Westerns

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
I was watching Breakfast this morning and they had a discussion about the Western and that there are four or so coming out soon.

There was a guy there who was the president of the UK Western film society or something and he said it was good to see them back after so long.
He mentioned that after Heaven's Gate the studios got scared off and left them alone.

Eh? :confused:

Off the top of my head from the past 30 years
Unforgiven, Toomstone, True Grit, Deadwood, Desperado, 3:10 Yuma
The Proposition
Young Guns
Jonah Hex
The good the bad and the weird
Dances with Wolves
City Slickers
Wild Wild West
Maverick
The Quick and the Dead

Sure, some of them are different genres with a Western theme but i'd say the basics were still there .

Comments

• ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Add Open Range and that Jesse James movie with Brad Pitt.

But even so that's not that many films in 30 years. I'm sure there are a lot more than you listed, but even so the number would fall short of how many were made I the 40s, 50s and 60s. There is still very few films of the genre made these days.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    But I don't think it was Heaven's Gate that stopped a dozen or so a year being produced. It was just a different time and when a good script came along then the film was made.

Four or five a decade isn't too bad for an old genre. Probably more than musicals for instance.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "No Country for Old Men": best Western for many years.:cool:
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Open Range and Appaloosa are corking westerns imo. Viggo Mortenstein in Appaloosa looks like he just walked out of a frontier photo.. he's so authentic it's unreal!

I prefer more realistic westerns now, makes me chuckle to see a western from the 50's/60's and the cowboy's are walking around with Tony Curtis style hair and clean shaven.

C5s recent Hatfield and Mcoys was entertaining enough, though it strayed a bit to much into Romeo and Juliet territory with the lovers from warring families imo.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Another recent one I liked was Blackthorn starring Sam Shepard as an ageing Butch Cassidy who surivived the shoot-out in Bolivia and is now an old man who wants to go home "There are only two significant events in a man's life: when you leave home and when you go back. Everything else is just the middle."

The film is about his attempt to go home being scuppered when he encounters a young outlaw.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The good thing about the rise of the Scifi film in the 70s was that we didn't have to put up with Westerns and Roman films all the time.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand Westerns but I loved Django Unchained .. so there you go :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    logansdad wrote: »
    Open Range and Appaloosa are corking westerns imo. Viggo Mortenstein in Appaloosa looks like he just walked out of a frontier photo.. he's so authentic it's unreal!

I prefer more realistic westerns now, makes me chuckle to see a western from the 50's/60's and the cowboy's are walking around with Tony Curtis style hair and clean shaven.

C5s recent Hatfield and Mcoys was entertaining enough, though it strayed a bit to much into Romeo and Juliet territory with the lovers from warring families imo.
    They showed a clip of a new tv series and the first thing I noticed was the pearly white teeth on both of the cowboys :D
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gene Wilder in the drunk tank in Blazing Saddles was quite realistic, he looked hungover and smelly!!

"What would you like to do?"
    "I dunno...play chess?...screw?"
    "Well lets play chess!"