Manager merry-go-round

Comments

• batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hisdogspot wrote: »
    I have supported my club ( Chelsea ) when we were in the old div 2

When your old club legend, Dennis Law, scored the goal that put you down ...playing for City, no less ... were you there ?

The goal Law scored did not relegate us, we could have lost that match (which we did) and still have stayed up that season, so why this myth got started that he relegated us, I just don't know. What relegated us was the score between Norwich and Birmingham I think it was.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,330
    Forum Member
    hisdogspot wrote: »
    I have supported my club ( Chelsea ) when we were in the old div 2

When your old club legend, Dennis Law, scored the goal that put you down ...playing for City, no less ... were you there ?

If you were, then you'll know there are those of us who support our club through thick and thin

As football fans we should respect that fact ... which is why I have never refered to Utd's 'prawn sandwich brigade'

Apart from age being a problem, I would have been 3 when we were relegated, I'd have happily gone to the games. However, using United as an example in terms of fans sticking with a club when down, and relegated isn't the wisest choice as we broke all records that season, as we averaged 48,388 all season at home, and had the highest average attendance in the land. That also included a 60,500 attendance against Sunderland. People make comments over United fair weather fans, but we showed that season that we'll stick with our club.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    The goal Law scored did not relegate us, we could have lost that match (which we did) and still have stayed up that season, so why this myth got started that he relegated us, I just don't know. What relegated us was the score between Norwich and Birmingham I think it was.

It certainly was Birmingham City that meant United where relegated. Its just a myth perpetuated by City fans who had nothing much to crow about so Dennis Law scoring that goal was the next best thing to boast about.

My team Birmingham City is one of footballs sleeping giants, its a big club, but its where it is because thats where our players are capable of playing , we may have a nice trainiong ground , facilites , good fan base, but that doesnt give us a divine right to be in the top tier of football, it has to be earnt & last season we nearly earned that right.

Big club syndrome has seen many 'big clubs' end up in the thrid tier, did the blues a world of good, got the club back to its guts , erased the stupidity & the club has been a lot better for it. Terry Coopers programme notes on his first game in charge spelled out why we where in the old third division , because we only had players that where capable of playing at that level. Hard to stomach at times watching them took apart by the lower league minnows , but hey ho its football , but the thing about big city football clubs that are in the doldrums they are always attractive for managers who want to become a legend, be the one that proves it can be done to get the old giant back on its feet & out of its comatose state.

Good luck to Swansea , Norwich etc , but the harsh facts are that 'big city' football clubs just have that pull , the allure of making a name for yourself with a bigger budget, ste up & expectations be it the EPL or the depths of league 1 & 2.

:)
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    With all the managerial merry go rounds this summer, i think it is staggering that there has apparently being 1,149 managerial changes in the football league since Sir Alex Ferguson took charge of Manchester United 25 years ago. It works out that on average there is 45 managerial changes in the football league per season, no wonder people say managers in general don't get enough time to work their magic at clubs.
    Forum Member
    Its madness, its time we had the 'managers window' ie no firings during the season. This trigger happy approach of firing the manager after 3 games into the season or 14 games from the end as relegation beckons is pointless.Clubs should be made to stick with their appointments regardless.

Its amazing how close Ferguson was to being fired. The amount of flak he got when he embalked upon his spending spree on Pallister, Wallace etcin 1989 , i remember the gags 'Alex Fergusons Pie Shop' Pudding £2.3m in reference to how much they paid for Pallister.

• U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just said on radio 5 that Birmingham have given permission to Norwich to speak to Chris Hughton about the vacant manager's position
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    It just said on radio 5 that Birmingham have given permission to Norwich to speak to Chris Hughton about the vacant manager's position

Teams seem to be linked with all sorts these days but always end up going for the obvious choices.
    Forum Member
    Obvious that Hughton would be in the frame to leave for a job in the EPL. Steve Bruce to return? Hes never been away in recent weeks & still has a fondness for the place. if Norwich want to pay the money then so be it.

Forum Member
    Obvious that Hughton would be in the frame to leave for a job in the EPL. Steve Bruce to return? Hes never been away in recent weeks & still has a fondness for the place. if Norwich want to pay the money then so be it.

Bruce rumoured to be going to Hull. How the mighty have fallen.
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,715
    Forum Member
    Bruce rumoured to be going to Hull. How the mighty have fallen.

Been appointed . Fifth manager in under a year and a half

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/12/06/08/SOCCER_Hull.html&BID=165
    Forum Member
    jake1981 wrote: »

Good appointment for Hull. Bruce's record isn't half as bad as people make out.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harry Redknapp gone, that brings the total of new managers at clubs to 7. If the rumor of David Moyes going to Spurs is correct makes it 8. Must be a record
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Moyes goes to Spurs, who takes the Everton job??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

hmm tricky one. With Everton probably someone unexpected. But the way this has gone so far probably Martinez with Wigan then needing a new manager :p

Apparently Everton have denied any talks or approach for Moyes. But just a day ago Harry said he wouldn't be leaving Spurs :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will certainly prove interesting to see what the situation is when the music stops and all the teams have a manager!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will certainly prove interesting to see what the situation is when the music stops and all the teams have a manager!

It really will, along with those 7 managers at new clubs we have two promoted teams with managers who have not managed in the top flight before. Will be interesting how all these changes actually work out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the record is for new managers starting a season is, in one division?
  • TheSwordTheSword Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The manager 'Merry Go-Round'
    Harry sacked, it's absolutely nuts, when will these big teams start learning that continuity is priceless.

It's taken more money than I could comprehend to get Man City to the top of the League, and they got there by a whisker in the end, if it wasn't for that last goal, Mancini could well be on the hit list too no doubt, then look at Chelsea, another of the very top spenders, then Man U, look at their glorious past and the trophies that came with the continuity of Alex Ferguson. Aresnal with another prestigious history with Wenger especially considering how much they spend compared. Chelsea sacked Murinhio becasue he didn't win a second consecutive league title the following year. Then Spurs, not the highest spending club by no means, and yet in the top 4, now they've sacked Harry Redknapp, what on earth do they expect?

You've got just about 6 of the toughest so teams to beat in the World, and yet if 1 of these teams fail to achieve anything but the top spot, the managers get sacked, I mean by simple logic, more than 1 every six years is well above what might be expected.

Well I suppose if you've got more money than sense as a club owner, you wouldn't know any better than throw more money at the problem, but can they not see that continuity as with Man U and Fergie is a highly recommended route to take?
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Fergie and Man Utd is only a highly recommended route to take because it worked.

The idea that all you have to do is stick with your manager for 20 odd years and that will automatically work out is wrong.

Yes, in today's climate it is more than possible that Fergie would have been sacked before getting to achieve everything he has done, but that doesn't mean it's the same for every manager out there.

Many clubs have ended up far better off by changing managers as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good point, yes you need to change them if they're no good, but there are so many that get sacked just because they didn't achieve the desired results, be it if this was realistic or not.
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    TheSword wrote: »
    Good point, yes you need to change them if they're no good, but there are so many that get sacked just because they didn't achieve the desired results, be it if this was realistic or not.

It's just finding the balance - Redknapp has apparently said that he would have been sacked even if they got into the CL. That's terrible if true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Alan Sugar was there he'd just say - 'WITH REGRET YOU'RE FRIED'

I think if it was him that was there to sack Harry, I don't think he'd be safe walking down the road in London would he?
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Busier for changes than last season.

I think Liverpool is a risk going with inexperience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Busier for changes than last season.

I think Liverpool is a risk going with inexperience.

I agree but think the biggest risk is Steve Clarke at West Brom. They have been a total yo-yo team and could see them getting pulled into the relegation battle again this year
    Forum Member

I'd have thought Martinez would be ideal. Never had any money to spend and won't have any at Everton. Just depends if he's willing to leave to go to another club with no funds.