Top Of The Pops 1977 - BBC4 (Part 2)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,496
Administrator
Rich Tea. wrote: »
Very interesting and thanks for that link. Somewhat surprised that it has fallen out the top ten viewing, but nowadays I've no idea how they come to a definitive figure, with 3 separate TOTP showings, people recording it, and people watching on the BBC Catch Up player. How on earth do you get a meaningful figure from all that?

Also, before I joined the group, I was reading how 1977 was being looked forward to much more than 1976, so would have expected viewing to have at the very least held up, or maybe increased, so it's disappointing, because it could give ammunition to those who wish to end the run.

For me, it is the ultimate BBC catch up, just 35 years, not a few days, having been just that bit too young by a couple of years.

I wonder, is BBC4 the best place for these shows? Views on BBC2 or even BBC3?
    Admin Notice: This thread is continued here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1607809

Comments

• anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Woo hoo! We got a 2nd continued thread!! Ye ha!!
    • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Those viewing figures are viewing figures for individual broadcasts of programmes but include timeshifted viewings watched within 7 days of the programme being broadcast on TV. I believe this includes iPlayer viewings for the BBC.

A programme such as TOTP 1977 will have its audience fragmented across three broadcasts of the programme and I assume, although I don't know for certain, that the timeshift audience will also be fragmented across those three broadcasts. Perhaps someone with a better understanding of how BARB compiles its weekly figures can explain the compilation process with better clarity.

As for the channel these broadcasts should be on, I believe that BBC3 is aimed at the under 35s which would rule out that channel while BBC4 has a wider remit that includes music. Other than BBC4 that only leaves BBC2 and perhaps the programme is too niche for a mainstream TV channel. TOTP2 is the preferred TOTP alternative that BBC2 prefers to broadcast as it includes performances from a wide variety of acts, in a wide variety of musical styles and from across several decades hence it has a wider appeal.
    • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Robbie01 wrote: »
      Those viewing figures are viewing figures for individual broadcasts of programmes but include timeshifted viewings watched within 7 days of the programme being broadcast on TV. I believe this includes iPlayer viewings for the BBC.

A programme such as TOTP 1977 will have its audience fragmented across three broadcasts of the programme and I assume, although I don't know for certain, that the timeshift audience will also be fragmented across those three broadcasts. Perhaps someone with a better understanding of how BARB compiles its weekly figures can explain the compilation process with better clarity.

As for the channel these broadcasts should be on, I believe that BBC3 is aimed at the under 35s which would rule out that channel while BBC4 has a wider remit that includes music. Other than BBC4 that only leaves BBC2 and perhaps the programme is too niche for a mainstream TV channel. TOTP2 is the preferred TOTP alternative that BBC2 prefers to broadcast as it includes performances from a wide variety of acts, in a wide variety of musical styles and from across several decades hence it has a wider appeal.

I think it suits BBC4 the best, and the channel is infact one of my favourites generally nowadays.
      Regarding the differences between the early trimmed down episode and the later one, last week this made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the edition. The early one was quite disappointing, yet with the extra additions of at least 4 more songs later it made the full TOTP much better all round, and it is a shame that the full length cannot be shown in the early slot, down to the obsession with half hour blocks of programming.

(by the way, as a relative newcomer, what is the reason why they close down the old thread so that a Part 2 has to be created?)

Tonight is THAT chart! The contested Rod/Pistols 1/2.
    • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
      Forum Member
      Rich Tea. wrote: »
      (by the way, as a relative newcomer, what is the reason why they close down the old thread so that a Part 2 has to be created?)

Because the more posts there is in a thread the forum could struggle to load
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
      Forum Member
      Part-quoted post by Rich Tea, from page 123 of the first Top of the Pops: 1977 discussion thread:

Also, before I joined the group, I was reading how 1977 was being looked forward to much more than 1976, so would have expected viewing to have at the very least held up, or maybe increased, so it's disappointing, because it could give ammunition to those who wish to end the run.

For me, it is the ultimate BBC catch up, just 35 years, not a few days, having been just that bit too young by a couple of years.

Even though there are a lot of regulars who post about Top of the Pops on this forum, it's a small number compared to how many watch Top of the Pops: 1977 on BBC Four. We've all got our opinions on the music acts which have been appearing on the programme, and it's good to read varied opinions, even if we may not always agree.

I'm seeing these editions of Top of the Pops for the first time. Started watching the original run around 1983-84, and in hindsight it was at a time when some long running presenters were leaving Top of the Pops (Dave Lee Travis for instance).
    • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
      Forum Member
      Ooh, a fresh new thread all set for tonight's episode. :)
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Because the more posts there is in a thread the forum could struggle to load

Thanks for the explanation Chemical, much appreciated. ;)
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      WaveCrest wrote: »
      Part-quoted post by Rich Tea, from page 123 of the first Top of the Pops: 1977 discussion thread:

Even though there are a lot of regulars who post about Top of the Pops on this forum, it's a small number compared to how many watch Top of the Pops: 1977 on BBC Four. We've all got our opinions on the music acts which have been appearing on the programme, and it's good to read varied opinions, even if we may not always agree.

I'm seeing these editions of Top of the Pops for the first time. Started watching the original run around 1983-84, and in hindsight it was at a time when some long running presenters were leaving Top of the Pops (Dave Lee Travis for instance).

Bad luck to begin watching in 1983/1984. Those were great years themselves, but from 1985 I think it was a decline, and the shows and the music, and even the presentation at the end of the 80's was generally much poorer. I mean, Sybill Roscoe presenting TOTP, Jesus Christ!

There'll be much to say about tonight's one, so enjoy/endure!
    • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Here we go... evening all...
    • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      This is a jolly little number.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Would take another 5 years for South African Gumboots grooves to be fully accepted via Paul Simon.

Ahhh - ELO..
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      What a hideous cut on 'Telephone Line' there. :mad:
      Forum Member
      Hayden wrote: »
      What a hideous cut on 'Telephone Line' there. :mad:

Yeah, was a bit obvious wasn't it?
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Hmm - I can see why Malcolm McLAren took a launch up the Serpentine with this pile of crap "Silver Jubilee".
      Forum Member
      No recollection of the Neil Innes track. Oh, where were the pistols when you needed them?
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Strong three to start and then this absolute clunker.

Dismal.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Good to see Johnny Rotten wearing a flat cap...

This is dreadful!
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Robbie01 wrote: »
      Good to see Johnny Rotten wearing a flat cap...

This is dreadful!

Neil Innes, TO THE TOWER!! Sycophantic, inane drivel. :mad:
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I've just remembered that two days after this edition of TOTP was broadcast back in 1977 I went on a holiday with the family to Butlins in Skegness for a week...
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      We Need Low Camera Angles!
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      alcockell wrote: »
      We Need Low Camera Angles!
      FILTH!

I agree though.... :D
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      This is more like it, an excellent song by Bob Marley.
      Forum Member
      YESSS! Bob Marley...Made my night!! :)
      Forum Member
      It's got to be the quickest 30 mins of the week!!
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Tony would never tell a fib, would he......?