You cannot connect the DVD to the 9150 via SCART and record the DVD that way. The 9150 can only record from it's internal tuners. It cannot record any external video/audio signal at all.

Boo Hoo,thats the answer i hoped i would'nt get....:cry:

Ah well no worries,a Big Thanks to chrisjr and grahamlthompson for the replys
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baza 07 wrote: »
    Boo Hoo,thats the answer i hoped i would'nt get....:cry:

Ah well no worries,a Big Thanks to chrisjr and grahamlthompson for the replys
    Nature of the beast. Very very few (none?) PVRs like the 9150 record from external sources. They record telly programmes from their on board tuners and that is it.

Many modern DVD or Blu-Ray recorders have built in hard drives and have many of the features of PVRs. With the added feature (apart from the disk recorder obviously) that they do allow recording from external sources.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Neither the 9150 or the 9300 has usb access to the internal hdd (the 9200 did) so without actually removing the hdd you can't. Software exists to create the right file format but without any way of uploading a file, it's not a lot of use to you.
    Even with the PVR9200, transfer of video files from a PC to the PVR via USB is not possible. The original version of eLinker allowed it, but since all it did was to risk corrupting data on the PVR HDD, the facility was disabled in the updates.
    As a technical exercise it is possible to put video files (including ripped DVDs) onto a Humax SD PVR HDD via direct connection of the HDD to a PC, but it is of no value - it simply eats into the space available for recording TV and most users seek to do the reverse - offload TV recordings to a PC for writing to a DVD.
  • Bob1942Bob1942 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Nature of the beast. Very very few (none?) PVRs like the 9150 record from external sources. They record telly programmes from their on board tuners and that is it.

I can connect an external source to my Panasonic DMR-EX78EB I record internet radio from a Samsung SMART PVR via scart as the Samsung cannot record from the SMART content so I assume I could copy a DVD to the Pana HDD or DVD if I wished.
  • maldonianmaldonian Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Bob1942 wrote:
    I can connect an external source to my Panasonic DMR-EX78EB I record internet radio from a Samsung SMART PVR via scart as the Samsung cannot record from the SMART content so I assume I could copy a DVD to the Pana HDD or DVD if I wished.

I think some DVD/HDD recorders can clone an unprotected DVD via the HDD, but I think the EX78 can only copy a DVD by copying it to a new title on its HDD, in real time, by re-encoding while the DVD plays. (I'm assuming you're referring to a normal DVD, i.e. DVD-video format, and that it's not protected, e.g. one you've recorded.)

The two fundamental differences between a PVR and a DVD/HDD recorder are (1) the PVR does not have an mpeg encoder, it can only record video and audio that is already digitally encoded, whereas a DVD recorder can encode analogue video and audio, and (2) the PVR can only record undecoded digital signals from its digital tuner(s), whereas a DVD recorder can encode and record analogue signals from a number of sources, internal and external, including decoded video and audio from its digital tuner. (There may be exceptions, some PVRs can record at two bit rates - as broadcast and half this rate, I don't know how this is achieved.)

Although a DVD/HDD recorder is PVR-like in many ways, the recordings it makes from its digital tuner are not exact copies, they are decoded and then re-encoded at a bit-rate chosen by the user, whereas a PVR recording is an exact copy of the broadcast programme, it doesn't get decoded until it is played back.
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maldonian wrote: »
    Although a DVD/HDD recorder is PVR-like in many ways, the recordings it makes from its digital tuner are not exact copies, they are decoded and then re-encoded at a bit-rate chosen by the user, whereas a PVR recording is an exact copy of the broadcast programme, it doesn't get decoded until it is played back.
    What about when a DVD/HDD recorder records to HDD? Does it decode/encode in this case? Does the recording include the i-plate info and can you switch the subtitles on for an existing recording, as you can with (some) PVRs?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Yes, Yes and Yes.
  • maldonianmaldonian Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Max Demian wrote:
    What about when a DVD/HDD recorder records to HDD? Does it decode/encode in this case?
    High speed copying in either direction between the HDD and the DVD drive is not re-encoded, the result is an exact copy. Real-time copying HDD <--> DVD is re-encoded at the rate or quality the user has selected. Recordings from other sources are encoded at the rate set by the user.
    Does the recording include the i-plate info and can you switch the subtitles on for an existing recording, as you can with (some) PVRs?
    The answers may depend on the make of your recorder. When copying a DVD to the HDD in a Panasonic everything that appears on screen is recorded. When recording from the tuner, pressing the info button displays info on the screen but it is not recorded. Subtitles can be recorded by turning them on before you start recording, but they will be on the recorded video, you won't be able to turn them off during playback.

A PVR should be able to display anything it includes in the data stream it records in exactly the same way as when watching the same programme live.