Options

LGBT Actors in Soap?

Comments

• Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I didn't know Shelley King is gay.

Changes my mind. A little.

It makes no difference to me. I think she's too theatrical as Yazmeen. She yells her lines out as if on stage.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bean_of_sb wrote: »
    I often wonder if the people who ask this are gay or straight.

It's not about mattering, but for gay people (like myself) it's nice to know that there are successful gay role models in the acting industry for people to look up to.

If it weren't for soap storylines I probably wouldn't have come out. In a world where homophobia is still rife (social media etc) I for one see no harm in making a list celebrating actors who are proud of their homosexuality.

Except the OP has included people who have not publicly commented on their own sexuality and are therefore speculating as to whether they are or not.

Discussing an actor that is openly out and happy to discuss being gay etc (Steven from Hollyoaks for example) is different to speculating on who may/may not be gay. (Jackie Woodburne in your original post)
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I'm sure jacqui is lesbian as she said so recently
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    gilesb wrote: »
    Except the OP has included people who have not publicly commented on their own sexuality and are therefore speculating as to whether they are or not.

Discussing an actor that is openly out and happy to discuss being gay etc (Steven from Hollyoaks for example) is different to speculating on who may/may not be gay. (Jackie Woodburne in your original post)

I too thought she was out, probably the OP did too.

I also find it odd when people say it's unfair to speculate. Of course when it gets obsessive and malicious I loathe it, but all the 'it's unfair on so and so to speculate' screams 'how dare you label x gay' as if we are suggesting they have the plague. Sexuality is sexuality. When people assume I am straight I don't get offended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too thought she was out, probably the OP did too.

I also find it odd when people say it's unfair to speculate. Of course when it gets obsessive and malicious I loathe it, but all the 'it's unfair on so and so to speculate' screams 'how dare you label x gay' as if we are suggesting they have the plague. Sexuality is sexuality. When people assume I am straight I don't get offended.

...because being labelled as "straight" doesn't lead to discrimination.

Regardless of what people would like to believe there is still discrimination based on sexuality and furthermore for some people who are "battling" with their sexuality it is not helpful to speculate on it.
  • Options
    iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Pan St clement

Dean Sulivan

Is he the bloke who played Jimmy Corkhill in Brookside?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iGeek2014 wrote: »
    Is he the bloke who played Jimmy Corkhill in Brookside?

Yes, that is he.

I think he may have dated another soap actor for a while.

Edit: I was wrong, the boyfriend was/is apparently the weather man who was on This Morning when it was based in Liverpool, the one who had the big floating map.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    One more for Emmerdale was Matthew Bose who played Val Pollard's cute gay son Paul Lambert a few years ago.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that is he.

Edit: I was wrong, the boyfriend was/is apparently the weather man who was on This Morning when it was based in Liverpool, the one who had the big floating map.

Fred the weather man
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One more for Emmerdale was Matthew Bose who played Val Pollard's cute gay son Paul Lambert a few years ago.

His on-screen husband Jonny was played by Richard Grieve and is also gay in real life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that is he.

Oh :o!
  • Options
    newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Fred the weather man

I bet he regrets that now:o
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amanda Barrie who played Alma in Corrie, asked to be written out because of the continual snide remarks about lesbians in the green room
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always wished for more gay men to be seen on screen and for a long time I held a slightly biased view that gay characters in soap should be played by gay actors. I was so invested in Emmerdale when Aaron came out, but was bitterly disappointed with Danny Millers awkwardness and contempt for his love scenes. It was cringeworthy!

On the other side we had gay men, playing gay characters and I utterly detested the portrayal by the actors playing both Sean in Corrie and Christian in Eastenders. Sean was too camp, Christian was too predatory and ‘in your face’ and as a gay teenager he frightened me!

I think this year, for the first time I can look back and really appreciate that Christian and Sean were playing characters which are very typical in the gay community, their portrayal is actually commendable for being so realistic. We also have a revived Danny Miller playing Aaron with slightly more passion, and the actor playing Robert throws himself in with both feet, and I wouldn’t change the actors now, their love scenes are very believable. We also have Declan Bennett playing a straight character, and I cannot think of anyone who could have done it better! I love him with Ronnie, he’s doing a sterling job!

Apologies for the long post, but what I’m trying to say is that I wanted to see more gay men on screen, and I got it, I’m only glad that the actors described above have alleviated my own prejudice ideas that the sexuality of the character should match that of the actor.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,319
    Forum Member

It's not about mattering, but for gay people (like myself) it's nice to know that there are successful gay role models in the acting industry for people to look up to.

If it weren't for soap storylines I probably wouldn't have come out. In a world where homophobia is still rife (social media etc) I for one see no harm in making a list celebrating actors who are proud of their homosexuality.

It's no secret as to what my sexuality is.

I am all for soap storylines showing gay characters in a positive way ie that they are the same as straight characters. But this thread is more aimed at being a gossip thread rather than an in depth discussion on postitive role models in the media.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,319
    Forum Member
    craig_25 wrote: »
    I always wished for more gay men to be seen on screen and for a long time I held a slightly biased view that gay characters in soap should be played by gay actors. I was so invested in Emmerdale when Aaron came out, but was bitterly disappointed with Danny Millers awkwardness and contempt for his love scenes. It was cringeworthy!

On the other side we had gay men, playing gay characters and I utterly detested the portrayal by the actors playing both Sean in Corrie and Christian in Eastenders. Sean was too camp, Christian was too predatory and ‘in your face’ and as a gay teenager he frightened me!

I think this year, for the first time I can look back and really appreciate that Christian and Sean were playing characters which are very typical in the gay community, their portrayal is actually commendable for being so realistic. We also have a revived Danny Miller playing Aaron with slightly more passion, and the actor playing Robert throws himself in with both feet, and I wouldn’t change the actors now, their love scenes are very believable. We also have Declan Bennett playing a straight character, and I cannot think of anyone who could have done it better! I love him with Ronnie, he’s doing a sterling job!

Apologies for the long post, but what I’m trying to say is that I wanted to see more gay men on screen, and I got it, I’m only glad that the actors described above have alleviated my own prejudice ideas that the sexuality of the character should match that of the actor.

Great post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    It's no secret as to what my sexuality is.

I am all for soap storylines showing gay characters in a positive way ie that they are the same as straight characters. But this thread is more aimed at being a gossip thread rather than an in depth discussion on postitive role models in the media.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.
  • Options
    ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isnt the actress who plays Ruby a lesbian in real life as well ?
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best ever gay character in soap was Eldorado's Freddie, played by gay actor Roland Curram. Freddie's story was unfurling when I came out: I met Roland many years later and told him about this and he was quite moved.
  • Options
    Jay_1983Jay_1983 Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few more soap openly LGBT actors/actresses from the past and present...

EastEnders:
    Michael Cashman
    Polly Perkins
    Ricky Grover

Coronation Street:
    Charlie Condou

Emmerdale:
    Alicya Eyo

Hollyoaks:
    Garnon Davies
    Toby Sawyer
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I think it is an issue to out someone, or discuss someone's sexuality when they have not publically commented on it themselves.

But the only way of knowing the people listed are gay is by them already being out.

I'm assuming everyone listed in the OP has made no secret of their sexuality which is how they know about it?
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ThaGazBoi wrote: »
    Isnt the actress who plays Ruby a lesbian in real life as well ?

Yes, she is.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    iGeek2014 wrote: »
    His on-screen husband Jonny was played by Richard Grieve and is also gay in real life.

Richard Grieve. A fine speciman of a man :D
    I loved him in Home and Away
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member

That's fair enough and I completely understand and agree for those actors that have declared their sexuality and are either quite prominent in promoting gay rights or manage their career in sich a way that their sexuality is acknowledged but doesn't define or typecast the type of roles they get - Jeremy SheFfield as one example.

It is a murkier issue for those actors that have never said one way or the other (like French or Woodborne) as basically it is just carrying on rumours and speculation when for whatever reason they clearly want the private lives kept private.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can fully understand not everyone wishes to air their private lives in public and must be somewhat tedious being constantly questioned about their sexuality.

For me I find it positive when an actor or actress comes out (even though it's 2014 and it really shouldn't matter) because if they are recognised for portraying a character accurately and thus allow their talent to "shine" then who they chose to date then becomes more and more irrelevant (or it should, in my eyes.)

Someone I'd consider a 'role model' would be Declan Bennett. He's someone I'd look up to if I happened to be 15 again and finding out who I was; 15 years ago when I came out (somewhat prematurely, and unwisely) there was no one in the world of Entertainment (for example) I could identify myself i.e yes I liked men but I didn't make it blindingly obvious.