2013 Prediction Thread

DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the year is still young, here's everyone chance to be one of those annoying 'analysts' and predict what's going to happen in 2013. We seem to be in a very interesting time with a lot of moving and shaking going on. There are bound to be winners and losers in an ever more competitive industry

People can write about what they like, but for pointers here are some burning questions. :)

*Nintendo and the Wii U, is it going to be a success?

*Are we going to see Sony/MS next-gen consoles unveiled and released, what approach are they going to take?

*Will GTA be the great title of the year?

*Will Valves/Steam and Nvidias foray into consoles be a success, what are you predicting from them?

*How are the 3DS and Vita going to do?

*Who are going to be winners and losers this year?

all in your opinion

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wii U will pick up during the next few months GTA will be game of the year and Sony will introduce a price cut for the Vita.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

*Are we going to see Sony/MS next-gen consoles unveiled and released, what approach are they going to take?
    Yes. Sony will be the most advanced on paper again and with an identical architecture to the Xbox meaning the best looking games next-gen won't just be the Sony first party titles, but the Xbox's all-round approach may make it the more popular console.

Price may also come in to play. 720 will be $299, PS4 will be higher, but not sure how much, $349-399.

If it is by a small amount and PSN remains free, expect them to push the free online gaming element and now PS+ is vastly superior to XBL, though may be difficult given there won't be any free PS4 games at launch. Which makes me wonder, Gaikai cloud streaming exclusive to PS4 PS+ subs at launch to facilitate free PS3 games?

Depending on the launch line-ups for next-gen, no.

*Will Valves/Steam and Nvidias foray into consoles be a success, what are you predicting from them?Valve maybe. NVIDIA, no. Why buy a horrible looking device from NVIDIA whose main selling point is the Steam streaming that streams Steam from a PC when you could buy Valve's real deal and play natively?

*How are the 3DS and Vita going to do?If Sony incorporates the Vita into PS4's plans, I'm thinking SmartGlass type integration and maybe mandatory Remote Play for all PS4 games, the Vita could do quite well if it does those things.

The major thing here is, Microsoft does not have a portable gaming device. The WiiU has a GamePad, so if the 720 and PS4 take the WiiU route Sony already has the device made and ready, launched and in households.

*Who are going to be winners and losers this year?
    Manchester United.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    No.

I had to stop reading at that, what do you consider a success

one piece of software purchased with WiiU equals a profit, the entire purpose of a company is to make a profit

The WiiU is a profitable device how is making money not a success
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree I think the Wii U will prove a success once games are released and use the tablet controls properly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I had to stop reading at that, what do you consider a success

one piece of software purchased with WiiU equals a profit, the entire purpose of a company is to make a profit

The WiiU is a profitable device how is making money not a success
    The device is not profitable you just said so in the line above. Of course you wouldn't buy a console without a game, but nevertheless!

Anyway, even that doesn't really equal a business success. A business has to grow, or at least maintain its share and revenue. If it doesn't shareholders won't like it.

If Nintendo loses market share or has drastically reduced revenue compared to previous products, that can be seen as a failure rather than a success.

A success would be greater or equal sales to the Wii.

The WiiU is behind Wii launch numbers and the Wii launched at the same time as the PS3, with the PS2 still selling well and the 360 also doing well in its first year. So in other words, a crowded market.

The WiiU just has an aging and downward trending 360 and PS3 to go against and it still performing poorly.

At the point where new consoles tend to hit their stride it will have the 720 and PS4 being launched - so it will be tough for them, but we'll see.

Here are the numbers from December 2006, these are official US sales.

PS2: 1.4m
    PS3: 490k
    360: 1.1m
    Wii: 604k

Now here are the December 2012 figures.

PS3: 700k
    360: 1.4m
    WiiU: 460k

So that is why I am of the opinion that it will not be a success. Maybe it will have good games. Maybe people will find good uses for the GamePad, but in the numbers game I don't think it will match the Wii.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think it's to early to judge it needs to be given time I'll judge it this time next year personally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    I still think it's to early to judge it needs to be given time I'll judge it this time next year personally.
    Absolutely. You cannot cast final judgement now. Which is why this is a thread for predictions.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the Wii U will do okay in the strictest sense, it will make money, sell consistently but I don't think it's going to set the world alight in terms of sales or buzz. I think Nintendo will announce a few surprises (big game?) at E3 which could catalyse a large increase in sales towards the end of the year. I think E3 2013 is going to be very important for Nintendo.

I think a lot of the success will be down to what third parties do with the pad. If many invest unique functions and extras for Wii U, and do it with I think that'll help sell it. If many just tack on basic features (like maps) in a half-bothered way it could damage the consoles reputation.

Unveiled yes, released no. My guess is people are goIng to be disappointed that the graphical leap is not as significant as hoped. In terms of philosophy I think PS4 is going to be a conventional console who's selling point is its pure power. If I had to guess i'd say MS' console is a tad weaker in spec, but is going to showcase built in Kinect 2 and Smartglass features, as its unique selling point.

Other great titles will be released but in terms of commercial success I think GTA is easily going to sell most units.

*How are the 3DS and Vita going to do?

More of the same, I think 3DS is going to still sell well, with Pokemon ensuring a stellar Christmas for the system. I think Sony will perform something drastic to resurrect flagging Vita sales. My guess would be a price cut.

*Who are going to be winners and losers this year? [/B]

Winners: Rockstar/Take 2, Valve/Steam, 3DS

Losers: Vita, COD (will still be profitable but I think people have tired of military FPS, and sales will wane), nVIDIA Project Shield
  • LackadaisicalLackadaisical Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Sly 4 will be the greatest game in 2013.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah will get some new xbox friends that don't run way when they hear her banal chatter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still don't know how Pokemon still sells well in the UK honestly don't know of anyone who plays the games.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I predict that some people will still fail to understand the simple fact that sometimes people like games they dont or vica versa.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think the wiiu has done fantastically well considering nintendo haven't released any of their AAA 1st party titles yet. ;)