freeview stick wont install

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221708

have the above product.......

been trying to install it today. tried 3 different machines.... xp, vista and win7...... with no luck.

despite installing the supplied software from cd, and following instructions to a tee..... it just won't install.

windows detects the usb device.. but won't install the drivers... I can't install them manually..... and when I try to install the drivers from the cd it "cannot detect the device"

also tried downloading the software again off their website...... ALL to no avail on ANY of my computers....

does anyone have any suggestions? or do I take it back as faulty?

thanks everyone, and enjoy the last 30 mins of ur xmas!

Comments

• lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not much help I know but...... 1 review from the site said they couldnt get the software to work, but used media player and it worked through that.
    Worth a try I suppose. (Assuming you havent already tried that, apologies if you have!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for your advice.
    but don't think that would work either as the device isnt even recognised in the hardware manager :s
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    I have seen suggestions that you have to force the driver to link to the device, by going into the device manager, selecting the unknown device and then right click to update from wherever you extracted the driver files.

As far as basic USB DVB-T sticks go, I find Hauppauge to be reliable, if expensive. Same goes for their PCTV brand. These low end ones (and I have tried a fair few) always have some sort of problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MalUK wrote: »
    I have seen suggestions that you have to force the driver to link to the device, by going into the device manager, selecting the unknown device and then right click to update from wherever you extracted the driver files.

As far as basic USB DVB-T sticks go, I find Hauppauge to be reliable, if expensive. Same goes for their PCTV brand. These low end ones (and I have tried a fair few) always have some sort of problem.

Again, thanks so much for your suggestion, but Im afraid vie tried and tried and tried to do it this method, without any luck. On all 3 computers.

It just point blankly refuses to recognise the driver, and the software will not install the driver as it's not detecting the device. (which it won't because it's showing up as an unknown device in h/ware manager)

It seems like a bit of a catch 22 to me.

I'll see if marlin will exchange it for me, and if so I'll pay dearer and get a better one!

Thanks again
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried the support site?

http://www.kworlduk.com/support/
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Again, thanks so much for your suggestion, but Im afraid vie tried and tried and tried to do it this method, without any luck. On all 3 computers.

It just point blankly refuses to recognise the driver, and the software will not install the driver as it's not detecting the device. (which it won't because it's showing up as an unknown device in h/ware manager)

It seems like a bit of a catch 22 to me.

I'll see if marlin will exchange it for me, and if so I'll pay dearer and get a better one!

Thanks again

So you have right click on the unknown device. Clicked on driver. Now go install driver. Browse my computer for driver software and point to what driver software you have.

windows is seeing it ( most products will show up as unknown at first becuase you have no drivers installed) your just doing something no offense but a product that has many 5 star reviews over internet and if windows sees so its not faulty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now according to this faq i found it is for the 399U not the 499U what you have it doesn't support usb 1.1 only usb 2.0 can it be plugged into and installed. There's nothing much on 499U faq but don,t think it will be backward compatable with usb1.1 either.

http://www.kworldcomputer.co.uk/faq/DVBT-399U.php#USB1

http://www.kworlduk.com/FAQ/UB499-2T-USB-Dual-Digital-TVCard.kworld

If your pc was built before about mid 2002 then it may well have usb 1.1 controllers which would explain why you having problems.

Check your usb in device manager Universaal serial bus controllers right click and select properties should tell you whether you have 2.0 or not. If not go into bios integrated periperhals offhand and it will definetly tell in there look for usb controllers it will either have 1.1 in which case you are knackered or 2.0.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried the support site?

http://www.kworlduk.com/support/

yeah theres very little useful information on there at all really :(
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    So you have right click on the unknown device. Clicked on driver. Now go install driver. Browse my computer for driver software and point to what driver software you have.

windows is seeing it ( most products will show up as unknown at first becuase you have no drivers installed) your just doing something no offense but a product that has many 5 star reviews over internet and if windows sees so its not faulty.

thanks for your advice.
    yep - ive installed loads of devices over my time, so Ive got a fair idea what I'm doing.
    right clicked on it, update driver... browse.. pointed it to the file called "driver" on the cd-rom (and all subfolders of it)

It just says nowhere contains the relavent driver for my hardware. even trying downloading new drivers online.

ive just never had so many problems installing something like this - bear in mind ive installed almost everything in my time, from hard drives, optical drives, ram, PCI devices such as graphics cards, modems.... so should really be able to install a usb dvb stick... but its just not having it :rolleyes:
    Now according to this faq i found it is for the 399U not the 499U what you have it doesn't support usb 1.1 only usb 2.0 can it be plugged into and installed. There's nothing much on 499U faq but don,t think it will be backward compatable with usb1.1 either.

http://www.kworldcomputer.co.uk/faq/DVBT-399U.php#USB1

http://www.kworlduk.com/FAQ/UB499-2T-USB-Dual-Digital-TVCard.kworld

If your pc was built before about mid 2002 then it may well have usb 1.1 controllers which would explain why you having problems.

Check your usb in device manager Universaal serial bus controllers right click and select properties should tell you whether you have 2.0 or not. If not go into bios integrated periperhals offhand and it will definetly tell in there look for usb controllers it will either have 1.1 in which case you are knackered or 2.0.

ive tried it on 3x computers...... and NONE of them can locate the driver for it.
    2 of them DEFINATELY have usb 2.0... and the other one, I'm 99% sure it does, but I can check the bios to be certain...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check usb 2.0 controllers are enabled in bios as well they should be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    update on this.

I went back to Maplin today... took my laptop with me so I could test another one of the same model..... as soon as I put it in it came up with driver installation complete!
    (after HOURS of trying to do it withe my original one)

however I now have the problem of the included software not working.... (as others have complained about on the reviews)

So I'm looking for some alternative software to use ( I don't have media centre)...... can anyone recommend something to me? (preferably free)

thanks.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can use Media Player Classic Home Cinema to access your TV Card :) You use File >> Open Device...

This will let you view Live TV on your PC. If you have Media Center installed then just use that rather than the supplied software.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

been trying to install it today. tried 3 different machines.... xp, vista and win7...... with no luck.

Which PC will you be using it on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    You can use Media Player Classic Home Cinema to access your TV Card :) You use File >> Open Device...

This will let you view Live TV on your PC. If you have Media Center installed then just use that rather than the supplied software.

ill give that a go, thanks.
    1saintly wrote: »
    Which PC will you be using it on?

it will be on the XP machine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ill give that a go, thanks.

it will be on the XP machine.

hi Im still looking.
    the included software with the dvb-t stick is far too buggy and just comes up with error messages the whole time.

windows media player classic (Which I use anyway) does not detect the device.

have tried a few other pieces of pvr software but none seem to have worked so far.. so Im still open to suggestions if anyone else has any?
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have a good download allowance scrap the USB tuner and view your freeview via

tvcatchup.com
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    They might not be around much longer as they're being taken to court