Options

Will there be a UK X Factor Left for Simon Cowell to Come Back To

124»

Comments

• Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Apart from Get Lucky I guess nobody who watches X-Factor remembers Good Times; Le Freak; We Are Family; Like A Virgin; Let's Dance; The Reflex; Upside Down; Love Shack; Material Girl; I'm Coming Out; The Wild Boys; Rappers Delight; China Girl; Frankie; Everybody Dance; Higher Love; Notorious; Gettin' Jiggy Wit It; Modern Love; My Forbidden Lover; Why; Thinking Of You; Dress You Up; I'm Not Perfect ....

that's why I said I am not disputing his pedigree

how many x factor viewers would actually know he had anything to do with any of those songs however ?
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Yeah but more people would tune in on Sunday, would also make people like me a lot more happy, look at America, Australia etc were they air on Wed & Thur, I'd honestly prefer that

There is football on tv a lot Wed and Thurs so would never work
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not so - the Saturday night audience is still potentially massive. Look at SCD.

Strictly airs at the perfect time for a light entertainment show; in reality, in it's current weakened state, The X Factor finishes too late.
    jjbir wrote: »
    Very good analysis - reads like a thesis. :cool:

I have too much time on my hands. :o:D:o
  • Options
    EEAS1997EEAS1997 Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Gone in a flash. :D

The chair challenge was probably the heaviest part of the series though; people really thought it was hard to watch because of the emotions at play and people losing their spot at the final moment.

The issue started in 2011 and I'd argue that the 'x' that marks the spot is ending on Ceri's audition (which was basically one where the contestant is ridiculed) instead of an uplifting positive one. Bootcamp was the Frankie Cocazza sex show which accompanied a drastic cut in acts before anyone even sang.

This was nothing compared to the horrific twist which was foisted onto the first live show - namely, four contestants being cut without the public having a say. The departure of Amelia Lily was particularly farcical; it wasn't as though the powers-at-be were unaware of her popularity - her performance of ET had been widely praised and applauded in the run up to the first performance show. She was THE act who viewers had invested in and soon as she left so did the viewers. Strangely, the show saw an uplift when she returned. Funny that.

Series 8 actually had the talent and personalities on stage but dire production decisions and a panel who couldn't stand each other dragged the show down badly.

Series 9 never really had a chance from the start; people decided enough was enough after Series 8 and didn't invest and they didn't have the talent or moments to get people talking. There was nothing really new or special about the show - Nicole had joined a year too late - and a dour first performance show followed by a repeat of Maria Lawson v The Conway Sisters/Laura White v Jedward was the nail in the proverbial coffin. Again, there was some talent there but most of it was niche. For different reasons Gary, Louis and Tulisa really couldn't be bothered with the series and the enduring attacks of Christopher Maloney just presented the show as even nastier than before.

They seemed to have the right idea with this series; make it more light hearted and have a few more laughs in the audition shows did seem to work. But after then they were clueless how to maintain the comedic element. The chair challenge, while dramatic, was still quite nasty and Judges Houses must have been sponsored by Kleenex.

The worst thing about Judges Houses was the wrong acts were put through. While I don't quite go along with the obsessive fandom that seems to surround Melanie McCabe it was presented as 'her time' and people had invested in her story; same with Joseph Whelan. Neither Abi Alton (who harks back to the niche part of the programme - Louis pointed out in her first audition that she was 'wrong' for the show) or Lorna Simpson (who was left off the edit and overpowered by Sam Bailey and Hannah) were needed or had the required impact for the lives. As it is there are some talented acts - Hannah, Sam Bailey, Tamera, Nicholas - but not enough variation to pull in the casual viewer and, while their voices can be applauded, they haven't really been given a strong enough backstory to keep people involved (such as Melanie's continuing attempts or Joseph's family).

One of the best comments I've read on here, nicely put :cool: You've summed everything up.
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Gone in a flash. :D

The chair challenge was probably the heaviest part of the series though; people really thought it was hard to watch because of the emotions at play and people losing their spot at the final moment.

The issue started in 2011 and I'd argue that the 'x' that marks the spot is ending on Ceri's audition (which was basically one where the contestant is ridiculed) instead of an uplifting positive one. Bootcamp was the Frankie Cocazza sex show which accompanied a drastic cut in acts before anyone even sang.

This was nothing compared to the horrific twist which was foisted onto the first live show - namely, four contestants being cut without the public having a say. The departure of Amelia Lily was particularly farcical; it wasn't as though the powers-at-be were unaware of her popularity - her performance of ET had been widely praised and applauded in the run up to the first performance show. She was THE act who viewers had invested in and soon as she left so did the viewers. Strangely, the show saw an uplift when she returned. Funny that.

Series 8 actually had the talent and personalities on stage but dire production decisions and a panel who couldn't stand each other dragged the show down badly.

Series 9 never really had a chance from the start; people decided enough was enough after Series 8 and didn't invest and they didn't have the talent or moments to get people talking. There was nothing really new or special about the show - Nicole had joined a year too late - and a dour first performance show followed by a repeat of Maria Lawson v The Conway Sisters/Laura White v Jedward was the nail in the proverbial coffin. Again, there was some talent there but most of it was niche. For different reasons Gary, Louis and Tulisa really couldn't be bothered with the series and the enduring attacks of Christopher Maloney just presented the show as even nastier than before.

They seemed to have the right idea with this series; make it more light hearted and have a few more laughs in the audition shows did seem to work. But after then they were clueless how to maintain the comedic element. The chair challenge, while dramatic, was still quite nasty and Judges Houses must have been sponsored by Kleenex.

The worst thing about Judges Houses was the wrong acts were put through. While I don't quite go along with the obsessive fandom that seems to surround Melanie McCabe it was presented as 'her time' and people had invested in her story; same with Joseph Whelan. Neither Abi Alton (who harks back to the niche part of the programme - Louis pointed out in her first audition that she was 'wrong' for the show) or Lorna Simpson (who was left off the edit and overpowered by Sam Bailey and Hannah) were needed or had the required impact for the lives. As it is there are some talented acts - Hannah, Sam Bailey, Tamera, Nicholas - but not enough variation to pull in the casual viewer and, while their voices can be applauded, they haven't really been given a strong enough backstory to keep people involved (such as Melanie's continuing attempts or Joseph's family).

The chair challenge wasn't given a sufficient introduction, unlike in the US, so it looked like a cruel last-minute change. In the UK, the viewer seem to assume that none of the acts know about the twist; in the US, it was assumed to be known. This little detail made Bootcamp seem like a really vile challenge.

2011's Live Show 1 was all sorts of wrong. As a result, the Live Shows felt like 9 weeks long (instead of 10) because there was still a wall between the judges + acts and the audience. Sophie overachieving and Amelia underachieving was a disaster for the producers (I still think that Amelia's axe was an attempt to avoid controversy, not to stir it). Bully-gate made the middle section of the judges' table very frosty, and Frankie's controversies were controversial in a way that turned people off (compared to Katie/Jedward/Wagner, who, to some extent, made people want a wee bit more).

2012 was all sorts of bad. Louis's U-turn in Week 1 brought back allegation of fixing and Maloney was clearly a botched decision, to the point that Rylan (who was involved in the Week 1 brouhaha) became someone worth rooting for. It doesn't help that James Arthur was, by a mile, the best act of the show.

btw It's Lucie Jones, not Laura White. :D

The JH choices seem fine, except perhaps for the lack of "The Fun Factor" and the odd choice of three lady Overs. I think Abi and Lorna, among others, were meant to be fodder (although Abi might end up being a hard nut to crack). This is normal (last year, we had MK1, Melanie, Jade, etc.). As for the lack of variety, that is a problem. Having two big voices in Hannah and Sam Bailey and the return of "the archetype" in Nicholas (Louis compared him to Bublé; who else got that? Joe McElderry) doesn't bode well for variety and for the producers' plans, who might crank up the manipulation to get certain acts far enough for the tour, which will tick people off.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianner wrote: »
    Id say hes the biggest in the UK and europe cos of daft punk and his Get lucky.
    And the fact that he is a fresh face.

I personally cant wait!

The guy is a musical legend, no doubt about it. However, IMHO, he is not current or well known enough by the target demographic. People won't necessarily associate him with the Daft Punk song and sadly, probably won't have a clue about who Chic are or any of his seminal work. They will be too busy wetting their knickers over Miley Cyrus.
  • Options
    mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy is a musical legend, no doubt about it. However, IMHO, he is not current or well known enough by the target demographic. People won't necessarily associate him with the Daft Punk song and sadly, probably won't have a clue about who Chic are or any of his seminal work. They will be too busy wetting their knickers over Miley Cyrus.

Nile is an amazing add to the show. But if its enough to save it remains to be seen. Flopzinger Borelow and Mrs O have done a great of damage with their behavior and acts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    marianner wrote: »
    Nile is an amazing add to the show. But if its enough to save it remains to be seen. Flopzinger Borelow and Mrs O have done a great of damage with their behavior and acts.

Agreed. I stopped watching because of Boring Barlow, wrong acts put through endlessly, nights out with my mates more fun and I don't have a single milligram of love for Sharon after her nasty slagging off of Susan Boyle :mad: (who I can tell is a warm and loving individual).