Options

Forum design feedback

Comments

• Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, I'm sorry, but do NOT mess with the smileys! I loved those guys!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They Left That Rolling Eyed ****er!
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    From my experience these feedback threads are rarely listened to
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    At least :rolleyes: is still here.

Trust that sarcastic bugger to still show his face!

I miss the green one, that was my favourite!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

Thanks very much for the feedback so far, and keep it coming. There are (and will continually be) too many posts for us to individually reply to each one so for now I'll just address a few key issues.

1) Using the desktop skin on mobiles/tablets
    We'll take a look into the issues with scrolling and being able to view the full width of the page.

For now please use our mobile version of the forums.

2) Navigating the forums
    Some users aren't seeing the 'Home > Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Forum design feedback' bit at the top that is used to navigate back to the forum listings.

We'll look into this as a matter of urgency in the morning

2) Design looking different to other users
    Unfortunately some users are still seeing an old version of the HTML used to render the page. This will cause the forums to look malformed for a while until the cache on both your browser and our servers update. Hopefully this will have happened by the morning, but to get it sooner click here.

With such a large, busy, forum, it is hard to please everyone. Our old design had barely changed since the early 2000s and was showing its age. We believe, with a few tweaks, that we'll have a much better forum and we hope with time that it'll win you all over.

Saying that, there has been some valuable feedback posted here and we'll look into it all starting tomorrow morning.

For now....new smilies! :D
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the new smileys either. :o

That was supposed to be an embarrassed smiley btw. :confused:
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    with the new smilies, the blurred icons. the morbindly obese bar at t he top....i am remembering with fondness the level of shit it was a few hours ago....who knew it could get shitter?
    how shit can it get?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulLFC wrote: »
    I shall improve the design I'm working on and post it again, unless I get banned and then well, if they're really that attached to their new design that they ban members for making it readable then so be it :D
    Cheers, I have made a note of your use name to search for tomorrow. Assuming the search facility isn't ****ed up.
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    I've seen some incompetent IT crap in my time but this is quite special.

Pretty much sums it up.
    If
    you
    this
    people
    can
    read
    it
    all
    you
    just
    need
    to
    get
    used
    to
    doing
    it
    and
    who
    are
    these
    new
    imposter
    smileys?
    is
    there
    an
    influx
    of
    ten
    year
    olds
    expected ?
  • Options
    gaz141gaz141 Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably someone has mentioned this earlier (there is no way I could possibly read the 70 odd pages of these abrasive and eye watering painful colours) but can you imagine trying to keep up with a fast moving forum like the X-Factor. My eyes would be streaming and I'd have such a headache trying to keep up
  • Options
    DeanparkrDeanparkr Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    I have no problem with change - apart from the header at the top being absolutely massive! :D

My thoughts as well about the header.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

Thanks very much for the feedback so far, and keep it coming. There are (and will continually be) too many posts for us to individually reply to each one so for now I'll just address a few key issues.

We'll take a look into the issues with scrolling and being able to view the full width of the page.

2) Navigating the forums
    Some users aren't seeing the 'Home > Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Forum design feedback' bit at the top that is used to navigate back to the forum listings.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but this appears to only affect mobile browsers and those using Safari with adblock enabled?

Use our mobile style on mobiles/tablets or try disabling adblock until we've sorted out the issue.

3) Design looking different to other users
    Unfortunately some users are still seeing an old version of the HTML used to render the page. This will cause the forums to look malformed for a while until the cache on both your browser and our servers update. Hopefully this will have happened by the morning, but to get it sooner click here.

With such a large, busy, forum, it is hard to please everyone. Our old design had barely changed since the early 2000s and was showing its age. We believe, with a few tweaks, that we'll have a much better forum and we hope with time that it'll win you all over.

Saying that, there has been some valuable feedback posted here and we'll look into it all starting tomorrow morning.

Can you please, please change back the 'unread posts' image next to the thread titles to the 'clean looking' circles. These ones you've put in now makes the design look pants and clunky.

At least the circles fitted in with the current design.

Also, yes, I'm using Safari with AdBlock and cannot see the breadcrumbs. I think Chrome users are having the problem too.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    At least :rolleyes: is still here.

The one smilie all users profess to hate remains :rolleyes:

WTF is this ----> :love:

That will never be used on DS!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Oh no, now they've even finished all the dear old smileys off!

Digital Spy, right now I hate this site and everything about it. After 7 years and over 30, 000 posts it's come to this. (And I'll never use those stupid new smileys).

IT IS CRAP of the highest order!!!!!
  • Options
    GoingtothebeachGoingtothebeach Posts: 19,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Have just received an email in reply to my email to DS. They say they're working on it......

I replied, only to find that the guy in question is on leave now.....you couldn't make it up, could you? :D

:rolleyes:

I have to use :rolleyes: because it's all I have left.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

2) Navigating the forums

Please correct me if I'm wrong but this appears to only affect mobile browsers and those using Safari with adblock enabled?

Use our mobile style on mobiles/tablets or try disabling adblock until we've sorted out the issue.

3) Design looking different to other users

I'm using Chrome.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear god this is dreadful. Its like a teacher set up a dummy site to show student web developers what not to do when designing a site redesign. What I can see immediately (and without delving too deeply);

1. Horrid mishmash of old and new. DO NOT LAUNCH A NEW SITE DESIGN UNTIL IT IS COMPLETE MORONS!

2. Boxes with black backgrounds and dark grey text. Do you have a specific reason why you don't want me to read this information?

3. Header with a strangely pointless amount of unnecessary white space. Is there some reason you think this blank nothingness is more important than the actual content?

4. Odd text alignment issues. What's with the post number being directly in contact with the edge of the post header? It looks like the site is broken.

5. Mismatched fonts. Why are the post fonts different to the font we type in the reply box? Moreso, why is the font in the reply box the one from MS-DOS 6?

I could go on indefinitely. Whomever ok'd this live switchover should be pulled up on a disciplinary. This is shockingly amateur. I've seen amateur websites do a better job than this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is he high blood pressure smiley?

Ay up, you changed him from red. So you don't know what they all mean either? (insert smiley because I can't)
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's completely unusable on my tablet. It cuts off the right hand side of the screen. :rolleyes:

The screen resolution of my tablet is 1280 x 768.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    forums.

2) Navigating the forums

NO its happening on laptops on chrome firefox safari whether you use adblock or not or haven't you bothered to read the 2000 odd posts saying this????
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huge Flaw ... using blocks of #ffffff background ... it's a VERY poor choice
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the top where it says,

Home >Forums>TV>Shows> how can I....

Where has that feature gone, sometimes I forget what section of the thread i'm on, please can we have that back,

Anyone agree,

http://xkcdsw.com/dump/20110706-ds-sshot.png
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    acker wrote: »
    Pretty much sums it up.
    If
    you
    this
    people
    can
    read
    it
    all
    you
    just
    need
    to
    get
    used
    to
    doing
    it
    and
    who
    are
    these
    new
    imposter
    smileys?
    is
    there
    an
    influx
    of
    ten
    year
    olds
    expected ?
    :D:D
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ignore!

actually, i will say something - the smilies are shite!
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Please can we have the old smilies?! That's a simple fix.
This discussion has been closed.