dumb or smart tv

oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Many threads here complain about issues with smart tvs not working with iplayer or youtube etc.

Problem is web and tv technology changes all the time but the software on smart tvs cant keep up, and manufacturers have little interest in keeping up to date by supporting models more than a year old.

I prefer to use a dumb tv, abd provide the brains externally eg tablet and chromecast or now tv box.
Even if external brains become obsolete, it is much cheaper to replace than a tv.

Only problem is buying a dumb tv is getting harder. of course, you can still use external devices via hdmi on smart tvs.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the Samsung services spot on. Particularly iplayer and Netflix. Then USA Apple TV and a HTPC with Kodi top up - I say top up, I mean provide 99% of my viewing.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree about Samsung although i switch between uk and USA and all the players work superbly.
    My firetv and pc are connected to my tv as i don't watch any live tv and they combined with the samsung tvs apps provide all the tv i need.
    I have a ROKU connected too as Showtime works better on that than on pc or firetv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.

We have smart TVs in two rooms of the house, but ultimately I find that external devices such as Chromecast, Now TV, Amazon Fire TV and HTPCs provide much more flexibility than the inbuilt smart features.
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Smart TVs often have extras built in apart from the services offered, e.g. built-in wifi and DLNA. The last two TVs I've bought have been smart ones after I've compared all the features against dumb ones.
  • ClusterbombedClusterbombed Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Give me a dumb TV with lots of connection ports any day.

As I see it, smart TVs are just another cynical way to extract money from customers, by firstly bumping up the price and secondly by convincing you that you need to buy a new telly sooner than you normally would because the "smart" features are no longer supported or work 2 years down the line.

My current TV is dying so I've been looking around at what's on offer out there. I'm not impressed.
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the problem with all this is that we aren't really paying for a Smart TV. The electronics inside a television that determines whether it is dumb or smart is such a small portion of the manufacturing costs, that it really is not worth taking into account. The development costs for the UI are higher, but still something that is minimal in comparison to developing high quality displays.

Just buy a TV for its picture. If it has a smart hub or not, who cares. If it has one, just don't use it if you don't want to - after all, it is no different then to having an extra tuner you never use, or two spare HDMI ports.

But you never know, perhaps it will still come in useful after-all. Lets say you have a Samsung TV as well as your set-top-box of choice (perhaps Apple TV, Chormecast or Amazon Fire TV). You may use those devices more, but if you want some of the free-to-air catch-up services, none of them have it all. Samsung's D,E,F and H series TVs are the only devices in the UK that has all the catch-up services (BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4, Demand 5 and BBC Sport) plus Netflix AND Amazon Prime.

So... as much as you may prefer to have alternative STBs (and I also tend to use say the Amazon Fire TV as my personal choice when an app is available), the backup may come in handy.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit peculiar, I have a smart TV, but I have Apple TV box and iPad, I'll get iPlayer or 4od or whatever it's called now and AirPlay it through my Apple TV. The only problem is 5 on demand which the picture won't show on the TV. That is probably me doing sommat wrong so I can't whinge too much. I only thought about this a week ago, no idea why I do it its just the habit I have. Maybe I should try using my smart TV instead.
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    I'm a bit peculiar, I have a smart TV, but I have Apple TV box and iPad, I'll get iPlayer or 4od or whatever it's called now and AirPlay it through my Apple TV. The only problem is 5 on demand which the picture won't show on the TV. That is probably me doing sommat wrong so I can't whinge too much. I only thought about this a week ago, no idea why I do it its just the habit I have. Maybe I should try using my smart TV instead.

You are not doing anything wrong at all.

Demand 5 don't support AirPlay. They are the only one of the four major networks to turn their back on AirPlay still.

Ok, it is (or was) possible via mirroring, but video quality is so bad mirroring streaming services, that it is really not worth it.

Check your Smart TV. Works great with that.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    You are not doing anything wrong at all.

Demand 5 don't support AirPlay. They are the only one of the four major networks to turn their back on AirPlay still.

Ok, it is (or was) possible via mirroring, but video quality is so bad mirroring streaming services, that it is really not worth it.

Check your Smart TV. Works great with that.

Yes sorry I should have mentioned tried mirroring and gave up immediately. I had a think and I suspect my issue is that with a tablet it's all tap screen where as my smart TV can be awkward scrolling and tracking to the right bit of a player.