Brighton considers 'drug-use rooms'

BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,282
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22188476

Can understand they want to cut drug related deaths but is this not just saying to the addicts it is okay to take the illegal drugs.

Although these drug use rooms are available in Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Spain, Norway, Switzerland, Canada and Australia. So maybe they are helpful, just seems a strange move on the surface

Comments

• haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addicts dont care if anyone thinks its OK or not because they will do it anyway.
    Sounds like a good idea to me.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I'd be interested to see anything about how they've worked in other countries.

My knee-jerk reaction is to think they probably wouldn't see a lot of use.
    Seems like most "normal" people who use drugs would probably prefer to do so in the comfort of their own home rather than in some random building and surely such a place would become a target for all sorts of people from drug-dealers, muggers and thieves to hard-line anti-drug types?
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see anything about how they've worked in other countries.

My knee-jerk reaction is to think they probably wouldn't see a lot of use.
    Seems like most "normal" people who use drugs would probably prefer to do so in the comfort of their own home rather than in some random building and surely such a place would become a target for all sorts of people from drug-dealers, muggers and thieves to hard-line anti-drug types?

generally, they just want to get a hit as soon as they can, they aren`t bothered about getting home first or their surroundings. i think it`s a really good idea, it would surely cut down the numbers of abandoned sharps and nodders on benches, it would be even better if they had some kind of detox/rehab presence.

edit:

i see they`re also calling for increased naltrexone scripted:cool:, there should be less meth scripted too, it`s maintenance, nothing else, they aren`t called drug dependency units for nothing.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    generally, they just want to get a hit as soon as they can, they aren`t bothered about getting home first or their surroundings. i think it`s a really good idea, it would surely cut down the numbers of abandoned sharps and nodders on benches, it would be even better if they had some kind of detox/rehab presence.

Hmm, I guess it'd depend on the sort of drug users around.

I can't say I know a lot of drug users but I do know that my town has a fairly big drug problem and that, even so, we rarely see or hear about people doing drugs in public.

I guess that if you were the stereotypical "junkie" it might be better to use one of these places rather than shooting up in an abandoned building or public loo but, as I say, I wonder how many people like that there actually are and, of course, if there are enough of them to make such a place viable, isn't that going to attract other sorts of crime to the area?
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Hmm, I guess it'd depend on the sort of drug users around.

I can't say I know a lot of drug users but I do know that my town has a fairly big drug problem and that, even so, we rarely see or hear about people doing drugs in public.

I guess that if you were the stereotypical "junkie" it might be better to use one of these places rather than shooting up in an abandoned building or public loo but, as I say, I wonder how many people like that there actually are and, of course, if there are enough of them to make such a place viable, isn't that going to attract other sorts of crime to the area?
    huge, huge numbers.

the rooms under consideration in brighton are aimed at the needle population. my guess is they`d be located somewhere near the ddu, it`ll already have attracted all the crime it`s going to get.

i could see that addicts would be put off by the potential for undercover police presence.
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isnt drug taking illegal.So how can the police let this happen. Surely respect for the law would diminish if some sections of society were being let off using hard drugs.If the police allowed this in one area and arrested people in another for using soft drugs ...this would be ridiculous. :confused:
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    Isnt drug taking illegal.So how can the police let this happen. Surely respect for the law would diminish if some sections of society were being let off using hard drugs.If the police allowed this in one area and arrested people in another for using soft drugs ...this would be ridiculous. :confused:

I'm guessing that you're still young enough to see the world in black and white.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »

You have a point. They should either decriminalise and have centers, programmes such as this, for safe use, or they should retain prohibition and stick to it.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, the legalisation mob are having another go, this time dressing it up as 'consumption rooms'. No doubt once they have these in place and a number of people 'in recovery', they'll press for practice to be extended to home use.
    Secondly, I thought class-A drug use was illegal - but of course they plan to lobby for a change in the law. Bit by bit, they grab a bit more.
    And the tax-payers of Brighton are now buying drugs for junkies? How do they feel about that?
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem if a charity wants to do this but it's well out of order to tax people under threat of violence if necessary and spend it like this.
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    No problem if a charity wants to do this but it's well out of order to tax people under threat of violence if necessary and spend it like this.

where`s that bit?
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Ah, the legalisation mob are having another go, this time dressing it up as 'consumption rooms'. No doubt once they have these in place and a number of people 'in recovery', they'll press for practice to be extended to home use.
    Secondly, I thought class-A drug use was illegal - but of course they plan to lobby for a change in the law. Bit by bit, they grab a bit more.
    And the tax-payers of Brighton are now buying drugs for junkies? How do they feel about that?

The legalisation mob ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where`s that bit?

Refuse to pay your taxes and keep ignoring court summonses and then resist arrest and see what happens.
    Ultimately force will be used, violent if necessary.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drug users don't care if it is legal or not. A point that few seem to grasp on these boards.
    Forum Member
    Refuse to pay your taxes and keep ignoring court summonses and then resist arrest and see what happens.
    Ultimately force will be used, violent if necessary.

do you have any links?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try it
    Forum Member
    Try it

thought not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what do you want a link to? General knowledge?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Its all about harm reduction and is a great idea, they have these rooms in Holland and they have saved many lives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange that they seem very keen to provide dry, warm and comfy rooms for illegal drug taking but if you are a smoker of legal cigarattes paying a large amounts of tax into the exchequer you cannot sit in a room in a Pub or Club, they force you to stand outside. Anyone see anything wrong with this? Mind you, this is the Greens, so they'll probably just do as they please.
    Tell you what - let's allow Brighton to do this, as long as they build a big fence around their madhouse and have border controls.
    Forum Member
    what do you want a link to? General knowledge?

some actual facts or news links?

it`s certainly not in my general knowledge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    acker wrote: »
    The legalisation mob ?

Yes, they call themselves the Green Party:

http://younggreens.greenparty.org.uk/AboutUs/Policy/Drugs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some actual facts or news links?

it`s certainly not in my general knowledge.

What are you on about? Don't you have any concept of what will happen to you ultimately if you continually refuse to pay up or cooperate?
    You will find yourself locked in a cell.
    Go on give it a try.
    Forum Member
    What are you on about? Don't you have any concept of what will happen to you ultimately if you continually refuse to pay up or cooperate?
    You will find yourself locked in a cell.
    Go on give it a try.

it was the violence i was referring to.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »

Did you read the article ? They are NOT buying drugs for junkies .They're wanting to provide a safe place for addicts to use .Away from schools and public places .