Those 12 years... *spoilers*

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After he has left, the door in the corner of the eye opens as Amelia packs her stuff and when she is outside, there is this humanoid figure moving through the kitchen. This may or may not be the same being that opened the door.

A lot of people believe that figure in the Kitchen is the Doctor from the future revisiting his own timeline.
    stcoop wrote: »
    Amy forgot the Daleks because EVERYBODY has forgotten the Daleks; just like everybody in the 19th century forgot the Cyberking.

It's a way of wiping the slate clean of people in the Present Day being au fait with the existance of aliens, that's all.

Would have been nice for the Doctor to have doublechecked this though by asking Rory (or anyone from 2010) about the Daleks.

To my mind erasing Davros and the Daleks from Time causes too many problems and we'll revert back to the previous state of afairs by the end of the series.

What is the effect of this on certain characters? If the Daleks never existed did Rose travel back from Pete's World? Did the Doctor get partly exterminated? Did Donna become part Timelord? Was Doc10b ever created?
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    allen_who wrote: »
    I believe it's got something to do River Song and how she learned to fly the Tardis. And more specifically who taught her to do it. 'I was taught by the Best' in her own words.
    I think the Doctor taught/teachers River to fly the TARDIS, she was just teasing him when she implied it was someone else.
    Once it's been aired where? ;)
    I do agree I used the spoiler in the title incorrectly, but being new and cautius and without being able to edit posts. What can I do? As for the spoiler tag hiding my theory, It's what I like to do. I want people to read the details on which I've based the theory first.
    Once it's aired in the UK. I wasn't having a go at your use of spoiler tags, plenty people do that and it's generally better to be safe than get yelled at ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    I think the crack has somehow meant that the Dalek (and probably other alien) invasions didn't happen. I do agree that Amy could have some connection to Prisoner Zero though, something more than him/her just hiding in her house. Also, Amy seems to know the Doctor a lot better than she should given the amount of time they've spent together, which could be either my imagination, bad writing or somehow connected to the crack as well.

I was always under the impression that once an episode has aired its contents are no longer a spoiler.

yes that is true if you live in the UK, but i think i'm right in saying that the USA is currently two weeks behind the UK so revealing information about an episode that has just aired in the UK would definately be a spoiler for folks over the pond as was seen with the thread 'they have to bring back Rory'!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    A lot of people believe that figure in the Kitchen is the Doctor from the future revisiting his own timeline.
    Yeah, that's one of the obvious choices, but could it be someone else?
    What is the effect of this on certain characters? If the Daleks never existed did Rose travel back from Pete's World? Did the Doctor get partly exterminated? Did Donna become part Timelord? Was Doc10b ever created?
    I'm guessing many of these events are fixed points in history and the outcome will be the same. People just remember it differently, in some way that makes sense.

Also, the Daleks might be temporarily erased by the cracks... somehow
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes that is true if you live in the UK, but i think i'm right in saying that the USA is currently two weeks behind the UK so revealing information about an episode that has just aired in the UK would definately be a spoiler for folks over the pond as was seen with the thread 'they have to bring back Rory'!

While I do sympathise with that, it would be odd to suggest that we all use spoiler tags until every single episode of Dr Who has aired elsewhere in the world:p;). I don't know where Dr Who is sold to apart from the USA, but digi spy is a UK forum. Maybe if there is enough interest, it would be worthwhile to create a subforum for US pace?

As I said before, I didn't watch Saturday's episode until yesterday, and for that very reason I stayed off the forum.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

Would have been nice for the Doctor to have doublechecked this though by asking Rory (or anyone from 2010) about the Daleks.

To my mind erasing Davros and the Daleks from Time causes too many problems and we'll revert back to the previous state of afairs by the end of the series.

They've already had this explained - nothing will happen to what has been established. Whatever has been erased has still left its influence behind - hence the Weeping Angels two-parter. Even though the original angel (the one that caused the crash of the Byzantium) had been eradicated by the crack, the crash had still happened...

Anything it erases will have already happened, so they could quite easily take it back to a clean slate, should they choose to, without any need for further explanations - as they have already explained this!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    They've already had this explained - nothing will happen to what has been established. Whatever has been erased has still left its influence behind - hence the Weeping Angels two-parter. Even though the original angel (the one that caused the crash of the Byzantium) had been eradicated by the crack, the crash had still happened...

Anything it erases will have already happened, so they could quite easily take it back to a clean slate, should they choose to, without any need for further explanations - as they have already explained this!

But what we've been shown contradicts itself.

Yes the Byzanthium still crashed even though the Angels were wiped from time but then we were also told that the Angel in Amy's eye disapeared because the original Angel never existed.

Two events the Crash and Amy getting an Angel in her Eye, one still happens the other does not.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Two events the Crash and Amy getting an Angel in her Eye, one still happens the other does not.

There are many reasons that a starship could crash. The universe re-orders itself to fit the new situation.
    Forum Member
    But what we've been shown contradicts itself.

Yes the Byzanthium still crashed even though the Angels were wiped from time but then we were also told that the Angel in Amy's eye disapeared because the original Angel never existed.

The crashed Byzantium was tangible - the 'memory-angel' was not. There was solid evidence of the crash, but not for the Angel.

They were very different happenings.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Omega is involved as well (look at RS's shoulder patch). RS killed a hero, Omega was called the greatest hero by an earlier Doctor. Omega is anti-matter. Matter and anti-matter are "things that should never meet" and if they do, there will be an explosion from the released energy.

Sounds intriguing... What is on her Shoulder patch that you have spotted?. I've searched on the net but can't find anything. What have you spotted?

Also with regards my theory. I'm wondering if the crack in time is following Amy around as the expolded Tardis knows she is the only one that can prevent it all....

The fact that Rory died in the last ep was there to demonstrate that timelines can be altered...
    Forum Member
    Sounds intriguing... What is on her Shoulder patch. I've searched on the net but can't find anything. What have you spotted?

It's here, but beware. It's far-fetched :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's here, but beware. It's far-fetched :D

I don't think that's far fetched at all. I think it's 'on the money' personally.

That shoulder patch is deffo the symbol for Omega. Good spot

I believe RS eventually destroys the Tardis to stop Omega. Hence killing a good man. The destroyed Tardis is chasing Amy as it knows she is the only who can alter things as the Doc is locked in the Pandorica....
    Forum Member
    Sounds intriguing... What is on her Shoulder patch that you have spotted?. I've searched on the net but can't find anything. What have you spotted?

Also with regards my theory. I'm wondering if the crack in time is following Amy around as the expolded Tardis knows she is the only one that can prevent it all....

The fact that Rory died in the last ep was there to demonstrate that timelines can be altered...

The crack isn't following anyone around. The explosion that caused it was so big it cracked all of time and space - the crack is everywhere and every time, so we're bound to see it.

This was explained by the Doctor in F&S.

Also, the Omega sign was part of the Army's insignia - as they are a religious bunch (the Churches are the armies, as explained in the episode), it will be very likely that the Omega sign refers to nothing more the the Alpha and the Omega - as in Christianity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The crack isn't following anyone around. The explosion that caused it was so big it cracked all of time and space - the crack is everywhere and every time, so we're bound to see it.

This was explained by the Doctor in F&S.

Also, the Omega sign was part of the Army's insignia - as they are a religious bunch (the Churches are the armies, as explained in the episode), it will be very likely that the Omega sign refers to nothing more the the Alpha and the Omega - as in Christianity.

Yep, well you have your views and they differ from mine...
    Forum Member
    Yep, well you have your views and they differ from mine...

That's not my view!

That's as explained in the episode - this isn't an opinion, it's fact...

Your hypothesis would work were it not for the fact that it has been refuted in the actual episodes itself.

But you are entitled to your own ideas, even if they contradict established facts.

But if you meant the Omega thing - that's just what I got from it, knowing about the religious side of things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not my view!

That's as explained in the episode - this isn't an opinion, it's fact...

Your hypothesis would work were it not for the fact that it has been refuted in the actual episodes itself.

But you are entitled to your own ideas, even if they contradict established facts.

Don't see the point in getting angry about it. It's possible for the Doc to have said something and later realise he got it wrong isn't it? Also since you want to quote the Doc - he's also said to Amy - 'it's got something to do with you...'

Anyway the crack is pretty much always appearing near where the Tardis, or Amy is, or has been. I don't see too many examples in the show of it appearing in a random scene where the main cast aren't on show...
    Forum Member
    Don't see the point in getting angry about it. It's possible for the Doc to have said something and later realise he got it wrong isn't it? Also since you want to quote the Doc - he's also said to Amy - 'it's got something to do with you...'

Anyway the crack is pretty much always appearing near where the Tardis, or Amy is, or has been. I don't see too many examples in the show of it appearing in a random scene where the main cast aren't on show...

Firstly - that's how I always type. I also believe there's no point getting angry about it.

Secondly, you can be the cause of something without it following you about after wards. This is what I think happened - from the facts given so far. It might change, and your leap in logic might well turn out to be correct. But it is a leap, and contrary to what has been established so far.

There are also two main reasons you wouldn't have seen it where the main characters aren't (we'll ignore the fact that we only get to see the on in VioD when they are leaving, as it's clearly there before they go, but I'm not so sure we can leave out the one on TBB, as it was outside the ship and to my knowledge they never went there):

1: Dramatic tension - we already know it's an ongoing arc, and we are already looking out for it, so it's a pay-off when we see it. In writing terms, it is a form of suspense.

2: Why waste time and money on shooting scenes in other times/places where the story we're watching doesn't happen? It makes no narrative sense, and is unneccesary if it has been explained already - which it was.

But as I said, you can have your own ideas and opinions, as long as you know the facts are there and seem to be contradicting you (as far as we are currently aware).

If it turns out you are correct, then I will gladly let you shout 'I told you so' at me to your heart's content, as I know I'm only going by what information we have had given to us up until know...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The crashed Byzantium was tangible - the 'memory-angel' was not. There was solid evidence of the crash, but not for the Angel.

They were very different happenings.

So you are saying that in "Journeys End" even though the Daleks were not involved the following would still have happened
    • Thousands of people killed
    • The Earth moved across the Universe
    As there would have been solid evidence for both.

Hardly wiping the slate clean if humanity still remembers the Earth jumping across the Universe is it?
    Forum Member
    It's possible for the Doc to have said something and later realise he got it wrong isn't it?

He said Prisoner Zero couldn't have escaped through the crack.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly - that's how I always type. I also believe there's no point getting angry about it.

Secondly, you can be the cause of something without it following you about after wards. This is what I think happened - from the facts given so far. It might change, and your leap in logic might well turn out to be correct. But it is a leap, and contrary to what has been established so far.

There are also two main reasons you wouldn't have seen it where the main characters aren't (we'll ignore the fact that we only get to see the on in VioD when they are leaving, as it's clearly there before they go, but I'm not so sure we can leave out the one on TBB, as it was outside the ship and to my knowledge they never went there):

1: Dramatic tension - we already know it's an ongoing arc, and we are already looking out for it, so it's a pay-off when we see it. In writing terms, it is a form of suspense.

2: Why waste time and money on shooting scenes in other times/places where the story we're watching doesn't happen? It makes no narrative sense, and is unneccesary if it has been explained already - which it was.

But as I said, you can have your own ideas and opinions, as long as you know the facts are there and seem to be contradicting you (as far as we are currently aware).

If it turns out you are correct, then I will gladly let you shout 'I told you so' at me to your heart's content, as I know I'm only going by what information we have had given to us up until know...

you seen the rumours section of this page:-

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Big_Bang

It would seem that the views I have and 'former.self' are more strongly supported than maybe imagined...

Of course they are rumours but now that I see other people are saying the same thing then I feel happier for mooting my own take on it... :)
  • sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Daleks are being swallowed by the cracks, people would forget them. But what happens if new ones are made afterwards?

I'm not clear about this. It seems to be more to do with the light energy than things falling into the crack....and the crack seems to be wherever the Doctor and Amy are - past, present or future.
    Forum Member
    you seen the rumours section of this page:-

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Big_Bang

It would seem that the views I have and 'former.self' are more strongly supported than maybe imagined...

Of course they are rumours but now that I see other people are saying the same thing then I feel happier for mooting my own take on it... :)

I don't see where it states that the cracks are following Amy... But I have already said I believe her to be one of, if not 'the' reason for them. Which was heavily implied by it counting down to her wedding day.

I'm merely going by facts, not rumour. I love speculating, but I do it with supporting evidence!
    Forum Member
    So you are saying that in "Journeys End" even though the Daleks were not involved the following would still have happened
    • Thousands of people killed
    • The Earth moved across the Universe
    As there would have been solid evidence for both.

Hardly wiping the slate clean if humanity still remembers the Earth jumping across the Universe is it?

Unfortunately, all I can give you is what the Doctor himself said. And I have tried to use rthe caveat 'so far' for all the facts given. I can't yet answer what you have thrown up, and it might be that I never will be able to, and your hypothesis was correct all along. But as it stands, the factts given are the facts given, and they are what I have to use for myself!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll love to know what all these facts are that you are seeing. Cos all I'm getting is very vague clues that add up to very little.

River Songs statement that the Wedding Date was some kind of code to the universe is the only real thing that stands out. But even that can't happen now has Amy is without a boyfriend...

So even with this in mind very little on the fact front seems to be jumping out...
    Forum Member
    I'll love to know what all these facts are that you are seeing. Cos all I'm getting is very vague clues that add up to very little.

River Songs statement that the Wedding Date was some kind of countdown is the only real thing that stands out. But even that can't happen now has Amy is without a boyfriend...

So even with this in mind very little on the fact front seems to be jumping out...

The facts are anything that has been said in the episodes - which as you've pointed out are very few and far between. But there are some there, if you look/listen out for them, you'll find them.

I might take some time out tonight to put together those that I remember and research some more, then post it tomorrow.