Options

Did some of the old ITV compamies have two much spare time?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    markimarki Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Speaking of Calendar, here is a drawing of the studio building at Yorkshire Television. When YTV started in the 1960s where was the studio located for Calendar and where is it today?
    http://plandocs.leeds.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Drawing-267683.pdf?extension=.pdf&id=267683&location=VOLUME2&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    But before we start getting too sentimental and nostalgic, let's remember that most local output, commercial and BBC, was - and remains - utterly dire.

Some were, but my local, Border, produced a five minute short called Border Heritage that showed scenes from the region and was so popular it was made into a DVD. Also they managed to produce a well respected rugby show called The Union and The League that had a big following on Friday nights, the two codes traditionally being bigger than football.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marki wrote: »
    Speaking of Calendar, here is a drawing of the studio building at Yorkshire Television. When YTV started in the 1960s where was the studio located for Calendar and where is it today?
    http://plandocs.leeds.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Drawing-267683.pdf?extension=.pdf&id=267683&location=VOLUME2&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1

Very interesting planning document there,Im not sure where the original news studio was
    but it was i believe converted back to offices when the whole news operation moved to the next door building that had been an ice rink,and ytv aquired this. Think they were in that building for over 20 years before moving back into the tv centre couple of years ago. Think the new Calendar studio is now in what was the ytv bar which is at the bottom right hand side of the building in the plan. I have always been suprised at the size of the ytv complex and how efficiently it was designed and worked. This plan is just the ground floor,there are actually three floors in parts of the building.Glad to see it is back being more or less fully occupied again by itv.
  • Options
    BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    Whilst it is true in theory, in practice it was unlikely to happen because Network companies paid for the network programming even if they did not show it and any itv company opting out of a high percentage of network output would probably be sanctioned by the IBA/ITC.

When Thames joined the network they refused to show Crossroads prompting a campaign led by the Prime Ministers Wife Mary Willson, it was restored after a few months.

The old itv network would show big programmes across all the network at the same time, but also allowed for split networking where programmes would be shown on different days or at different times sometimes weeks later, so if you missed a programme you could sometimes catch it on a adjacent region another day or time. itv companies also bought in material independently to be shown in their own region, mainly during the day or late at night.

When they bought in programmes from the likes of the USA or Australia they would mark it as a "presentation" rather than a production.
    If memory serves, sometimes they would "present" it to the network for multi-region screening, whereas it was sometimes for home region broadcasting only. http://hub.tv-ark.org.uk/images/itveast/anglia_images/gallery/anglia_pres_1980_t738.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    northlad wrote: »
    Very interesting planning document there,Im not sure where the original news studio was
    but it was i believe converted back to offices when the whole news operation moved to the next door building that had been an ice rink,and ytv aquired this. Think they were in that building for over 20 years before moving back into the tv centre couple of years ago. Think the new Calendar studio is now in what was the ytv bar which is at the bottom right hand side of the building in the plan. I have always been suprised at the size of the ytv complex and how efficiently it was designed and worked. This plan is just the ground floor,there are actually three floors in parts of the building.Glad to see it is back being more or less fully occupied again by itv.

Yorkshire studios -

First floor plan - http://plandocs.leeds.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Drawing-267686.pdf?extension=.pdf&id=267686&location=VOLUME2&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1

First floor plan today - http://plandocs.leeds.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Drawing-267719.pdf?extension=.pdf&id=267719&location=VOLUME2&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1

Ground floor plan today - http://plandocs.leeds.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Drawing-267716.pdf?extension=.pdf&id=267716&location=VOLUME2&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1

Second floor plan today - http://plandocs.leeds.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Drawing-267721.pdf?extension=.pdf&id=267721&location=VOLUME2&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    But before we start getting too sentimental and nostalgic, let's remember that most local output, commercial and BBC, was - and remains - utterly dire.

We have a load of excellent local output. You obviously haven't watched any of it to make such sweeping, unresearched comments.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Border Television became the home of the Krankies in the twilight years of their career and they managed to get a show networked. Also they did a pop show for Channel 4 called Buzz, hosted by Muriel Gray. However, this being Border, the bands were usually z list acts like Spear of Destiny,
  • Options
    seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Border Television became the home of the Krankies in the twilight years of their career and they managed to get a show networked. Also they did a pop show for Channel 4 called Buzz, hosted by Muriel Gray. However, this being Border, the bands were usually z list acts like Spear of Destiny,

There still outlasted Cannon and ball for tv series..
  • Options
    Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Sometime in the early 1980's, I cant remember the exact year. Yorkshire TV refused to show the FA Cup Final because no Yorkshire team was involved and because the match was being shown live on BBC 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sometime in the early 1980's, I cant remember the exact year. Yorkshire TV refused to show the FA Cup Final because no Yorkshire team was involved and because the match was being shown live on BBC 1.

1982, Yorkshire Television did indeed show the FA Cup final between Queens Park Rangers and Tottenham Hotspur. The match ended in a draw, the replay was the following Thursday and YTV opted out as they were both London clubs and had little interest to the folks up north.
    The replay was shown live on BBC North.
  • Options
    Thames/LWTThames/LWT Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brampton wrote: »
    I could receive Central and Yorkshire at the time, the difference in schedules was quite vast. Whilst Yorkshire seemed to show a lot of programmes about Yorkshire, Central just shot light years ahead of other regions with any aussie soap they could get their hands on. Being from Derbyshire, I watched alot more Central telly.

Having Central and Yorkshire way back was quite interesting to compare. Central was very innovative in presentation and image and was clearly a well-funded station. And yes, if you were a fan of Prisoner Cell Block H it was THE region to live in :)

Central News East or Calendar? No contest!
    TUC wrote: »
    So Central, presumably a richer company than the others mentioned, invested less in local programming in those slots than poorer neighbours.

I'd hardly call Yorkshire TV poor! It was one of the big 5 in the network. Yorkshire TV had dated imaging and branding, quite poor local news and it just felt tired and dull. Certainly the news never satisfactorily covered its area. The smaller neighbouring companies Anglia and Tyne Tees even looked better! Anglia especially outdid YTV in news, regional production, presentation and image.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Border Television became the home of the Krankies in the twilight years of their career and they managed to get a show networked.

I remember Krazy Kitchen they did at Border around 1985 time :)
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from news programmes I don't understand why everything else wasn't networked
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    Apart from news programmes I don't understand why everything else wasn't networked

That was because the broadcaster .. The ITA then IBA. Wanted to and was set up by parliament to be a regional broadcaster using the programne contractor in each area...

ATV LWT Border etc were not broadcasters .... But were there to serve the region..