Producers promise "total revamp" for 2013

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
Forum Member
It's all over the American press today that producers are furious at how badly this Season is rating, and are promising a big shake-up for next years edition.

Apparently, Minaj has been given her marching orders, whilst Pariah Scarey and Randy Jackson have chosen to quit. It's also believed that Keith Urban is going to leave to focus on his music career/ touring commitments.

On top of that, Nigel Lythgoe is believed to be being forced out, as producers want the show to take a more current approach to singing. Among the changes they are looking to make are updating their cleared song lists, and changing the way themes are utilised (no more Motown/ Bacharach weeks.)

All sounds very interesting. Idol is my favourite singing show but desperately needs freshening up.

Changes I'd make include revamping the voting system (as well as a televote, I'd also make the iTunes downloads count- a very demographic downloads to the demographic that votes, and this will stop the housewives choice dominating the vote each week)

As for judges, I'd bring in Lenny Kravitz, Katy Perry and Jamie Foxx.

A credible, charismatic mix with a strong sense of artistic identity but enough personality to ensure the show is never boring. I think 3 judges works way better than 4, and ensures the show is focused on the competing artists, not the celebrity judges (this isn't X Factor, afterall!)

Comments

• bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all over the American press today that producers are furious at how badly this Season is rating, and are promising a big shake-up for next years edition.

Apparently, Minaj has been given her marching orders, whilst Pariah Scarey and Randy Jackson have chosen to quit. It's also believed that Keith Urban is going to leave to focus on his music career/ touring commitments.

On top of that, Nigel Lythgoe is believed to be being forced out, as producers want the show to take a more current approach to singing. Among the changes they are looking to make are updating their cleared song lists, and changing the way themes are utilised (no more Motown/ Bacharach weeks.)

All sounds very interesting. Idol is my favourite singing show but desperately needs freshening up.

Changes I'd make include revamping the voting system (as well as a televote, I'd also make the iTunes downloads count- a very demographic downloads to the demographic that votes, and this will stop the housewives choice dominating the vote each week)

As for judges, I'd bring in Lenny Kravitz, Katy Perry and Jamie Foxx.

A credible, charismatic mix with a strong sense of artistic identity but enough personality to ensure the show is never boring. I think 3 judges works way better than 4, and ensures the show is focused on the competing artists, not the celebrity judges (this isn't X Factor, afterall!)

It definitely needs a shake up. The only judge that bothered me really this season was Randy Jackson, he really should have gone last year. He might as well not be there, he could have a recordings of the same comments from the last 11 seasons 'in it to win in' blah blah blah ..

Minja and Mariah did look like too bitter bitches, scowling at each other all the time, but individually I thought they were both ok but as part of a team, they did not work together.

Keith, is just far too normal and nice.

Also thought the set/location looked dull, paired down, dark and somewhat depressing.

As for Nigel Lythcoe, he really has passed his sell by date.

The themes every week is and always has been ridiculous.

This year annoyed me from the off when the 24 were put into that small holding room at the back of the stage and then the 12 were announced by Ryan and the others were just left in that back room like rubbish. They did not deserve that.

And as for last weeks mentor Harry Connick Jnr, jeez don't get me started on him.

They certainly need judges that have credibility and are more current.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is well overdue. How many versions of the same dated songs do we need to hear?
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My main wishes for the 'revamp' (if it happens) would be:

- NOT to have a panel full of singers & musicians. I'd love to see them hire a record executive, choreographer, music journalist etc. Also, make sure the judges are COMMITTED to the job, rather than looking like it's just a weekly annoyance for them.

- Go back to the semi-final format they had from seasons 4 to 7, but without the equal gender split (i.e. just eliminate four people a week regardless of whether they are male or female).

- Alternate between theme and non-theme nights, so the contestants can stick to their comfort zones some weeks and be challenged in others. For the non-theme weeks, let people play their own songs if they want.

- Show more footage of the contestants in the studio. I liked when they did that in season 10.

I honestly don't think any changes they make wil stop Idol from dropping in ratings, but I think (maybe optimistically) they could get to season 15 if they're smart enough.