Dandy to close after 75 years

12346»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Once you register (all you need is an email address), you'll see options to buy Dandy credits. You can get a few as 100, which is enough for one issue and costs £1.49, or as many as 5000, which equates to 50 issues and works out a lot cheaper at just £29.99, which is about 60p an issue. They'll probably add back issues of the print comic eventually, which I suspect will cost a different number of credits. Issue zero is free and doesn't require registration. You only enter your credit/debit card details when buying the credits.

Thanks for the info. :) Doesn't sound so bad, but it's a bit of a leap these days getting people to pony up on the internet. :D I hope they make it work as it's actually pretty impressive, and I can imagine it getting better.

So how do you go about sort of having a collection then, storing your issues? Is there DRM involved, or do you not get to keep your Dandys locally?
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    No local storage as far as I know. So if they ever go bust or something, you'd lose out. :(

I'm viewing it on a computer though, not an iPad or Android.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    That's a real shame
    Forum Member
    Well so much for that. The digital Dandy has ceased. They never did fully resolve the technical issues, and after two 13 issues attempts, they've given up.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    Well so much for that. The digital Dandy has ceased. They never did fully resolve the technical issues, and after two 13 issues attempts, they've given up.

I wonder if they'll merge Desperate Dan into The Beano....I hope so
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a stupid mess... it's as if they never wanted it to succeed!
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHANK0055 wrote: »

The Boy With Big Pants actually sounds quite funny :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

You're absolutely kidding?

I've just been on their site and there's no mention of it ending. Could you link me in please?
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »

I've just been on their site and there's no mention of it ending. Could you link me in please?

There's an article from yesterday when they denied that it was ending.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-23183603
  • Beady Eye 2013Beady Eye 2013 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    I was always more of a Beano boy myself but was a big fan of Desperate Dan, could they not just put him in the Beano as the cover star with Dennis The Menace and Gnasher?

I used to love The Dandy and The Beano crossovers.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading the last ever Dandy Summer Special in WH Smith yesterday. A great comic and sad to see it end.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    I was reading the last ever Dandy Summer Special in WH Smith yesterday. A great comic and sad to see it end.
    The fact that someone who's "sad to see it end" looked at a copy in a shop without buying it says it all really.
  • ElphinstoneElphinstone Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    £1.99 blimey the last time I read it I think it was 25p.

sad to hear that it was fine and dandy when I BOUGHT it in old money 40 years ago.....still bought the annuals.:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    sad to hear that it was fine and dandy when I BOUGHT it in old money 40 years ago.....still bought the annuals.:cry:

Of course there is a Dandy Annual this year and next.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    There's an article from yesterday when they denied that it was ending.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-23183603

If they *did* just end The Dandy completely (since the digital version was meant to be its continuation), then they managed to keep it amazingly quiet compared to the fuss that surrounded the discontinuation of the print edition.

This apparently happened almost 2 months ago, and despite living in Scotland (where DC Thomson are based) I wasn't aware of it.
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »

You should've checked their Facebook page. And as for the BBC News article, that statement only denies that the Dandy brand is being discontinued (and we already know there'll be a 2015 annual), not the weekly digital Dandy comic, which did end like I said.

The fact that Bananaman in the Beano, which was reprints from the 1980s Dandy from January 2012 to July 2013, is now new episodes drawn by his last print Dandy artist, is quite telling. The Beano has also started using some of the Dandy's artists who hadn't previously drawn anything for the Beano, and new spin-off Dennis the Menace and Gnasher Megazine has a pullout comic supposedly from Dennis's stash, which is really a compilation of strips from the Dandy of 2010-2012. Issue 1's was Nuke Noodle, issue 2's is Bad Grandad. Right now, this seems to be the only way Desperate Dan will be likely to make a Beano appearance. Of course, with the Dandy's former editor now in charge at the Beano (with the previous editor now as editor-in-chief, basically head of DCT's kids department), it's possible that Dandy characters could migrate. Bananaman of course was in both for a while, and the Beano is currently reprinting a Dandy mini-strip called I Pity the School.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should've checked their Facebook page. And as for the BBC News article, that statement only denies that the Dandy brand is being discontinued (and we already know there'll be a 2015 annual), not the weekly digital Dandy comic, which did end like I said.

Well, if the weekly comic- printed or digital- is over, then to me that *is* the end of the Dandy.

It's good that they're still doing an annual, but I view that as the equivalent of the Top of the Pops Christmas special- a "special-occasion-only" rare appearance of something most people (myself included) would view as having been cancelled in the form that matters, i.e. a regular weekly appearance.

That was how they were culturally important, and how people (kids then, adults now) grew up with and experienced them.

Like TOTP at Christmas being made with a family audience in mind- and these days more culturally important to nostaltic adults than kids- the Dandy annual will probably be bought *for* kids, but *by* adults who the name still means something to. The kids may well still enjoy it, but to them it'll just be that book they got at Christmas, sometimes.

Anyway, this wasn't intended as a nostalgia rant or condemnation of the axing, just a statement of fact that- to all intents and purposes- it looks like The Dandy really *has* been axed in the form that matters.
  • Paul_MearsPaul_Mears Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I remember getting the Beano,Dandy and Wheezer when I was a kid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    wheezer ? .. or whizzer or beezer (or both ! )
    Forum Member
    Yeah, did you mean Beezer, or Whizzer and Chips?
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to hear of its demise. It had a long life, though. :)