car polish for moble screens?

KnightonKnighton Posts: 667
Forum Member
✭✭
Will it damage the screen? I don't really want a screen protector so can something like Autoglym be ok to use?

Comments

• Awshum-YawnAwshum-Yawn Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definately not... will damage the phone and your warranty will be voided.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damp tissue then dry tissue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Knighton wrote: »
    Will it damage the screen? I don't really want a screen protector so can something like Autoglym be ok to use?

Car polish removes a tiny TINY layer of paint from your cars top coat, in effect it removes the lacquer to bring up the colour underneath. If you where to use this on a clear highly polished surface it would scratch the hell out of it, it would be so bad you would not even be able to see the screen.

As the previous poster said, just clean the screen with a damp cloth and then dry it with a lint free polishing cloth.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    Definately not... will damage the phone and your warranty will be voided.

Indeed, Awshum-Yawn, as such materials can contain abrasive particles which is the last thing that a sensitive mobile phone screen needs. There are some tips here http://www.ehow.com/how_2187212_clean-iphone-screen.html.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Tardis that should sort it :cool:
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    pilot25dmc wrote: »
    Car polish removes a tiny TINY layer of paint from your cars top coat, in effect it removes the lacquer to bring up the colour underneath. If you where to use this on a clear highly polished surface it would scratch the hell out of it, it would be so bad you would not even be able to see the screen.

As the previous poster said, just clean the screen with a damp cloth and then dry it with a lint free polishing cloth.

this information is a little bit confused.

car polish is just a wax coating of some sort.

you are thinking of cutting compounds like tcut. these contain an abrasive and a solvent. they do remove a small part of the surface layer, but not to expose the paint underneath, just to smooth it into the cracks.
    Forum Member
    If your going to try and correct me then get your facts straight.

Read the following.....

Which is the best to use, car wax or polish? What is the difference?
    "A well polished cleaning method."

Polish is a mildly abrasive substance which sands the surface of paint smooth and allows it to shine. Wax is a non abrasive coating which protects the paint finish and microscopically fills in the dents and dimples in the paint to help the shine.

Even some manufacturers confuse the terms polish and wax which really undermines their credibility. Putting wax over a bad paint finish will just seal in the imperfections and will not enhance the appearance of the paint so waxing is a final finishing job only.

Polishing is only something you should do when the paint finish has become flat. Years of dirt grime and road film along with sunlight can degrade the finish on a car. Red cars seem to be much more suseptible to sunlight degredation that other colours and the paint turns a dull pink colour (this is caused by oxidation).

You need to determine if the paint defect is above or below the surface and use either a finishing wax or polish the paint first.
    Each time you polish the car you are removing a small layer of paint and if you do this too often you will go through to the undercoat and the only way of fixing that is to respray the car.
    Forum Member
    If your going to try and correct me then get your facts straight.

Read the following.....

Which is the best to use, car wax or polish? What is the difference?
    "A well polished cleaning method."

Polish is a mildly abrasive substance which sands the surface of paint smooth and allows it to shine. Wax is a non abrasive coating which protects the paint finish and microscopically fills in the dents and dimples in the paint to help the shine.

Even some manufacturers confuse the terms polish and wax which really undermines their credibility. Putting wax over a bad paint finish will just seal in the imperfections and will not enhance the appearance of the paint so waxing is a final finishing job only.

Polishing is only something you should do when the paint finish has become flat. Years of dirt grime and road film along with sunlight can degrade the finish on a car. Red cars seem to be much more suseptible to sunlight degredation that other colours and the paint turns a dull pink colour (this is caused by oxidation).

You need to determine if the paint defect is above or below the surface and use either a finishing wax or polish the paint first.
    Each time you polish the car you are removing a small layer of paint and if you do this too often you will go through to the undercoat and the only way of fixing that is to respray the car.

just because it's written down doesn't make it true. lol.

do you remember saying this 'in effect it removes the lacquer to bring up the colour underneath' it's just up the page. and it's completely wrong. regardless of whether we are talking about cutting compounds or not, or whether someone has done a switcheroo on the definitions of polish and cutting compound.

now if you'll excuse me i'm polishing my shoes. i hope it doesn't wear them away.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Damp tissue then dry tissue.

No way! Tissue is wood and wood scratches!
    Forum Member
    You said that Polish was the same as wax, its not, Polish has an abrasive compound in it that removes a miniscule amount of paint from the top coat (lacquer) thus bringing out the colour underneath. Wax protects paint from road salt, uv rays and other substances that can effect a cars painted surface. Usually after polishing a car you wax it.

The fact you replied to a post that you know nothing about is just plain dumb.
    Forum Member
    You said that Polish was the same as wax, its not, Polish has an abrasive compound in it that removes a miniscule amount of paint from the top coat (lacquer) thus bringing out the colour underneath. Wax protects paint from road salt, uv rays and other substances that can effect a cars painted surface. Usually after polishing a car you wax it.

The fact you replied to a post that you know nothing about is just plain dumb.

yeah mate you just keep going on about this. i'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, i was just trying to help the op who is clearly talking about barrier protective autoglym products by correcting the nonsense that you wrote. but whatever you want.

feel free to keep talking, i'm busy polishing my helmet.
  • NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just use Brasso Gadgetcare. Similar, but it is designed for phones, laptop screens etc. etc. etc. comes with its own cloth, and won't do any damage.
    Forum Member
    Post deleted, dont want to be banned.
  • KnightonKnighton Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeez, I thought I can be childish but you two have turned it in to an artform.

Thanks to Nasalhair, that's exactly what I was after :)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microfibre cloth is best for these things.
  • Awshum-YawnAwshum-Yawn Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I do is use a phone pouch/sock for when it's rattling around in my pocket or locker in work... means if you put keys in the same pocket it won't damage the handset and I use a £1.50 cloth from vision express to clean the smudges n fingerprints.