Time for Sarah's random thoughts...played a game so bad its good?

2»

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Not really, gamers are sadly somewhat childish in understanding of reviews, they see it as all or nothing. A review is more of a guide to a game, an extended advertising pitch in some cases, and a brief summary for others.

Plus a review is useful for the games that are not sure bets either way. If I think a game looks interesting, I am not willing to put down £30 to find out if it is, so a review and perhaps a few youtube videos will help me understand if its worth a punt. If the review speaks about a buggy mess and a pretty boring game, I may avoid the game, perhaps picking it up in a sale when its not so bad to make a duff purchase.

I disagree with all that except the youtube bit, watching a youtube video is the best way to see if a game is right for you. The problem with reviews is they often spend time comparing the game they're reviewing to other games rather than reviewing the game at hand on its own merits. A review becomes more than a guide to a game or a brief summary when you tack a review score on the end.

As this thread proves a buggy mess can actually be a fun enjoyable experience, one you would miss if you took reviews seriously. Its because of reviews that hardly anyone has played The Saboteur which was an awesome game even with its problems but reviewers couldn't see past those or couldn't convey the right message about the game been good besides those problems.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Hmm, thing is The Saboteur didn't get bad ratings, nor even average it got good/very good scores all around. It was just ignored by the public as there were bigger releases around at the time and I guess the general perception was it just seemed like another open world sandbox game, which it was (albeit a good one). It's well known that Pandemic never got around to finishing it how they wanted to, that's kind of off-putting too.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, thing is The Saboteur didn't get bad ratings, nor even average it got good/very good scores all around. It was just ignored by the public as there were bigger releases around at the time and I guess the general perception was it just seemed like another open world sandbox game, which it was (albeit a good one). It's well known that Pandemic never got around to finishing it how they wanted to, that's kind of off-putting too.
    Really I didn't know ths. Can you give examples?
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently, Splatterhouse on the PS3. Too simple but its horror theme didn't make it seem as bad as the revews.

I thought Lolliop Chainsaw was a 7/10,myself.

A while ago Top Banana on the Amiga and Jammin on the Commodore 64, these 2 had garish graphics and awful music and sound effects.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always liked Spore. It was no-where near as good as it could've been, but I found it fairly enjoyable building a galactic empire.
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    I loved The Bouncer on the PS2. The dialogue and story were embarassing and the combat was strange but something always takes me back to it.

Multiplayer is great fun!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another game I would add is Driver San Francisco, the concept may be silly but the game was actually really good fun.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not since I became an adult and started to use my own money to buy games, no. I have a backlog of good games to play if I ever get through them all I might try and see what is out there but I don't see the point in playing something I know is garbage when I could be enjoying something else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not since I became an adult and started to use my own money to buy games, no. I have a backlog of good games to play if I ever get through them all I might try and see what is out there but I don't see the point in playing something I know is garbage when I could be enjoying something else.

With the games I have talked about in here its not that they are garbage its more that they are perceived as garbage when in fact there is a pretty decent game there once you delve past the criticism.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eat lead .