Options

IDE to USB adapter

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    danco wrote:
    Does the 9200TReadFiles software recognise the drive? You might hae to go through the numbers to see which one is correct.

The file system on the Humax is such that it won't show up as a drive under My Computer IIRC.

Thanks danco. I had the wrong physical drive. I tried to convert the transferred TS file to mpg using HDTVtoMPEG2. It produced the mpg file but would not play using Media Player (Error Message - corrupt or Media Player does not support the format). Should I be using a different program to convert?

Thanks
    Martin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote:
    OK, good luck!

IDE/USB adaptor finally arrived and connected up to Hummey and wow what a differance. 1 file i've been trying to transfer via USB with loads of errors took 2 minutes to transfer to via the new method.

thanks son_t and Phew, much appreciated.

Woolfynorm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RunMartin wrote:
    I have installed the cable and the hummy sees the HD. I can record and playback now. When I connect to the PC (with the hummy in standby), the PC recognises the USB device has been connected but I cannot see the drive. Should it appear as a removable drive?. I have also tried it with the motherboard connector removed with the same result. Should the widget appear as a drive? I am using XP on a Toshiba laptop.

Well done!

The HDD does not 'appear' as anything - and if a Windows message pop up asking if you want to format a new installed drive - always say no.

Right-click on My Computer -> Select Manage -> Double click on Storage -> Double click on Disk Management

Then you should see the drive listed along with all the others on your PC. The disk number is the number you should type into phew's 9200TReadFiles program.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, instructions on how to use 9200TReadFiles can be found on phew's site: http://www.mudup.co.uk/humax/9200T/readfiles/index.htm

And also on: http://h2d.wikispaces.com/Transfering+files+using+9200TReadFiles
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    RunMartin wrote:
    Thanks danco. I had the wrong physical drive. I tried to convert the transferred TS file to mpg using HDTVtoMPEG2. It produced the mpg file but would not play using Media Player (Error Message - corrupt or Media Player does not support the format). Should I be using a different program to convert?

Thanks
    Martin

Glad it worked. I can't help with software as I use a Mac. I have found one or two files that behaved badly (in one program they would play, in another there was sound but no video) that I managed to reconvert and they then worked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is probably Windows Media Player that is playing up ;)

Try using VLC player (for both mpeg and ts) to play the file and see if it still has the same sound problem...
  • Options
    youngbazyoungbaz Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote:
    Well done!

Then you should see the drive listed along with all the others on your PC. The disk number is the number you should type into phew's 9200TReadFiles program.

I hope you don't think I'm nit-picking son_t, but do you mean drive letter? When I go through the procedure you give, I get the usual listing of C, E, F, G, H, I - same as on Windows Explorer etc.

It's just that I don't want to be pressing any wrong buttons here! :o

Barry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See this picture youngbaz. You see the red underlines indicate the 'Disk #' the number # is what you enter in 9200TReadFiles. You see the program works at a much lower level than your Windows... which assign drive letters and names to physical disks and their partitions...

If your Hummy HDD appears on your Windows PC as a drive with an assigned drive letter then... oh dear... you have formated it and erased all your recordings! :eek: (Not recommended!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second batch of cables all sold out!

None left :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    ebay seller 'hot_market' has the usb-ide widget for 99p plus £2.99 shipping. He sells it without the power adapter that all the other sellers have (which you don't need for this project)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    killie99 wrote:
    ebay seller 'hot_market' has the usb-ide widget for 99p plus £2.99 shipping. He sells it without the power adapter that all the other sellers have (which you don't need for this project)
    Is this the item you refer to? *eBay Link*
    If so, is that all I need to convert a vanilla Hummy?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    omertron wrote:
    Is this the item you refer to? *eBay Link*
    If so, is that all I need to convert a vanilla Hummy?

Not quite, you need an IDE extension cable as well - you can make your own or buy one from Son_t - you can PM him to see if he has any.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I do not. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    killie99 wrote:
    Not quite, you need an IDE extension cable as well - you can make your own or buy one from Son_t - you can PM him to see if he has any.
    I've a million of the things left over from all the PC builds I've done in the past, though I gather I need a female to male rather than male to male as is the standard pc one?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I just untangled our 9200 from all the other bits in the cupboard under the stairs, fitted a son_t IDE lead and an eBay IDE->USB gizmo, and everything seems to be working fine. Very fast downloads!

Dunno what to do with all the spare USB cable. Shoving it through the CAM hole seems to risk it all snagging inside. But this looks like the best option for now.

If Humax ever get their own USB functions working, I'll happily remove this extra stuff. If they don't, I guess I might drill an extra hole for the USB cable and coil it all externally.

Ian
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    hey all

i tried to make this mod but sumthings gone wrong. not sure what!

ive put the original 2way ide cable back now, but every time i strt the 9200 up, it takes ages to load up then asks if i want to format my original hard drive!

i dont wanna format it cos all my old recordings are still there. the drives not corrupted as when i transfer files over using a usb-ide cable plugged directly into the drive readfiles071 is copying the files over.

have i messed up my 9200? the jumpers set to cable select so not sure wat i can do!

can anyone help?
  • Options
    beastmanbeastman Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    bit late now but has anyone got one of these spare that they could sell me?
  • Options
    plugs13ampplugs13amp Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    search ebay for "usb to ide", there are lots of suppliers. here's one from the first page for £2.38. Note this comes without a power supply, but if you are going to permanently install it inside the Humax, you don't need one. I modded my 9200T with one of these (different supplier) many years ago, still working fine. I made up a new IDE cable with bits ordered from CPC Farnell.

For software, I use 9200TReadfiles_v094. Here's a link to the only place I can find v0.94

if you connect your pc using this, always use the USB Safely Remove Hardware icon to disconnect it before you unplug it.
  • Options
    beastmanbeastman Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    plugs13amp wrote: »
    search ebay for "usb to ide", there are lots of suppliers. here's one from the first page for £2.38. Note this comes without a power supply, but if you are going to permanently install it inside the Humax, you don't need one. I modded my 9200T with one of these (different supplier) many years ago, still working fine. I made up a new IDE cable with bits ordered from CPC Farnell.

For software, I use 9200TReadfiles_v094. Here's a link to the only place I can find v0.94

if you connect your pc using this, always use the USB Safely Remove Hardware icon to disconnect it before you unplug it.

thanks. Sorry I should have said I was after a modded cable set up so its permanently in the machine with the usb ready to connect:

http://humaxdisk.wikispaces.com/Disk+Cabling+and+Mods

Actually I've already got a USB/IDE widget cable - just dont fancy making the modded cable, as I will probably mess it up.
    Has anyone got one spare they can flog me?