Options

Confused with S/P-DIF and optical

I have a yamada 6700 player with optical and 5.1 surround sound, but as of yet its only playing from my tv, Samsung LCD tv.

I want to connect both the yamada and a Humax 9200 pvt to my Yamaha amp RX-v357.

But I am confused as to what cable it needs.

The amp has optical , rca and compentent unputs. But I would liek to take advantage of the digital sound.

As far as I can tell the Yamada takes a optical cable from it to amp. But the pvr takes S/P-DIF but cant figure what cable that takes, is theres an adaptor I need to take optical cable?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    DNZ711DNZ711 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I know S/Pdif is the same as optical!

Ive used it for years with my PC > Minidisc.
  • Options
    shrekshrek Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks but I thought optical had a round plus with a centre part to it, where as s/pdif had a thing that came out of teh device and had a funny shaped part
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S/P-DIF is a digital audio format that can be carried over coaxial (a gold plated yellow phono socket) or optical (infared signal), both are S/P-DIF.

As for an adapter, which one do you need?:

Optical to Coaxial: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29293

Coaxial to Optical: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29291

-Chris
  • Options
    shrekshrek Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the help guys.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coaxial digital audio = Orange Phono (yellow is for composite video)
  • Options
    DNZ711DNZ711 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks but I thought optical had a round plus with a centre part to it, where as s/pdif had a thing that came out of teh device and had a funny shaped part

One end is the round thing and the other end is teh pointy shaped part. At least that is what Ive been using for my pc's digi out!