13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedlem wrote: »
    Ahh that's reassuring to know! :)

If you don't mind me asking, how did you register for your course; over the phone or online? I did it online and they said they will send out the application (should take 10 working days) for me to send back. Is it any faster on the phone? And do I apply to OUSBA at the same time I apply for OU because they surely ask for payment before processing and accepting your application?

Sorry for all the questions.

Not sure about OUSBA as I got financial support. Are you definitely not eligible for support?

They ask for payment on application or in my case a copy of my filled in financial support declarations
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see this thread as I have thought about OU course before as I don't really think traditional uni's would be for me (I'm nearly 20)

I just wondered if the qualification you earn is the equivilent of "traditional" degrees, and do employers view them in the same light as traditional ones?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stargirl90 wrote: »
    Interesting to see this thread as I have thought about OU course before as I don't really think traditional uni's would be for me (I'm nearly 20)

I just wondered if the qualification you earn is the equivilent of "traditional" degrees, and do employers view them in the same light as traditional ones?

I wondered about how employers viewed them but the way i see it now is not only will I have achieved my degree whilst having to manage a home and hold a full time job. I will also have 15 years work experience ready to offer an employer, something the new graduates will not have.

I think if you do an Ou named degree it is well respected as you have proved you are motivated to succeed and are damn good at time management and if you get to interview it would be a great selling tool for you.

You can get work experience at the same time as your degree.

I really respect the Ou becuase it has suceeded where many a school and teacher failed, It has made me enjoy learning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered about how employers viewed them but the way i see it now is not only will I have achieved my degree whilst having to manage a home and hold a full time job. I will also have 15 years work experience ready to offer an employer, something the new graduates will not have.

I think if you do an Ou named degree it is well respected as you have proved you are motivated to succeed and are damn good at time management and if you get to interview it would be a great selling tool for you.

You can get work experience at the same time as your degree.

I really respect the Ou becuase it has suceeded where many a school and teacher failed, It has made me enjoy learning.

Thanks for the reply. Its sounds pretty good because for me I'm not particularly interested in the partying aspect of university so to get the degree whilst still working would definately be appealing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. Its sounds pretty good because for me I'm not particularly interested in the partying aspect of university so to get the degree whilst still working would definately be appealing.

Dependant on your wage you might get to do it for free. I have not had to pay a penny towards my last two courses, so no debt either!
  • Options
    MuddyMooseMuddyMoose Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hsellors wrote: »
    Hello,

Just a general thread really, I am due to start a new course in October which is 8 months long and will require quite a lot of own study on top of working full time it's "Introducing Social Sciences".

Previously I did two short web design courses but at ten weeks long they were a lot easier to manage.

Has any one here acheived a degree with OU? How long did it take? Do people enjoy it? How did you manage your time with it? DId you gain a qualification that has helped progressed your career?

I'm getting a bit nervous now and started "planning my study" last night. Eep.

Im really glad you started this thread, im considering working and doing an Open University course. Im abit bored of my career and want some variety, i.e work two different jobs. My current job pays good, so i'll go part time and then whatever i do with Open University see what career that leads to and then do that the rest of the time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dependant on your wage you might get to do it for free. I have not had to pay a penny towards my last two courses, so no debt either!

Oh really? thats interesting. I work part time but live with 3 others who work full time. Do you know if it is household income based or my own income?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh really? thats interesting. I work part time but live with 3 others who work full time. Do you know if it is household income based or my own income?

It goes on your own wage as a single person. Even if you live with your parents and they are billionaires if you have a low wage you can get the financial support.

It is if you are living as a couple they take the household income.
  • Options
    MuddyMooseMuddyMoose Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hsellors wrote: »
    Did you do the Introducing Social Sciences course? I'm not sure if it's a compulsory part of the Psy degree but I know it can account towards one. I think after this course, if I get on OK I will either do "The Arts Past and Present" as it will gain me a Social Sciences Certificate ooor "Discovering Psychology" and go down that route. I already have an A Level in Psychology but I did that 6 years a go and can't really remember much!

I was at first aiming towards the Web Applications Certificate but the next course focuses java script and the reviews said it was very hard unless you knew about JS already. I fancied a bit more of a change, as although I enjoyed the web design ones and have got work from I have a feeling the more complicated coding elements would drag me down.

Last night I sat down and made an "evening weekday time table". Broken up by ever half an hour. Sadly I went through and put the soaps I watch and blocked out an hour each night for exercise which left me with about 2/3 free hours a night to study. I plan to read what I can in my lunch breaks and when my work goes a bit quiet and finish anything off at the weekend.

I know with my previous courses about 3/4 weeks in I start to get a bit fed up with the studying but then when it finishes I wonder what to do with my time!

It seems a few of us are starting courses in October : ) DS OU Support Network!

I think the forums are fantastic (you can always tell and the support they give you is great. My only problem is my huge lack of concentration and ability to get distracted by the smallest things so I'm going to try really really hard this time to complete everything and put my all in.

Discovering Psychology sounds good, i've always wanted to do Psychology:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It goes on your own wage as a single person. Even if you live with your parents and they are billionaires if you have a low wage you can get the financial support.

It is if you are living as a couple they take the household income.

Oh right thanks for the info!! That would be even better of course! I will go and have a proper look into it now. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I have studied six short 10-point courses with the OU (three at a time), to give me an idea of what I want to study. I have just registered for a 60-point course which starts in October. I'm eligible for financial support but I left it too late, but the website said if I paid now I can apply for the FS within six months after the start date.
  • Options
    hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have studied six short 10-point courses with the OU (three at a time), to give me an idea of what I want to study. I have just registered for a 60-point course which starts in October. I'm eligible for financial support but I left it too late, but the website said if I paid now I can apply for the FS within six months after the start date.

What course did you just register to do? :)