Options

Does Anyone Remember Vibe FM East Anglia?

fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I do

It used to be the best station ever.
I remember them playing songs like Sandstorm and PAUL VAN DYK For An Angel the most.

I am looking for station play list but cannot find any on Google.

Comments

• Options
    GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it was pretty good from what I remember when I lived in Kings Lynn. It was nice to have an alternative to normal local radio.
  • Options
    ChelmsfordDudeChelmsfordDude Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I live in Chelmsford and I remember trying to pick it up from my bedroom hi-fi. I could pick it up on that because I have a roof ariel at home, but in the car I used to get so annoyed because it kept going off and on and off! Lol :D Used to love it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Life begins at 105 and ends at 108 V.I.B.E"

106.4 used to get out everywhere.I could get it in Milton Keynes very easily.
  • Options
    marflittsmarflitts Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Radio Lion wrote: »

I'm in Lincoln, sometimes really clear. Heard it once when crossing the HUmber bridge
  • Options
    ChelmsfordDudeChelmsfordDude Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Really? It was almost dead in Chelmsford, just down the road in Basildon, nothing at all!
  • Options
    marflittsmarflitts Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Really? It was almost dead in Chelmsford, just down the road in Basildon, nothing at all!

Yeah in fact just been to look at 106.4 and getting a crackly Kiss
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Do "best radio station ever" and "Sandstorm and paul van dyk" really go together in the same paragraph?
  • Options
    RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. They do.
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i did some tv work on the norfolk / suffolk border in july 1999, and i was blown away by the music, presentation and how slick it was!

at the time, they were playing some great tracks that became hits much later, alice deejay instantly springs to mind.

also, their oldies had that WOW factor...........next up sister sledge.................not frankie, but "all american girls!"

an interesting observation ..... it was on in most shops, the hotel i stayed in, and on many car radio's.

the year after, a colleague of mine from '99 went back to the area, and said the station had got even better!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    We used to listen to it at Uni as the alternative to Broadland 102 (i think!)
  • Options
    CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It created a great buzz in the area - I visited the station not long after it opened and met Peter Fletcher (Manager) Glen White, Baz Jones, Busta Brooker and a few others. The 106.4 service from Mendlesham (20 kw) banged out a terrific signal and at least in the early days the Optimod was set quite moderately (CHR 1 IIRC). Happy days....... sigh.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Living in Bedford I was jealous, sadly could not pick up the signal that well.
    Although the music was not my 'genre', it sounded a good station. surely what the idea of regional stations were supposed to be, good music and as I recall well delivered news and information.
  • Options
    156418156418 Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Alternative to Boring Radio.
    Matt Wrighton, Stu Grant, Busta Brooker, Ceri Glen, Debbie Mac etc with the original music format put together by Paul Chantler - it hit something like 23% reach before it got "better music mixed" by GWR in 2002

Even then when it came back out of GWR control and Stu Grant was the controller they managed to get back some of the fun until it was killed off 4 years ago.
  • Options
    PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Lion wrote: »

I used to get a listenable signal in parts ok MK as well. I used to drive to Suffolk regularly to see my girlfriend at the time, must have been around 1999/2000.

They have special high gain antennas right on the top of the Mendlesham mast for 106.4, and the signal is beamed West at 20kW ERP! The signal was constant until you get near Beford. But then it comes back again West of Buckingham on the higher ground!

I remember listening to Buster Brooker, Aidey Linton, Debbie Mack, Glen White, and Just Glyn. I used to like listening to Matthew Wrighton with the big noise at night. Very good station back then, with a strange twist to their music because they were a dance station that also played Mowtown! :eek:
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Powerplay wrote: »
    I used to get a listenable signal in parts ok MK as well. I used to drive to Suffolk regularly to see my girlfriend at the time, must have been around 1999/2000.

They have special high gain antennas right on the top of the Mendlesham mast for 106.4, and the signal is beamed West at 20kW ERP! The signal was constant until you get near Beford. But then it comes back again West of Buckingham on the higher ground!

I remember listening to Buster Brooker, Aidey Linton, Debbie Mack, Glen White, and Just Glyn. I used to like listening to Matthew Wrighton with the big noise at night. Very good station back then, with a strange twist to their music because they were a dance station that also played Mowtown! :eek:

Thanks I wondered why it was heard in MK but useless in Bedford.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a poorer signal is Essex as signal is beamed West.

On the car you can get Kiss 106.4 up to Chelmsford and parts of Southend and may be some of North Kent.
  • Options
    hotguy25hotguy25 Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    living in suffolk i could get vibe and kiss 100, i usually chose kiss 100 as at the time kiss was an amazing station. i thought debbie mac and adi linton were good presenters. the used to be a show on saturday mornings which was 80's dance i think,
    i wa not a big fan of their music to be honest - i like dance music not commercial euro crap an terrible bootlegs of kylie & ludicris
  • Options
    FenboyFenboy Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I loved VIBE when it launched - playing Motown stuff as well as 80s and 90s dance stuff.
    I particularly remember the Big Noise At Night with Matt Wrighton and Mickey and Mikey the studio mice. :D

However by 1998 I was working in Bury and VIBE was on the radio all day and it drove me MENTAL!
    I was tearing my hair out having to put up with the Venga Boys 10 times a day "we like to party" and the "Vengabus" over and over and over again and the only respite was Phats and Small.
    "Hey - what's wrong with you..." seemed to be only other song they had at the time.
    All the cool old stuff had gone and the station was utter crap.

Still is now if you ask me - but then I and nearly 40 now!

My first post in about 5 years :-)
  • Options
    mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YES!!! Probably my favourite station ever..if that's not a bit geeky...

The sound to my teenage years. I was a bit too young to fully appreciate the clubbing scene and it seems that they had good tie-ins there, but I did enjoy The Big Noize at Night with Michael Lewis, Neilos's midnight mashup and many happy lazy 'revibed' Sundays in the sunshine...
    They seemed to have a good 'brand identity' and a good relationship with their audience.

I''ve moved out of the area now...and although you can listen on line etc, it's not the same. Just a clone of Kiss 100...boring with too much R+B. I think Lewis is still there doing drive time, but last time i listened it seemed very 'formulaic' - not like his late night show.

Happy days...shame it all came to an end...
  • Options
    east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mincepie wrote: »
    YES!!! Probably my favourite station ever..if that's not a bit geeky...

The sound to my teenage years. I was a bit too young to fully appreciate the clubbing scene and it seems that they had good tie-ins there, but I did enjoy The Big Noize at Night with Michael Lewis, Neilos's midnight mashup and many happy lazy 'revibed' Sundays in the sunshine...
    They seemed to have a good 'brand identity' and a good relationship with their audience.

I''ve moved out of the area now...and although you can listen on line etc, it's not the same. Just a clone of Kiss 100...boring with too much R+B. I think Lewis is still there doing drive time, but last time i listened it seemed very 'formulaic' - not like his late night show.

Happy days...shame it all came to an end...

Michael Lewis's drivetime show is very funny, there are some real laugh out loud bits - the great alternative to Radio 1 and some of the local stations too.

The breakfast show with Stu is also quite a laugh too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Massive fan of the station before the "Non Stop Vibe" era. With Paul Chantler
    in charge it could do no wrong. Pretty much spot on with the comments
    about lesser known songs by artists including "All American Girls", and Shalamar's
    "Take That To The Bank".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had a hunt around the usual sites,but cant seem to find any of the original jingles online anywhere.

Anyone able to help please ? Would be good to cast myself back to the late 90s again......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    There's a few of them on my Essex Radio "Heart Attack" blog post from last year.
    Scroll down a bit and you'll find them.
    http://blammy.blogspot.com/2009/06/essexs-heart-attack.html
  • Options
    156418156418 Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fenboy wrote: »
    I loved VIBE when it launched - playing Motown stuff as well as 80s and 90s dance stuff.

I can remember the test transmissions with all the Motown etc.