unwritten soap rules

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    Same with all the soaps. No one goes to Tescos or Sainsburys etc. Emmerdale has the tiny shop in the village. What with people in part time or otherwise low paid jobs living in expensive houses they do their shopping at an expensive little shop too. What on earth do they all eat?

The above does not apply to Coronation St though, they have the legendary Freshco's!! From memory of the Reg Holdsworth days, it was filmed in a real supermarket and is based on Morrisons.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    craig_25 wrote: »
    The above does not apply to Coronation St though, they have the legendary Freshco's!! From memory of the Reg Holdsworth days, it was filmed in a real supermarket and is based on Morrisons.

Good point. I have to agree :)
  • Options
    ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought it was based on Tesco ...
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    Same with all the soaps. No one goes to Tescos or Sainsburys etc. Emmerdale has the tiny shop in the village. What with people in part time or otherwise low paid jobs living in expensive houses they do their shopping at an expensive little shop too. What on earth do they all eat?

Nobody seems to have heard of online supermarket deliveries either! I know Emmerdale is maybe a bit "remote" for a supermarket but I'm sure all the major ones would deliver there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thumbolina wrote: »
    I thought it was based on Tesco ...

Sorry, yeah the name now does resemble Tesco, and maybe a nod to the supermarket giants, but back in the day when it was first introduced it was actually named Bettabuys and was filmed in an old Morrisons supermarket. The concept of the supermarket resembled that of Morrisons at the time, which then was only a regional chain, they hadn't rolled out nationally and were still very much a local family brand in Yorkshire.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you go to hospital you'll always run into someone you know or a nurse or doctor you're acquainted with who works there despite hospitals having hundreds of staff and dozens of wards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    When you go to hospital you'll always run into someone you know or a nurse or doctor you're acquainted with who works there despite hospitals having hundreds of staff and dozens of wards.

I remember once being in Leeds general infirmary (HUGE hospital) and the nurse who came to give me a bed bath was my best mates mother. I was utterly mortified to have her flanneling down my privates, but she was chatting away like it was normal!
  • Options
    Purple MangoPurple Mango Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody will notice your sudden change in character when you are dealing with a secret turmoil.
    But when a character is asked about their change in behaviour, they just smile and say something like 'oh im fine' or 'oh ive just been a bit tired' while smiling. This is then dealt with the concerned character give character in turmoil a hug/kiss/wink/pat on the back etc before walking away.....then character in turmoil drops the smile to reveal a sad, glaring and worried stare
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New character, or returning characters, must always have a secret.

When you want to dispose of something it must go in the top of the kitchen bin, so the person you are hiding it from can find it when they accident my smash a glass and put the broken bits in said bin.

If a character has something really important to say, they must be interrupted, mainly by someone who says "I know exactly what you're going to say, and I think the same...",
    First character just nods and says " Yes, that was it", when its not.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I remember once being in Leeds general infirmary (HUGE hospital) and the nurse who came to give me a bed bath was my best mates mother. I was utterly mortified to have her flanneling down my privates, but she was chatting away like it was normal!

:o I remember a friend of mine Who during an anti natal appointment found she was about to have a 35 week examination by her ( sister/twin's) ex boyfriend! :op obviously she didn' t go thro' with it!

This has probably been mentioned - but no one ever watches soaps! What do they do between 7-8?!:confused::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o I remember a friend of mine Who during an anti natal appointment found she was about to have a 35 week examination by her ( sister/twin's) ex boyfriend! :op obviously she didn' t go thro' with it!

This has probably been mentioned - but no one ever watches soaps! What do they do between 7-8?!:confused::D

Haha of all the people!!

With regard to soap watching, I think Dot once mentioned she wanted to watch Corrie (on the 50th anniversary if I remember correctly)
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,216
    Forum Member
    Don't forget that said letter is in pristine condition and never covered in pasta sauce or other gooey substances.

Unless it's like a reveal of a father or something and the storyline still has to be dragged out. THey'll have the whole letter but the name will be where there's a stain
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So on tonight's episode of EE, Nancy was preparing to wash the pub's dishes...in the sink. I can buy that the Square's lower income residents (Dot, Billy, Carol, etc.) wouldn't have dishwashers. But a PUB doesn't have one? Neither the Beales nor the Mitchells seem to have one either, despite having thousands of pounds just sitting in their various safes.

Is it because there's no hardware store on the Square?
  • Options
    Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    Whenever there is a gay scene with two men in bed, one of them always has to have a shirt on.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Condoms do not exist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Innocent people must always be accused/arrested of something they didn't do.
  • Options
    ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A character can never be 'normal'.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever there is a gay scene with two men in bed, one of them always has to have a shirt on.

Were you watching Emmerdale by any chance? :D My first thought was why is Aaron wearing a t-shirt but Robert is topless?
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If characters fall out/split up with each other then a cheap plot device to bring them back together is to have one of them suffer a near death experience in an accident.....see the upcoming storyline between Michelle and Steve, Todd and his family, Gary and his family, etc.....
    Actually Corrie are the main offenders here. It is such a cheap "cop out" resolution instead of letting things play out more naturally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Were you watching Emmerdale by any chance? :D My first thought was why is Aaron wearing a t-shirt but Robert is topless?

Yeah! :D:D That was my first thought too! Such a disappointment :blush:;-) They should have both been topless :p

Got me thinking of all the other times soaps have done this. JP and Craig, Marcus and Todd, Brendan and Ste etc....
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member

Apparently (allegedly) it is a rule that before 9.pm that must be adhered to!! Only one man may be topless! (sad, I know!)

Also: Only Meg Richardson can break the 'fourth wall' and sing to camera and talk to the viewers during a Christmas episode of Crossroads!! :)
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Apparently (allegedly) it is a rule that before 9.pm that must be adhered to!! Only one man may be topless! (sad, I know!)

I think it's to do with how heavily sex is implied, so one partner should be covered. It would have to be a universal rule because ofcom are obliged to treat both gay and straight couples the same.

In 2002 Channel 4 got told off for showing a 'raunchy' kiss on Brookside.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If it is a rule then it is a stupid rule :(