When will One Direction go away?

Comments

• shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »
    Here's the vid of Zayn's original XF audition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtORGIL4BjA

I remember watching Zayn's original audition on the XF and upon hearing him 'sing', my thought was: "He's terrible, can't sing to save his own life, let alone someone else's as well!"

I wasn't surprised when he was rejected as a soloist but I was shocked when he was recalled to form a boy band that is 1D. I put his recall down to his 'pretty boy' looks alone despite his lack of 'singing' talent. He's a very lucky guy to get where he is now indeed...all thanks to Simon Cowell.

Looks like he did get through the initial audition so they must have rejected him on the second stage.

I see Zayn as the 'mark Owen' of the band. Once it all falls apart in a couple of years I don't see him carrying on much in the public eye
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least 1D can sing!

These guys sound like they're screaming:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihdgk7zLY_U
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of them will be any good on their own
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they were big all over the world. It didn't last very long, but for a time they were hugely popular. They had two UK #1 singles in a time when it was still quite hard to achieve that.

They were probably the most popular band in the world in 1989/90.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    At least 1D can sing!

These guys sound like they're screaming:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihdgk7zLY_U

One Direction were just as bad as them, if not worse than they are when they first started out. I don't know why Cowell ignored the atrociously bad vocals of them when they were performing on the X Factor back then. I suppose Cowell must have decided to take the gamble of them possibly becoming massive and well known all around the world.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was quicker than that.

No it was not, they lasted exactly 14 years.

Anyway... I don't mind that they exist, I know that they enjoy what they do and they make teens happy so why not...

What I do absolutely hate however is the media hype surrounding them. They write stupid articles that have nothing to do with their music, the journalists are fangirling over them which is very annoying as they are no different than any other boyband that existed before them.

I mean, I read this the other day:

http://thisisverified.com/1484541

Seriously, the biggest movie ever? When you have Avatar that earned 2 billion dollars? It won't be even the best British movie since they have James Bond and Harry Potter franchises. And winning BAFTA, yeah right...:rolleyes: MAYBE it could be the biggest concert documentary, but it would be hard to beat MJ record of earning 246 million dollars with This Is It.

Besides that, I don't mind them as a boyband as they will always exist - I don't like their music at all, but they do make kids happy. Of course, overly obsessive fans are truly disturbing and they need help, just as crazy Lady Gaga and Bieber fans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    They will NEVER go away!! They are simon's favourite cash cow and will continue to be pimped out to the media. they are only relevent to teenage girls but unfortunately for the rest of the public we have to suffer their over exposure and generic music. no wonder they were booed at MTV awards cause it was full of adults not just teengae girls.
  • livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when those bellwhiffs Westlife were every where and they disappeared eventually.

Bellwhiffs?! Haha I learnt a new word. Westlife had more of a middle aged woman type fan base though didnt they?

In response to the thread title though, they'll bugger off as soon as the young kids have a new boyband to go wild for. At which point it would be best for them to take the money and run, chill out for a decade before the next generation of pop band reunions starts.... (Though I can't actually name any other current pop bands ... Are JLS still about?)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellwhiffs?! Haha I learnt a new word. Westlife had more of a middle aged woman type fan base though didnt they?

In response to the thread title though, they'll bugger off as soon as the young kids have a new boyband to go wild for. At which point it would be best for them to take the money and run, chill out for a decade before the next generation of pop band reunions starts.... (Though I can't actually name any other current pop bands ... Are JLS still about?)

Yeah, once One Direction start losing their fans rapidly, their revenue will then start decreasing. I can't see this happening for years yet though. Cowell must be loving them at the minute though. They'll be making him a fortune!
  • hannah1991hannah1991 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I`ll always be a little shocked that something as inoffensive as a boyband can get people`s backs up quite so much. A few observations from this thread that I would like to offer my opinions on: firstly, I am almost certain that Harry Styles is gay and in a relationship with Louis Tomlinson. The video series pointed out on the first page is a good start if anyone is particularly interested in looking into it, and you`d be surprised at the level of intelligence amongst the fans who offer arguments as to why they also believe this. For a homoerotic band such as this, they are marketed to a homophobic audience. Secondly, comparisons to bands like NKOTB and NSync are fruitless as One Direction are no longer a band but a bRand. The products they endorse are almost more important then their music, which is a shame because its simple catchy pop. Thirdly, the big push of products in the past few months leads me to believe they may be in the early stages of planning a hiatus, perhaps after their stadium tour. I would also like to question why fans of One Direction and Justin Bieber are called crazy for being overzealous when Sports fans are merely passionate individuals?? Could there be some sexism here?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hannah1991 wrote: »
    I`ll always be a little shocked that something as inoffensive as a boyband can get people`s backs up quite so much. A few observations from this thread that I would like to offer my opinions on: firstly, I am almost certain that Harry Styles is gay and in a relationship with Louis Tomlinson. The video series pointed out on the first page is a good start if anyone is particularly interested in looking into it, and you`d be surprised at the level of intelligence amongst the fans who offer arguments as to why they also believe this. For a homoerotic band such as this, they are marketed to a homophobic audience. Secondly, comparisons to bands like NKOTB and NSync are fruitless as One Direction are no longer a band but a bRand. The products they endorse are almost more important then their music, which is a shame because its simple catchy pop. Thirdly, the big push of products in the past few months leads me to believe they may be in the early stages of planning a hiatus, perhaps after their stadium tour. I would also like to question why fans of One Direction and Justin Bieber are called crazy for being overzealous when Sports fans are merely passionate individuals?? Could there be some sexism here?

You're right I'm always surprised at the level of intelligence of some of the fans who believe this absolute crap. Honestly, your conspiracy theory is embarrassing, and it's obvious the guys loathe these 'larry shippers'. I don't even know what to say when I encounter actual adults who pull apart every aspect of their behaviour to find the bits that fit with this strange fantasy relationship they like to imagine. Weird isn't the word.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:confused::confused::confused:

The comparison with NKOTB and NSYNC was simply to show that they are not the first band to have caused mass levels of hysteria.

Your point about their fans - a lot of their fans are very young and incredibly immature and simply will not accept that they are anything except perfect. The average sports fan has a level of sensibility that isn't bordreing on the insane (and I'm saying this as a non sports fan).
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    They're extremely successful right now. They've got a few more years in them minimum imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2-3 years max until one of them does a Robbie Williams :)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I would also like to question why fans of One Direction and Justin Bieber are called crazy for being overzealous when Sports fans are merely passionate individuals?? Could there be some sexism here?

Yeah, see I would class SOME 1D/Bieber fans AND sports fans as overzealous and in some extreme cases borderline psychotic. Not all but definitely a very vocal crowd though. There's no denying that.
  • alexjr2alexjr2 Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Don't blame the boys, blame the media and their management.

I am a big fan of the guys, but even I am now beginning to wonder if they have become over exposed.

And has for their movie, why is it at the cinema? It is a big con and a rip-off. It should be on TV free for all their fans to see.
    :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexjr2 wrote: »
    Don't blame the boys, blame the media and their management.

I am a big fan of the guys, but even I am now beginning to wonder if they have become over exposed.

And has for their movie, why is it at the cinema? It is a big con and a rip-off. It should be on TV free for all their fans to see.
    :mad:

why should it be free. Plenty of people are willing to pay to go see it. The One Direction juggernaut will carry on as long as there is demand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I don't it will be anytime soon. They're making a fortune, so they'd be incredibly stupid to just give it up now. I think they'll probably give it up when sales start going down rapidly. This might happen when they reach their thirties, unless their fans stay loyal and supportive to them.

Into their 30s? Another 10+ years? That's way too generous. Boybands have a pretty short shelf life. One Direction will be no exception, especially if you add in the fact that none of them are actually musically talented. They are just a tween fad. Just look at JB.
  • tommytigertommytiger Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    When their fans reach puberty, it's an amazing thing, you suddenly like men.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the One Directioners and Beliebers are going through...lol, it ain't new.

We've all been there and done it in our own ways. The 'neediness' to be part of a scene or group at one or other time/s in our lives, to exist within the world they create and feel 'wanted' and 'special'.

I saw a gif of Harry hugging a fan and her saying 'you're the only thing that keeps me going' and he went 'why, what's wrong with the other things?'. I don't even think half these girls know. They drum themselves into depression about their looks, friendships, wants and dreams and only the 'boys' can rescue them.

When in actual fact, you don't need any boyband or person to rescue you, it comes from inside. Sure, you can be inspired, but really, you do grow out of this neediness. These people cannot save you or take you into their real worlds.

Whilst at times Harry's encouraging fans to be individuals, they don't really listen I don't think. And bitterly ironic, he's a voice fighting against the whole concept of One Direction - which is basically to build an army of record-buying, same-thinking clones. Every clique on the planet has always been about this. It's just sad so few of the fans realise it imo. :cry:
  • popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breege1 wrote: »
    Into their 30s? Another 10+ years? That's way too generous. Boybands have a pretty short shelf life. One Direction will be no exception, especially if you add in the fact that none of them are actually musically talented. They are just a tween fad. Just look at JB.

How many people would have said that of Take That in the early 1990's and yet in 2013 they are one of the biggest acts in the UK.

If One Direction play this right they can follow Take That and have good breaks, try solo careers and come back and the fans will still want to see them. Fans do grow up but it won't necessary mean they won't stop being fans

Unlike Take That I don't think there are any major clashes within the group and no person is a stand out talent that harbours ambitions of a solo career. They seem quite grounded and close friends so no reason why they cannot maintain a long career keeping one direction going on and off but having the scope to do their things.
    Forum Member
    How many people would have said that of Take That in the early 1990's and yet in 2013 they are one of the biggest acts in the UK.

If One Direction play this right they can follow Take That and have good breaks, try solo careers and come back and the fans will still want to see them. Fans do grow up but it won't necessary mean they won't stop being fans

Unlike Take That I don't think there are any major clashes within the group and no person is a stand out talent that harbours ambitions of a solo career. They seem quite grounded and close friends so no reason why they cannot maintain a long career keeping one direction going on and off but having the scope to do their things.

Clever marketing and the fact Gary Barlow has actual talent.

1D have their songs written for them, are a reject from X Factor that got lucky.

The only comparison is they are male.

Don't cum stain thinking 1D are the best ever, they aren't even the best boyband.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But Take That have always had a massive advantage due to Gary Barlow's song writing ability. The quality of Take That's back catalogue compared to 1D's is obvious to all but the most rabid of 1D fans. There are NO natural, talented songwriters in 1D otherwise we'd have heard about them by now. I have no doubt that a couple of them will have some basic musical ability that will currently be being nurtured frantically, but I will literally eat my hat if any of 1D manage to come up with anything anywhere near as good as a Million Love Songs, Pray, Never Forget or Back For Good.

In ten years time or so, when 1D might want to make a comeback, there will be no mega hot songwriters falling over themselves to write music for them. There will be new, current, younger acts who will always get priority. 1D are that act now, which is why they're being worked so hard.

And I'm sorry, but it's pretty clear to me that Harry IS the stand out member, and the main reason they're so hysterically popular as they currently are is because he's in the group. The day he goes solo, it's game over for the rest of them on the level that they're currently performing at. And I think they know it as well.
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    But Take That have always had a massive advantage due to Gary Barlow's song writing ability. The quality of Take That's back catalogue compared to 1D's is obvious to all but the most rabid of 1D fans. There are NO natural, talented songwriters in 1D otherwise we'd have heard about them by now. I have no doubt that a couple of them will have some basic musical ability that will currently be being nurtured frantically, but I will literally eat my hat if any of 1D manage to come up with anything anywhere near as good as a Million Love Songs, Pray, Never Forget or Back For Good.

In ten years time or so, when 1D might want to make a comeback, there will be no mega hot songwriters falling over themselves to write music for them. There will be new, current, younger acts who will always get priority. 1D are that act now, which is why they're being worked so hard.

And I'm sorry, but it's pretty clear to me that Harry IS the stand out member, and the main reason they're so hysterically popular as they currently are is because he's in the group. The day he goes solo, it's game over for the rest of them on the level that they're currently performing at. And I think they know it as well.

We all thought Gary Barlow was a boring bastard in the 90s, but the laugh is on us. He's amazing.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The band HAVE to stay together, despite the obvious cynical PR emphasis on certain members as being more talented or frontsmen types. That's in the contract. Someone well planned for just this 'solo' event and my guess is someone older, wearing a suit and or owning a set of moobs. Clever.

As nice as they seem, I personally don't think m/any of them have anything to offer the world anything that hasn't been done to death by other individuals already (Bruno Mars, LMFAO, Macklemore, Robbie, Olly Murs, etc, etc). Do we need five more pretenders? Idk....:cool:

Louis would make a great little actor, Harry seems interested in photography and golf, Liam is hard to place and Zayn would make a great model. Niall's the only one I can see with any nitty-gritty songwriting ability that could carry him as a writer for others. Harry's got purported indie-collabs but honestly, they come and go and it's all been done before.

I think these are the glory days of the real 'interest' in them and they probably know that.

Edit: it does sound as if a few of them (Liam, Louis) are writing more stuff on their new album so there might be some surprises. I just think it's hard to really make it in this business with anything fresh and eyecatching these days that's not formulaic. I can't see all five of them setting the world alight individually.