Options

IDE to USB adapter

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A PM is waiting for you.

I have not tried to squeeze the IDE cable throught the CAM slot yet - I will have a go - but the last time I tried with a normal IDE cable I remember it being very tricky - or even not possible... so beware... This cable might not fit through either because this end is a MALE IDE connector...

If you are going to pull and plug the IDE2USB widget off and on - I would suggest powering off the Hummy to do so. With the widget attached - the USB end can be dynamically plugged and unplugged into a PC (as USB devices are design to do it this way - just use the 'remove hardware safely icon).

Remember the Hummy needs to be in standby (and NOT recording too) when transfering using 9200TReadFiles...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote:
    No problems.

I'm going to order these two items and try to make the IDE cable myself:

HDD EXT LEAD, IDE, 40W SKT - 40W PLG

IDC SOCKET + SR 40-WAY

The idea is to 'crimp' the IDC socket near the female end of the cable so that you can connect that to the HDD, then one end to the motherboard and the extension end to the IDE2USB device.

If it works I can sell it to anyone interested at the cost price... so pretty cheap... OR they can order the parts themselves and make it!

I'm a little confused.

I've read your "new" modification notes and seemed straight forward.

I'm still seeing people looking for the IDE bracket. In your new mod, you only need a cable with three connections, Hard Drive to motherboard and then to IDE/USB device and then cable out of CAM slot. Is this correct?

This stays in place all the time so why would you want to put the IDE bracket inside the Hummy?

Also, am I correct in saying you can only transefer files while the Hummy is in standby?

Not got bits yet, but hopefully "going in" at Weekend!!

Woolfynorm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the original setup the IDE bracket was needed to convert the IDE cable's female connector to a male - so that you can attach the IDE2USB widget (as that is a female connector).

The new setup uses an IDE extension cable which has one male and one female 40-way IDC connector at each end. So you can connect this cable directly to the IDE2USB widget and to the HDD but not to the motherboard! So that's why you need to 'crimp' and extra IDC female connector to the middle (or rather nearer - 2" - to the other female end) of the IDE cable.

This setup is cleaner (and safer!) as there are no metal items lying around inside the Hummy (as this was the case in the original)!

In either setup - you need to have the Hummy on in standby to transfer files. This is because you can only have either the PC/USB widget accessing the HDD or the Hummy - you can not have both! What tends to happen with me is that I connect my PC and start the transfer, and then a schedule timer kicks in and breaks the transfer! No damage done... but sometimes the Hummy doesn't think it has got a HDD in it and you then need a powercycle...

I have 'sold' 4 cables now at £4 each - I have only 4 left...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gadgetmind wrote:

I guess the cable will poke through the CAM hole so I can just connect the USB widget when required?

Ian

I'm afraid this is not possible. I have just tried it and the male end of the cable is far too big. You might be able to force the other end through but it would be extremely tricky (as there are now two female connectors).

You might be able to remove the front panel and somehow get the cable through but seems like more trouble than it is worth. Best to keep the IDE2USB widget permanently in place and get another one for other uses...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I tried with the three-way cable you let me have, and reckoned I could wiggle the female connector through the cam slot, but it was tight and I decided not to do so.

I haven't had any problems with just lettin the cable come out of the casing before fitting the case back on. Do you have a reason why you don't like this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote:
    In the original setup the IDE bracket was needed to convert the IDE cable's female connector to a male - so that you can attach the IDE2USB widget (as that is a female connector).

The new setup uses an IDE extension cable which has one male and one female 40-way IDC connector at each end. So you can connect this cable directly to the IDE2USB widget and to the HDD but not to the motherboard! So that's why you need to 'crimp' and extra IDC female connector to the middle (or rather nearer - 2" - to the other female end) of the IDE cable.

This setup is cleaner (and safer!) as there are no metal items lying around inside the Hummy (as this was the case in the original)!

In either setup - you need to have the Hummy on in standby to transfer files. This is because you can only have either the PC/USB widget accessing the HDD or the Hummy - you can not have both! What tends to happen with me is that I connect my PC and start the transfer, and then a schedule timer kicks in and breaks the transfer! No damage done... but sometimes the Hummy doesn't think it has got a HDD in it and you then need a powercycle...

I have 'sold' 4 cables now at £4 each - I have only 4 left...

Wish I'd known you were selling cables, just ordered some form CPC, and postage is a bit steep, never mind.

Woolfynorm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had only done this is the past few days - and put it up on the wiki...

Is it too late to cancel the order? I have a few cables made up left (i.e 2)...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    son-t,
    when clamping the connector to the cable, do you clamp with all three parts at the same time or are you able to put the retaining clip on after having clamped the first 2.
    thanks,
    malph
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You only need to clamp two of the three pieces - the third is for folding the cable over (which you don't need to do in this instance).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    OK, thanks son_t
    malph
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    son_t i have pmed you about buying cable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I have none left! :(

This is the first batch of cables and they are all taken.

Depending how successful they are - I still need to get feedback from those who have bought one - that they work and they are happy with the purchase...

I will order some more and make a second batch if there is enough demand - i.e. 6-8 people wanting one...

So the count is 1/8 so far...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you haven't opened up your Hummy yet and placed the cable in - I've got some instruction changes.

Originally on the wiki, the instructions says to place the end (grey) connector to the HDD and the middle black connector to the motherboard. This is incorrect, but should would work - but not recommended.

There are new instructions on the wiki now. You should connect the black connector to the HDD first, then twist the other end (IDE2USB widget) around before folding the grey end over to connect to the motherboard.

If you set it up in like the initial instructions, then I have found slighly odd things might occur - one of them being that the Hummy comes out of standby while you are transfering and you will get empty transfers! I think this is because stray signals are telling the Hummy to turn on since the IDE2USB widget is not directly connected to the HDD but to the motherboard!

The new instructions should now would properly as the HDD is the 'piggy in the middle' and the Hummy and the IDE2USB widget have equal turns at accessing the HDD...

Be very carefully when removing the cable if you need to - I found out that the extension cable is very poorly made. When removing the wrong setup - the cable broke away from the connector! leaving me with pins and connector stuck in the HDD connector! I had to force it out with a pair of small scissors and a pair of pliers! The extension cable connectors seem to make a very tight fit with both the HDD and the motherboard! and pulling it off might break the connectors! Also becareful with the widget end of the connector too as the pins can easily get bent!

PM me if you have any problems and need further instructions/info.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Hi Son_t

Got my cable today and tried it. Works perfectly. Looks like the previous USB/IDE cable that I had was dodgy so I'm a happy bunny now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats! with your av transfers...

With regards to more cables... I've had to positive feedback now from the first batch of purchases...

If you want one - just PM me and I will keep count of the numbers and if it approaches somewhere near 6-8 or I am about to order something from CPC - then I will order the cable components and make some more up...

Currently, 2 and counting...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote:
    Congrats! with your av transfers...

With regards to more cables... I've had to positive feedback now from the first batch of purchases...

If you want one - just PM me and I will keep count of the numbers and if it approaches somewhere near 6-8 or I am about to order something from CPC - then I will order the cable components and make some more up...

Currently, 2 and counting...

Opened up the Hummy and completed the cable mod as per your new instructions. Took about 10 minutes, thanks for your guidance.

Just a couple of things.

1. The "old" cable is 80 core, does this matter?

2. Also I was lucky enough to borrow a crimping tool from work, IT department. and I made the two connections for the Hard Drive and Motherboard, then threaded the cut end through the CAM slot and crimped the final connecter in place. Just need to connect the IDE/USB adaptor to transfer files. Front flap closes fine.

Also when the guarentee runs out on the Hummy a couple of self tappers will hold this in place and look as though it's always been there.

Only downside to this is that it would have to be re-crimped if mod was removed. But I have a spare connector if required.

Just need the IDE/USB adaptor now, come on Post Office!!!

Woolfynorm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woolfynorm wrote:
    1. The "old" cable is 80 core, does this matter?
    80-core IDE cables were introduced for the faster standards - i.e. ATA/66, ATA/100, ATA/133, etc. These cables have alternative shielding wires to reduce errors for the faster speeds...

Using the 40-core IDE cable instead of the 80-core, might mean a reduction speed when accessing the HDD, but in practice - I have not noticed any recording, playback, or transfer problems... Also sample transfer speeds are between 60Mbit/s and 133Mbit/s... so it seems to be able to cope with the faster data speeds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote:
    80-core IDE cables were introduced for the faster standards - i.e. ATA/66, ATA/100, ATA/133, etc. These cables have alternative shielding wires to reduce errors for the faster speeds...

Using the 40-core IDE cable instead of the 80-core, might mean a reduction speed when accessing the HDD, but in practice - I have not noticed any recording, playback, or transfer problems... Also sample transfer speeds are between 60Mbit/s and 133Mbit/s... so it seems to be able to cope with the faster data speeds.

Certainly seems O.K. Rec 2 programmes playing back another no problem. Just waiting for IDE/USB adaptor, to try transfer programme.

Woolfynorm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got some more components now - so can make up mod cables if you want one.

£4 per cable and PayPal to sont@ukgateway.net and include all your details (name and address).

Best to PM me and check if I have one for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I tried the mod today and the Humax did not see the disk. There was no recording section on the menu and I could not see previous recordings. When I put the system back to its original state it worked.
    I think I have also damaged the cable connector (new cable) to the HD whilst removing it. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you haven't damaged your HDD or the motherboard. Did it not work with just the cable connected to the HDD (black connector) and Hummy (grey female) and not the widget (grey male)?

I did make a warning about the quality of the cable and the connectors... with the new batch I have include the 'looping' bar part of the IDE connector, hoping that if you find of the connector a bit too tight to pull out, then attaching this bar would allow it to be pulled off better...

When I first begun the cable modification I found exactly the same problem as you - that the Hummy refuses to recognise the HDD with any other cable... but something must have happened because subsequent cables worked, and especially all the new modification cables... I've had feedback that this mod does work for others not just for me, so I don't know what is going on.

My first suggestion is to obtain a short 40-core IDE cable and connect that to the HDD and the Hummy and see if that works or not... A second step will be to try the cable with the HDD and ithe IDE2USB widget on their own to see if the cable works (and still works) - if not I will send you another.

Otherwise I don't know what to suggest, and so you have to wait to implement a modification, once I get an idea of what is happening (or not happening here).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It did not work with just the hummy and motherboard.

I have put a new connector on the cable (with a strain relief) close to where the black connector used to be. I have tested the cable at work with an old PC and it works OK using the Hummy connector and also with the motherboard connector (i.e. cable is OK). I will try it again tonight if I have time (and the Mrs is not watching TV!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, good luck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have installed the cable and the hummy sees the HD. I can record and playback now. When I connect to the PC (with the hummy in standby), the PC recognises the USB device has been connected but I cannot see the drive. Should it appear as a removable drive?. I have also tried it with the motherboard connector removed with the same result. Should the widget appear as a drive? I am using XP on a Toshiba laptop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Does the 9200TReadFiles software recognise the drive? You might hae to go through the numbers to see which one is correct.

The file system on the Humax is such that it won't show up as a drive under My Computer IIRC.