The Brits - Surprise Performer Tonight

2»

Comments

• daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Kanye was bloody awful. Royal Blood were excellent though. Great young talent.

They were my favourites on the night, brilliant to see them win an award too!

I'm reserving judgement on KanAUDIO MUTEDye West for now :)
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed George Ezra and Paloma, I thought Kanye was absolutely awful! Though it probably would have been better if itv hadn't muted half of it!
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,623
    Forum Member
    Kanye West's performance was the worst of the night. It actually helped that the audio kept being cut out although one "shit" did slip through the net. :p

Why were Take That performing? They weren't up for any awards this year and again, I thought they were below average with whatever song it was they were singing. For someone whose usually a good vocalist, Gary sure hit a lot of bum notes.

Feel a bit sorry for George Ezra. He was never going to win any awards up against Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith but his performance of Budapest was great.

Re; the Madonna incident, sometimes all you need to do is perform the song without any fancy frills that could potential destroy the whole thing. That's what happened with Madonna and the cloak. She would've been better just singing the song without the fancy build up.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »
    They were my favourites on the night, brilliant to see them win an award too!

I'm reserving judgement on KanAUDIO MUTEDye West for now :)

Think I might check out their album. Ah, to be young and talented...
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Kanye West's performance was the worst of the night. It actually helped that the audio kept being cut out although one "shit" did slip through the net. :p

Why were Take That performing? They weren't up for any awards this year and again, I thought they were below average with whatever song it was they were singing. For someone whose usually a good vocalist, Gary sure hit a lot of bum notes.

Feel a bit sorry for George Ezra. He was never going to win any awards up against Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith but his performance of Budapest was great.

Re; the Madonna incident, sometimes all you need to do is perform the song without any fancy frills that could potential destroy the whole thing. That's what happened with Madonna and the cloak. She would've been better just singing the song without the fancy build up.

I agree - without Sheeran and Sam Smith, he'd have got a lot more recognition and awards but he was never really going to get much of a look in with those two around.
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed George Ezra and Paloma, I thought Kanye was absolutely awful! Though it probably would have been better if itv hadn't muted half of it!

For me Paloma smashed it but George was great aswell
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Kanye was bloody awful. Royal Blood were excellent though. Great young talent.
    Oh I wouldn't say that, the muted bits were terrific ;):p Royal Blood were great :)
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    George was great.
    Madonna I did not really like the song!!
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble is that somebody like Madonna (and Taylor Swift) who are just soloists with not very good songs and not terrific voices either, would be lost without the show that their dancers put on to entertain the crowds. In my opinion, obviously :D
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We reckon Madonna tried to take her cape off but couldn't and the dancers pulled to take it off her but it was still fastened so pulled poor Madonna off the stage :o I hope she didn't hurt herself.

On another board someone uploaded the incident to YouTube, but the BPI has blocked it on copyright grounds.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    The trouble is that somebody like Madonna (and Taylor Swift) who are just soloists with not very good songs and not terrific voices either, would be lost without the show that their dancers put on to entertain the crowds. In my opinion, obviously :D

I would agree with you apart from the fact she has some excellent songs.
  • Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dzVV6rrY0Ow

It's a long time ago but Madonna has given a brilliant performance at an awards ceremony without dancers and relied on just her voice. This is from the Academy Awards in 1991.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds almost like a re-run of Sunday Night At The London Palladium.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was funny seeing the faces of Taylor Swift, Lionel Richie and Sam Smith during Kanye's muted audio performance :D. That was my hightlight tonight. Unfortunately he never stormed anyone's acceptence speach though :(. The Brits are getting as bland as the Grammies

Oh and Sam Smith and Ed Sheerin performances very dull, but all of their music is anyway
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kanye West's performance was the worst of the night. It actually helped that the audio kept being cut out although one "shit" did slip through the net. :p.

He was awful. I'm sure that I heard an N word slip through the net early on too!
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,623
    Forum Member

Madonna should've performed Ghosttown instead then. It's by far the best track I've heard from the Rebel Heart album (the only one I've downloaded on iTunes too).

I don't see why Madonna couldn't just stand on stage and deliver a flawless vocal and singing, imo, the best song on the album. Ok, there's still about 10 tracks yet to be added to iTunes but I'm already convinced nothing is going to outdo Ghosttown in terms of musicality, lyrics and melody.

Sometimes less is more. Ask Adele. :D
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Kanye West was brilliant. I've always held a very high dislike of him, so wasn't going to give his song much of a chance. But thought the song and the set up was excellent. Really grimy. ITV ruined it by muting loads of the song.

Ed Sheeran was good but a bit dull.

Royal Blood were also really good. There's a certain energy about their songs.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,774
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Not all.

Who was missing?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,774
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    I'd say that was pretty appalling.

What do you expect them to do? Have loads of unpopular people on?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Madonna should've performed Ghosttown instead then. It's by far the best track I've heard from the Rebel Heart album (the only one I've downloaded on iTunes too).

I don't see why Madonna couldn't just stand on stage and deliver a flawless vocal and singing, imo, the best song on the album. Ok, there's still about 10 tracks yet to be added to iTunes but I'm already convinced nothing is going to outdo Ghosttown in terms of musicality, lyrics and melody.

Sometimes less is more. Ask Adele. :D

I suppose when you're closing the show it may come across as a little underwhelming for there not to be some sort of big production.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't sure if Royal Blood's garage rock would transfer to an arena but boy did it. Unbelievable that they can make such a sound with only two people, and proper rock music as well, none of that pussy indie crap. Great stuff!
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing against the Royal Blood lads and at least they rocked the school disco that was this years Brits. But you do realise that the "such a sound with two people" and "proper rock music" is the product of him running his bass through some effect pedals that artificially create a fake guitar sound on top of his bass playing. When you hear the high notes its not because he's played them, he's just pressed a button on his pedal board on the floor to pitch shift the bass note.

Whether that plops on the idea of them being garage musicians or it makes them very clever in how they use effects to get a bigger sound I'll leave you to decide.
  • Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with Kayne West. One thing I did not understand was why did they let him perform a song that contains so much bad language (and also possible heavy usage of the n word) :confused: A "muted sound" icon appeared constantly on the top right hand corner of the screen.

I really enjoyed George Ezra, but this was clearly as expected, Ed and Sam's time in the sun.

Wasn't keen on Take That's new song; really like These Days though. I was listening to that song a couple of times over the Christmas and New Year period on Spotify.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing against the Royal Blood lads and at least they rocked the school disco that was this years Brits. But you do realise that the "such a sound with two people" and "proper rock music" is the product of him running his bass through some effect pedals that artificially create a fake guitar sound on top of his bass playing. When you hear the high notes its not because he's played them, he's just pressed a button on his pedal board on the floor to pitch shift the bass note.

Whether that plops on the idea of them being garage musicians or it makes them very clever in how they use effects to get a bigger sound I'll leave you to decide.

I'm a musician myself so more than well aware of how Royal Blood get their sound, thank you very much.

Fact is I haven't really heard any other duo sound quite so powerful with just bass, vocals and drums. It's very clever use of effects and song structure.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claffers wrote: »
    I suppose when you're closing the show it may come across as a little underwhelming for there not to be some sort of big production.

That's why she pulled the cape trick...classic.