Options

BBC/Sky Golf Coverage 2014

Comments

• Options
    BoozyuziBoozyuzi Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed that we have Dougie Donnelly & Ken Brown commentating on the Nedbank challenge which is now a full European Tour event. I take it that's the world feed from the tour ?

Sky used to have Euan Murray down to SA along with the local guy but not this year..
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boozyuzi wrote: »
    Noticed that we have Dougie Donnelly & Ken Brown commentating on the Nedbank challenge which is now a full European Tour event. I take it that's the world feed from the tour ?

Sky used to have Euan Murray down to SA along with the local guy but not this year..

Ewen is commentating too.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With no live golf for the last few weeks I've been watching a few of the Shell's Wonderful World of Golf episodes.

Just wondering if anyone else watches them (and enjoys them as much as me) - in many ways they really are wonderful programmes - not just for the golf and the players but for all the history and background - when Jack Whitaker does his closing remarks and that lovely theme tune starts playing it's hard not to smile and feel good if you love golf and in particular the history of golf.

I think the only shame is that Sky repeatedly play the episodes from the second phase of the show (approx 1994 to 2002?). Back in the 1990s I know they used to show many of the original episodes from the 1960s - when it is presented by Jimmy Demaret with Gene Sarazen.

I think the 1960s programmes would be even more worthwhile to be shown again now - so we could see people we've heard about for so long but most of us have never seen. Indeed we often see clips of the 1960s shows during the 1990s programmes - eg last night there was a clip of Nicklaus/Snead in 1962 during the Nicklaus/Trevino 1995 programme.

I also remember that Peter Alliss features in at least one episode from the early 1960s - it would be great to see that again.

So is anyone else watching?
  • Options
    redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Beem has joined the Sky sports golf team and will be covering events from both sides of the pond

Along with Claude Harmon can see him being a major player as Sky go onsite for more events on the PGA tour

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/9637167/former-pga-champion-rich-beem-joins-the-sky-sports-golf-team
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lead article on front page of today's Telegraph Sports section:

Open rights are out to tender for 2017 onwards and process is at an advanced stage.

Speculation is that Sky will win some rights. Article talks about falling participation rates and role of R&A to promote golf - so would seem inconsistent to accept more money from Sky when money is only being used to promote the game - and going to Sky would directly reduce exposure.

Even so, article suggests R&A may still be tempted to at least go partially to Sky - if they do most likely scenario would be the same as the US Masters - ie all 4 days live on Sky, final 2 days also live on BBC.

Reference also made to Fox deal in the US for the US Open - $1.2bn = £800m over 12 years = £67m per year.

Main article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/theopen/11334207/BBC-could-lose-sole-rights-to-the-Open-with-Sky-Sports-battling-for-live-coverage-rights.html

Commentary:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/theopen/11334228/The-Open-moving-to-Sky-Sports-is-inevitable-BBC-coverage-has-lost-so-much-ground-it-is-embarrassing.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Sky did ever win some live rights for the first two days you could see them running from first tee off in the morning till last ball putted on the night

First PGA tour event of the year starts tonight on SS4, must be working from the Sky studio in England as Rich Beem tweeting he has flew into the London to work on it
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Sky did ever win some live rights for the first two days you could see them running from first tee off in the morning till last ball putted on the night

First PGA tour event of the year starts tonight on SS4, must be working from the Sky studio in England as Rich Beem tweeting he has flew into the London to work on it

Yep, then he is flying to Abu Dhabi next week for the European Tour coverage

Unless they go to Phoenix now Tiger is playing I would be surprised to see them on-site for any event in the first six weeks of the season
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    Yep, then he is flying to Abu Dhabi next week for the European Tour coverage

Unless they go to Phoenix now Tiger is playing I would be surprised to see them on-site for any event in the first six weeks of the season

Didn't they say that under the new US PGA Tour deal they would be on site for approx 30 weeks per year?

However it is unclear precisely when the new deal starts - they reported 7 years from 2015 to 2022 - however Jan 2015 to Dec 2022 would be 8 years.

No way of being sure but it could be the new deal ties in with the new end of season (ie Tour Championship) - in which case the new deal might be 7 years from Oct 2015 to Sept 2022.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Didn't they say that under the new US PGA Tour deal they would be on site for approx 30 weeks per year?

However it is unclear precisely when the new deal starts - they reported 7 years from 2015 to 2022 - however Jan 2015 to Dec 2022 would be 8 years.

No way of being sure but it could be the new deal ties in with the new end of season (ie Tour Championship) - in which case the new deal might be 7 years from Oct 2015 to Sept 2022.

My bad, I'm a week behind where we actually are.

It's is slightly clouded though, technically the PGA Tour season started back in October, if they covered the WGC in China back in November or Tiger's event in December on site they could well count as ones, not sure if anyone remembers if they did or not.

There are approximately 38 more events left between now and the end of the season (if you discount the tournament the week of The Open and include the Presidents Cup)

The first two are in Hawaii and only have a short gap in between, plus Beem is meant to be in Abu Dhabi next week. If they don't do Phoenix at the end of the month, I would certainly expect them to be on site by the time of Pebble Beach in early Feb
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beem in the studio - says he will do the following for Sky in 2015:

- 15 weeks on site in the US
    - 4 weeks on site in Europe
    - 4 weeks in the studio
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah - Sarah Stirk confirming in the studio that they would have 'increased on-site presence' for big PGA tour events.

Does this mean commentary team wise too or Presentation with the host commentary or offtube sky commentary?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah - Sarah Stirk confirming in the studio that they would have 'increased on-site presence' for big PGA tour events.

Does this mean commentary team wise too or Presentation with the host commentary or offtube sky commentary?

I can personally see it all being on site tbh. Can see Rich Beem and Claude Harmon making up a team with British people on rotate to form sky's 'B' team then the usual crew step in for majors, WGC'S and maybe players championship to
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beem in the studio - says he will do the following for Sky in 2015:

- 15 weeks on site in the US
    - 4 weeks on site in Europe
    - 4 weeks in the studio

Per Beem's interview on the website it looks like those 4 European events will be in Abu Dhabi, Ireland, Scotland and Switzerland

He also mention's being on site for the Northern Trust Open which is in mid February

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/9637167/former-pga-champion-rich-beem-joins-the-sky-sports-golf-team
    I can personally see it all being on site tbh. Can see Rich Beem and Claude Harmon making up a team with British people on rotate to form sky's 'B' team then the usual crew step in for majors, WGC'S and maybe players championship to

I managed to find the rights release which says they will be on site for 31 PGA Tour events.

It talks a lot about increased analysis of European players etc. Seems that there will definitely be the on site presentation aspect, will have to wait and see how much on-site commentary is involved

http://www1.skysports.com/news/12232/9159762/golf-sky-sports-agrees-new-seven-year-deal-to-show-live-pga-tour-events-until-2022
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if this means Sky might hire out a camera or two from the HB and show additional shots like in the majors...
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    Lead article on front page of today's Telegraph Sports section:

Open rights are out to tender for 2017 onwards and process is at an advanced stage.

Speculation is that Sky will win some rights. Article talks about falling participation rates and role of R&A to promote golf - so would seem inconsistent to accept more money from Sky when money is only being used to promote the game - and going to Sky would directly reduce exposure.

Even so, article suggests R&A may still be tempted to at least go partially to Sky - if they do most likely scenario would be the same as the US Masters - ie all 4 days live on Sky, final 2 days also live on BBC.

Reference also made to Fox deal in the US for the US Open - $1.2bn = £800m over 12 years = £67m per year.

Main article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/theopen/11334207/BBC-could-lose-sole-rights-to-the-Open-with-Sky-Sports-battling-for-live-coverage-rights.html

Commentary:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/theopen/11334228/The-Open-moving-to-Sky-Sports-is-inevitable-BBC-coverage-has-lost-so-much-ground-it-is-embarrassing.html

Participation is falling even with coverage of The Open on the BBC. Money - the cost of actually playing the game in terms of membership fees and equipment costs - plus the way in which many clubs are or have been run is probably a more relevant factor there. Would going to Sky really have that much more of an effect I wonder as against the additional income and how that might be invested in developing the game. The BBC only has 6 days of men's professional golf anyway these days, so they are hardly committed to the sport. The viewing figures are not great - 1m on the Friday on BBC Two, less than 3m on Sat/Sun on BBC One even with McIlroy winning it. 1.31m and 1.81m for the final two rounds of the Masters.

I love the BBC coverage of The Open and take two days off each year so I can watch the opening two days in their entirety - but I would do the same with Sky. I suspect that the R&A might follow the Masters with a similar deal, or else will go all in with Sky with only highlights on the BBC. Money again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Participation is falling even with coverage of The Open on the BBC. Money - the cost of actually playing the game in terms of membership fees and equipment costs - plus the way in which many clubs are or have been run is probably a more relevant factor there. Would going to Sky really have that much more of an effect I wonder as against the additional income and how that might be invested in developing the game. The BBC only has 6 days of men's professional golf anyway these days, so they are hardly committed to the sport. The viewing figures are not great - 1m on the Friday on BBC Two, less than 3m on Sat/Sun on BBC One even with McIlroy winning it. 1.31m and 1.81m for the final two rounds of the Masters.

I love the BBC coverage of The Open and take two days off each year so I can watch the opening two days in their entirety - but I would do the same with Sky. I suspect that the R&A might follow the Masters with a similar deal, or else will go all in with Sky with only highlights on the BBC. Money again.

Yes, fair points.

Arguably six days is only making a minimal impression on people anyway - so losing it wouldn't make a massive difference.

However some visibility FTA is still better than none - ultimately it's something that can't really be measured - it comes down to a judgement call for the R&A.

One point on viewing figures - BARB officials are of course programme averages over many, many hours. I can't remember exactly and can't be bothered to spend ages searching - but from memory I think The Open final day would have peaked at something in the region of 4m to 5m. So that is still a very substantial number - even if for many of them it was the only hour or two of golf which they watched all year.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect it's only a matter of time that SKY get some if not all of The Open.
    To suggest they will show every minute from start to finish is nonsense. That just won't happen.
    Not sure it's that great for golf, they would lose a huge audience if it all goes from BBC but ultimately it's all about money on both sides.
    The Ryder Cup thrives even with a small TV audience so The Open will be no different.
  • Options
    channelsurferchannelsurfer Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    How about BBC/BT sharing it as an alternative to full coverage on Sky. I doubt BT would be interested in a bidding war for exclusive coverage against Sky but might be tempted by sharing it with BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How about BBC/BT sharing it as an alternative to full coverage on Sky. I doubt BT would be interested in a bidding war for exclusive coverage against Sky but might be tempted by sharing it with BBC.

Anything is possible but BT has no other golf coverage and realistically in these sort of deals it is inevitably the non BBC partner who picks up the lion's share of the cost - otherwise the event would just stay with the BBC. Given what Sky would probably be prepared to bid I imagine the most likely scenarios are either Sky exclusivity or a Sky/BBC combo based on Sky having live coverage of all four days and the BBC just Sat and Sun (or even just Sunday) but two hours of highlights on other days. A BT/BBC deal would be much more of a risk for the R&A than a Sky/BBC deal or a Sky only deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Anything is possible but BT has no other golf coverage and realistically in these sort of deals it is inevitably the non BBC partner who picks up the lion's share of the cost - otherwise the event would just stay with the BBC. Given what Sky would probably be prepared to bid I imagine the most likely scenarios are either Sky exclusivity or a Sky/BBC combo based on Sky having live coverage of all four days and the BBC just Sat and Sun (or even just Sunday) but two hours of highlights on other days. A BT/BBC deal would be much more of a risk for the R&A than a Sky/BBC deal or a Sky only deal.

I suppose there is an argument that if they did it's the start of a foot in the door which I am sure golf would love, competition brings more money, but I can't see it either.
    More likely BT will target tennis instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    I suspect it's only a matter of time that SKY get some if not all of The Open.
    To suggest they will show every minute from start to finish is nonsense. That just won't happen.
    Not sure it's that great for golf, they would lose a huge audience if it all goes from BBC but ultimately it's all about money on both sides.
    The Ryder Cup thrives even with a small TV audience so The Open will be no different.

They show the Ryder cup from start to finish so I hardly think its beyond the realms of possibly they could do it for the first two days of The open

Sky do like to do everything 'bigger and better'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They show the Ryder cup from start to finish so I hardly think its beyond the realms of possibly they could do it for the first two days of The open

Sky do like to do everything 'bigger and better'

The Ryder Cup is very different. 12 top players on each team and every point counts.
    Very early and late starters in the Open are normally also rans offering little.

They may like to do it bigger and better but they still have a budget to maintain.

Only opinions at the moment though of course. No facts for a few years yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further Telegraph article - says R&A delegation led by Peter Dawson met Barney Francis at Sky offices last Wednesday.

Must say I would be very surprised if Sky got all 4 days exclusively live but it's certainly not impossible.

I guess a key issue is how much would Sky offer just for Days 1 & 2 exclusive (+ obviously Days 3 & 4 non-exclusive). I'm sure they would be pleased to get that but weekday daytime is never going to get large audiences (even by Sky standards). Whereas at least with the Masters it is in primetime.

If R&A only offers D1&2 exclusive as per the Masters then if I was Francis I think I'd push to get D3&4 early play exclusive - maybe say BBC can only begin coverage 20 to 30 mins before final group tee-off. OK, that may seem a fairly minor variation but it would give Sky just a little bit more than the Masters deal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/theopen/11353248/Battle-for-the-Open-broadcast-rights-hots-up-after-RandA-meets-with-Sky-Sports.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tweet from TV Sports Markets one minute ago:

"Sharing deal for @TheOpen looks unlikely with @SkySports keen to get exclusive rights from @BBCSport"

NB. Can't open article without subscription!

https://twitter.com/TVSportsMarkets
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tweet from TV Sports Markets one minute ago:

"Sharing deal for @TheOpen looks unlikely with @SkySports keen to get exclusive rights from @BBCSport"

NB. Can't open article without subscription!

https://twitter.com/TVSportsMarkets

Sky were always going to push for exclusive live rights for the whole tournament as that is where the value is for them. At least with The Masters their exclusive Day 1 and 2 live coverage is in peak time and so is the shared live coverage. For The Open it is all daytime so exclusivity is key. A shared deal would be possible but for far less money. I suspect it is all or nothing, live coverage wise.