Options

Connections to HD

Thinking about buying a HD TV in time for Sky HD and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray later this year.

But in the mean time i'll be looking at connecting my current DVD and Freeview PVR to the HD TV, alongside a Gamcube. My current has 2 Scarts and 1 RGB - just enough for my set up. However, i'm not sure if these will connect to a new HDTV. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    You may connect it via Scart, but if the TV doesnt have a component or HDMI port then you wont be able to watch SkyHD.

Look at my post in this thread (post 5).
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=330175

;)
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a plasma which I bought a couple of years ago - before the HD Ready thing. I need to check what resolution it does to see if that will provide me HD quality. It has component inputs but no HDMI. Assuming the resolution is good enough (I'm quite prepared for it not to be :( - in which case it will be relegated to the bedroom) what will the quality be like using component insetad of HDMI? Will it be the same?
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    to get the best quality picture you would be better with a hdmi hd ready lcd or plasma if you want the better quality picture.

Just from reading on here, you will need a HDMI socket as this carries the High Def picture signal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HDMI or DVI if you want to ensure full compatibility (HDCP compliance)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quality from component can be pretty damn good; I'm not sure I'd shell out for a new TV just for the difference between HDMI and component.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Component quality should be no different to DVI or HDMI. Its just delivered in a different way (via an DA conversion)
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But would that conversion lose any quality? Or would it not be noticable?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maplins have a two HMDI in to one HDMI out on their website at £149.99 but out of stock at the moment (seach for HDMI). HDMI switching is not going to be so cheap as a simple scart swicthing device due to HDCP processing etc etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    kmusgrave wrote:
    But would that conversion lose any quality? Or would it not be noticable?

You would lose some quality but to be honest I bet you wouldn't be able to notice!! It all depends on how the screen copes with the different types of input and the device you are using to send the signal. For instance the Pioneer panels component input is rubbish compared to the HDMI. But if you compared the HDMI on this to the component on the pansonic panels I'd say you would be hard pushed to tell the difference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    ive just got a 32" LG HD READY LCD..
    it has DVI inputs not hdmi.. will i still get the same quality HDTV with DVI
    thanx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVI (HDCP compliant) is identical to HDMI apart from carrying audio
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please help, techies! Just bought a hdd Chili hdd dvd recorder from maplins, and cannot connect it at all via my NTL cable box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please help, techies! Just bought a hdd Chili hdd dvd recorder from maplins, and cannot connect it at all via my NTL cable box.
    maybe you should start a new thread with this is a different forum (not HDTV) as you'll get more responses to your problem
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most recent DVDs look amazing after I switched to using component Panasonic DMR-E85 to a panasonic plasma rebadged as a toshiba. The vibrancy of the colours and the definition. Open Water's colours looked saturated and really good and I would swear The Amityville Horror I rented on DVD was HD, it looked so good compared to normal viewing, could really see detail in people's faces and things.

Having such equipment makes it all the more annoying that most of my films are VCDs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmace wrote:
    maybe you should start a new thread with this is a different forum (not HDTV) as you'll get more responses to your problem

Indeed, but I know not how to, being a DigiSpy Novice of merely two days standing, so was just hoping for a bit of help!