Will MAdonna go to no 1 with Living FOr Love this week?

Comments

• Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    i still think

Devil Pray should have been the first single with a video that featured the gospel and MNEK parts.... Living for love is an album track not a lead single imo.

I am pleased that Ghosttown is the second single.

You are the first person I have seen that agrees with my thoughts. Devil Pray is the stand out track of the album, the song has multiple hooks, it was stuck in my head for weeks and should have been the lead single. From the first time I heard the 1.5 minute preview on iTunes I loved that song.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the sad thing is we might never know what may have been had it not been for hacks.

Living For Love was going to be dropped on Valentines Day. Only reason we got it at Xmas was because of the leak. Its sad to think how much that has effected everything.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the sad thing is we might never know what may have been had it not been for hacks.

Living For Love was going to be dropped on Valentines Day. Only reason we got it at Xmas was because of the leak. Its sad to think how much that has effected everything.

And how many of the fans downloaded it?, yes it was leaked but that didn't mean people had to get it until officially released....blame the fans for that one not just the hack both are just as guilty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    And how many of the fans downloaded it?, yes it was leaked but that didn't mean people had to get it until officially released....blame the fans for that one not just the hack both are just as guilty.
    This only applies to the UK. All America got it for free when they pre ordered the album and got the 6 songs.

For someone who claims we shouldn't care you seem more bothered than most...
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still feel that Madonna has nothing to prove anymore. Yes of course it would be great for the fans and her to have a #1 single (or top 3 or something) but it's not like it actually matters now. Believe me, I'm not a massive M fan but I do like a lot of her songs and something this week has really taught me about her is that a) she's a fighter and b) we are all very ageist and for some reason really want to see Madonna fall (no pun intended! I didn't mean in the literal sense :D).

I really think Madonna has had a hard time over the fact she is 56, like what the hell!? If it was race or sexuality it'd be another issue. Still, through this will mean change and people's attitudes will hopefully be better in another 50 years. Anyway, I'm digressing XD
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What was the last big hit for her celebration in 2009 I think.

That was a great dance tune
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    What was the last big hit for her celebration in 2009 I think.

That was a great dance tune

Yeah I think it was, she released the 'Greatest Hits' then too.

I really really hate 'Give Me All Your Luvin' (MDNA in 2012). I always thought what a piss-poor song for the Queen of pop Madonna. I often wonder if even she likes it but maybe it's just because I hate it so much lol
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What must be really annoying to Madonna is that the country that embraced her more than any other at her peak the UK, seems to be where she is having least success now.

Yet she was never as big in the us as the UK comparatively speaking but the usa seems to be with her more now than what she was at her peak

Is the UK a lot more agist than other countries now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    What must be really annoying to Madonna is that the country that embraced her more than any other at her peak the UK, seems to be where she is having least success now.

Yet she was never as big in the us as the UK comparatively speaking but the usa seems to be with her more now than what she was at her peak

Is the UK a lot more agist than other countries now

Well I think over the years the UK has become more harsher in words and with the media being at such a central point of everything now, it's understandable it's gone that way. I think people were much more "nicer" even as much as 10 years ago! I've definitely noticed some weird change but that's another topic.

I really do think Madonna will stop when she's about 60. I don't mean quit music forever but possibly do directing and have one or two songs crop up here or there for a soundtrack or something. I reckon in a few years she'll do a kind of farewell tour. I can just see it going that way, I may be wrong but who knows. One thing I seem to notice is that she is at her best in her tours (lately, since Hard Candy onward), and that's probably because a) it's her show but also because the people there are supporters, not a mixed crowd like grammys, BRITs etc etc.

It's weird that people want to see Madonna fail now, after being in the business, what 30 years? We're a cruel lot that's for sure!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have wanted Madonna to fail her entire career. Its not a new thing. I do think its because she is a powerful woman and women like that seem to trigger pure hatred within some people. Madonna was written off as a one hit wonder in the 80s. Yet every time she comes back and proves people wrong. She set records with MDNA and she will do the same with Rebel Heart. It will beat the Elvis record in the UK and she will become the solo artist with the most number 1 albums in the entire history of the chart. Not bad going for someone who is no longer relevant! ;)
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have wanted Madonna to fail her entire career. Its not a new thing. I do think its because she is a powerful woman and women like that seem to trigger pure hatred within some people. Madonna was written off as a one hit wonder in the 80s. Yet every time she comes back and proves people wrong. She set records with MDNA and she will do the same with Rebel Heart. It will beat the Elvis record in the UK and she will become the solo artist with the most number 1 albums in the entire history of the chart. Not bad going for someone who is no longer relevant! ;)

Is there a guarantee that her album will be number 1? It will go top 5, but number 1? I'm doubtful, sadly.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    Cloudy2 wrote: »
    You are the first person I have seen that agrees with my thoughts. Devil Pray is the stand out track of the album, the song has multiple hooks, it was stuck in my head for weeks and should have been the lead single. From the first time I heard the 1.5 minute preview on iTunes I loved that song.

great minds....
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Is there a guarantee that her album will be number 1? It will go top 5, but number 1? I'm doubtful, sadly.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed because her fan base is massive. I wouldn't assume that just because her singles don't sell her albums won't either. I'm a massive M fan and I won't be purchasing LFL - but i'll be getting the album as soon as physically possible.

Besides, her last studio album not to reach #1 was Bedtime Stories back in 1994 :D
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Besides, her last studio album not to reach #1 was Bedtime Stories back in 1994 :D

Which was because apart from the singles and 'Sanctuary', it's aptly named in that the rest will send you to sleep! Truly the only album low-point of her career.
    Forum Member
    Which was because apart from the singles and 'Sanctuary', it's aptly named in that the rest will send you to sleep! Truly the only album low-point of her career.

Haha couldn't agree more! Sanctuary/Bedtime Story is truly the saving grace of That album.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Makes me laugh when I read stuff like this cos Bedtime Stories is my favourite Madonna album and the one I play the most! Different strokes for different folks I guess :)

And sadly it's not looking too good for Living for Love now, I was really hoping for top 5 but it's looking very unlikely now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty much guaranteed because her fan base is massive. I wouldn't assume that just because her singles don't sell her albums won't either. I'm a massive M fan and I won't be purchasing LFL - but i'll be getting the album as soon as physically possible.

Yeah, these days it is pretty pointless buying singles. In days gone by, you would buy a physical single to add to your collection, a few weeks before the album and you bought it because you hadn't heard the song and wanted to hear it in your home on your stereo. It was a bridge gap before the album, and it was at a time when chart success meant something.

These days you can hear singles anywhere, anytime across the internet, and they're generally released a week before the album, and as you can just listen without buying, as many times as you like, as there is no physical copy to add to your collection, what is the point of buying a single? It doesn't feel special, and, as it's the exact same version that features on the album, you might as well wait a few days and buy the album!

It might help single sales in future when Global release day launches in the summer. But, I have conceded that Madonna is unlikely to have a solo UK number one again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »

The single releases are where Madonna is giving a disservice to her loyal fans. Her fans are largely 30-40-50 year olds who have physical copies of the singles because they like to collect them. The singles also occasionally had a rare track on them, or a guaranteed totally different version of the song. They were worth buying and having. Now, we don't get a physical copy, no extras, we have to buy each remix seperately whereas you'd pay £3.99 for a whole disc full of them in the past. If she actually insisted to Interscope that there should be universal physical copies of each of her singles, then fans might buy them. You can't stick a download next to CD! So, why bother?
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    The single releases are where Madonna is giving a disservice to her loyal fans. Her fans are largely 30-40-50 year olds who have physical copies of the singles because they like to collect them. The singles also occasionally had a rare track on them, or a guaranteed totally different version of the song. They were worth buying and having. Now, we don't get a physical copy, no extras, we have to buy each remix seperately whereas you'd pay £3.99 for a whole disc full of them in the past. If she actually insisted to Interscope that there should be universal physical copies of each of her singles, then fans might buy them. You can't stick a download next to CD! So, why bother?

My thoughts exactly. I've bought every Madonna single on release week since Die Another Day. LFL is the first I've not bought in 13 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts exactly. I've bought every Madonna single on release week since Die Another Day. LFL is the first I've not bought in 13 years.

I have every Madonna single on disc since La Isla Bonita and the last one I bought was Girl Gone Wild. It is sad that I have to pay a fortune for a German import of a disc that contains a measly two tracks, so I won't bother. Madonna's management can't expect us to pay good money and get nothing. If she wants us to buy her single, then give us a proper single to buy! Simple!
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure how streaming works in regards to the chart, but I've just checked Spotify and LFL has almost 4.3 million streams since it became available. I'm not sure if that's good :confused:

Ellie Goulding has over 72 million, but I don't know if that's in total, or just this week. Not a clue! :D

Ellie Goulding's track had 2.57 million streams last week which was a UK chart record. This gave her an added 25 780 stream 'sales' to her download total of 92 563. 100 streams=1 stream 'sale'.
    Mark Ronson was getting around 2.5 million streams in some weeks during his run at No.1.

A Thursday release for Madonna was odd though. I'd be surprised if she's Top 20 tomorrow.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    how amazing is the haddaway mash up ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Omxkyz1Zn0

she has to perform this with Haddaway in Germany surely? as part of the promo?
    3rd remix volume please ...with this , strobe 92 mix and tracy young mix?
  • PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like it will barely scrape into the top 20. Sad times
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like it will barely scrape into the top 20. Sad times

Its strange how the UK which was the one country that always had her back is pretty much not interested anymore. We seem to be the most ageist country in the world, which is alarming given we led the stand on racism and homophobia before anyone else.

The album will still go to number 1 and break that Elvis record. So at least that's something! :o
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its strange how the UK which was the one country that always had her back is pretty much not interested anymore. We seem to be the most ageist country in the world, which is alarming given we led the stand on racism and homophobia before anyone else.

The album will still go to number 1 and break that Elvis record. So at least that's something! :o

Yeah...because Madonna not charting as high as you would like goes to prove that. Maybe people have actually just got bored with her and are not that bothered by her new material...I haven't bothered with her since Ray of Light, anything after that just sounds to me like what she has done before....nothing to do with her age.

Her album will sell well and that will probably make number 1 in several Countries around the World, I suspect a lot of people will also see her now as an album artist and get that, rather than the singles.