Leona Lewis starts work on fourth album due for release this year

Comments

• AmazingAmazing Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glassheart underperforming has scared the people in charge at her label. They've realised now that she can't be away for 3 years and bounce back ruling the charts. This album is going to be make or break for her, but I fear it's too late. For the six years she has been on the scene, she should have been building up a fanbase by touring. Two tours in 6/7 years is pathetic.

I agree. Leona has to take responsiblity for her fall from grace. It's arrogance to give so little back to her fanbase and expect them to buy her music when she eventually got round to releasing it. She should have done far more live gigs in the UK instead of concentrating on lining her pockets with corporate gigs abroad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Hate to say this as a fan but the new album has to be a big commercial success.
    Otherwise Syco are bound to let her go, and with then two albums not selling it like be pretty hard for her to find a new label.
    She has to deliver songs that are going to get played on the radio otherwise it is all over.
    The problem is what songwriters are now going to write for her knowing they potentially are not going to get radio play. Leona has all been snubbed by radio and all her singles in recent years have entered the charts and fallen very quickly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I say, a Winter-themed album if they insist on releasing a new album this year.

Or a 'Best of' with newly added material.
  • flyonthetableflyonthetable Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    She has to leave Syco.
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    As I say, a Winter-themed album if they insist on releasing a new album this year.

Or a 'Best of' with newly added material.

Both awful ideas, no offense.

A Best of would be pointless seeing as she's only released 3 albums and only has 3 and a half hit singles to go on it.

Kate Bush is Kate Bush and only she can get away with releasing an album like 50 Words for Snow. Leona is a commercial Top 40 Pop singer, getting another album out for the end of the year is the best thing at the moment. No point hiding her away for another 3 years. I'm glad it seems to label are taking control. She's not a in a position to create some deeply artistic album until she's able to maintain some momentum and have a string of successful albums/singles.
  • ButterfliesButterflies Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has to leave Syco.

Pretty much this, I hardly saw any promotion from the Glassheart era and I could not name you another song bar Trouble that was commercially released as a single without Googling the answer.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much this, I hardly saw any promotion from the Glassheart era and I could not name you another song bar Trouble that was commercially released as a single without Googling the answer.

Isn't promotion down to the management team? She has left them, so maybe things will improve.
  • ButterfliesButterflies Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Isn't promotion down to the management team? She has left them, so maybe things will improve.

Well, I'd imagine both Syco and her management would have a say in her promotion considering Syco would want a return for their investment. Leona has a lot of talent, and like you said, I hope things really improve for her as she has the voice but she needs better material.
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surrey13 wrote: »
    Hate to say this as a fan but the new album has to be a big commercial success.
    Otherwise Syco are bound to let her go, and with then two albums not selling it like be pretty hard for her to find a new label.
    She has to deliver songs that are going to get played on the radio otherwise it is all over.
    The problem is what songwriters are now going to write for her knowing they potentially are not going to get radio play. Leona has all been snubbed by radio and all her singles in recent years have entered the charts and fallen very quickly.
    Agree- especially as she's never been a prolific tourer:cool:..she's not known for her great live concerts so her albums have to sell well or there's not enough money coming in. She'll find her well paid private gigs will dry up too if her success continues to wane.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I'd imagine both Syco and her management would have a say in her promotion considering Syco would want a return for their investment. Leona has a lot of talent, and like you said, I hope things really improve for her as she has the voice but she needs better material.

I really have no idea, but Syco have dumped Modest Management from the X Factor contract, so perhaps they were unhappy with the promo they were getting their acts.
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She could put some of her unreleased songs on the album she has some really amazing songs that never made the albums "hero" and "stay" are my favourites.

Leona really needs to release a upbeat song as her first single since this is what people are buying/ listening to and the most people I hear that don't like Leona's music will say she's boring because she just sings ballads. I think she needs to release another catchy/upbeat single. Glassheart should've been the single or Sugar . Anyway she needs a song like those then to put on a great performance on X Factor but still keep ballads on her album. Leona really needs to do more tours she's only done 2 (apart from x factor tour).
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately whilst Leona appears to be well liked by people her career so far is hardly the huge success Syco implies with there bold statements of i.e.. worldwide superstar etc.
    most people have already pointed out numerous reasons why her career slumped so quickly and it's the accumulation of all these factors together.
    Her lack of identity of what genre of music has really affected her sales with no clear direction in her career. Her own persona also hinders this as she appears to be a lovely person but she doesn't really stand out personality wise but instead is just likeable. Having a record label that just because the first single release doesn't get to number one they appear to give up on the album with no promotion or longevity in supporting the album has really damaged her image. The record company initially got it right with Spirit but immediately they then just appeared to make mistake after mistake with releases and promotion. Releasing spirit deluxe edition was there first big error, they had it in the bag with her rendition of run which should have been the lead single of her second album but instead they wanted to cash in quickly so re-release Spirit with a few extra tracks. The two year wait for Echo and the just using X Factor as the promotional tool for every release again let her down. Echo as well was really just an ok album with no really big stand out songs but basically was like a filler album which was over reliant on one mediocre single happy. But her final nail in the coffin was the debacle of Glassheart, three years of delays rewrites, changing direction of genre from dance to ballad to the point were in fact people just lost interest. How they expected people to want to buy an album which they themselves were unhappy with and kept rescheduling showed the record company had reservations about the album. It just became a debacle with Leona popping up making announcements in her website about release dates and how this was her best album yet only to find out a week later it was prosponed and she was back in the studio. The album artwork was enough on its own to put you off buying the album.
    Unless something really big changes I really can't see her recovering her career by rushing to release another album so quickly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both awful ideas, no offense.

A Best of would be pointless seeing as she's only released 3 albums and only has 3 and a half hit singles to go on it.

You think Leona has had three and a half hit singles? Oh dear.

I'm suggesting a 'Best of' not a Greatest Hits. And it's what I think might happen in a 'contractual obligation' type thing rather than what I'd personally like.

A Best Of Leona Lewis would just include her 8 top ten hits - 9 if you included the lead song from an EP, plus possibly The First Time Ever I saw Your Face (which she sang on the X Factor. That would leave some room for a handful of new songs.

It's a Winter album I'd personally like to hear - something dark and ballady.
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm suggesting a 'Best of' not a Greatest Hits. And it's what I think might happen in a 'contractual obligation' type thing rather than what I'd personally like.

A Best Of Leona Lewis would just include her 8 top ten hits - 9 if you included the lead song from an EP, plus possibly The First Time Ever I saw Your Face (which she sang on the X Factor. That would leave some room for a handful of new songs.

To release a best of album would be career suicide she hasn't had either the quantity or quality of decent releases. Which is something most people have commented on about poor choice of single releases so to bundle these together in a package with a few added new tracks would possibly ensure a trip to the 99p store which is where the album would end up. I don't even think if she released some thing like that it would make he top 100 in the album sales.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree a Best of album would be terrible but a Christmas album is an excellent idea as Leona is a ballad singer and people expect ballads on a Christmas album. Also artists like Mariah Carey and Xtina released Christmas albums. I think that is definitely her best career move. It will also help bring back the older fans who I think have lost interest in her after she was apparently releasing "Dubstep" music.

They could also write an original xmas song for Leona to release as the lead single.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    I agree a Best of album would be terrible but a Christmas album is an excellent idea as Leona is a ballad singer and people expect ballads on a Christmas album. Also artists like Mariah Carey and Xtina released Christmas albums. I think that is definitely her best career move. It will also help bring back the older fans who I think have lost interest in her after she was apparently releasing "Dubstep" music.

They could also write an original xmas song for Leona to release as the lead single.

Who buy's Christmas album's these days with the exception of Buble. Leona's will just be filled with dull covers and will do worse than Glassheart.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HandsClean wrote: »
    Who buy's Christmas album's these days with the exception of Buble. Leona's will just be filled with dull covers and will do worse than Glassheart.

But xmas album is something fans and casual fans would expect from Leona. Also people will love to hear Leona's voice cover well known Xmas songs. I think it's a really good idea. Just because not many big artists have done it recently, doesn't mean it's not a good idea. It worked out well for both Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera. It's a good way to raise interest in her again.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say she has no personality, she's just nice. That's not a bad thing. But certain sections of her appreciation thread love to talk about her being "fierce" like she's Beyonce. They want songs that Rihanna would put out. And the public just don't buy the whole "fierce" angle with Leona nor any music that may go with it. Leona may have a bigger vocal range than Rihanna but she'll always lose if she tries to play her at her own game.

An album this year would be good. Really what she needs is a hit single. Having put no money in Syco's coffers for quite some time now, she needs to get a hit under her belt that will give momentum going into the album release. And then she needs to sell some albums early on to pay for some further promotion. I said repeatedly that there would be no third single (and only a half arsed second one) because there is not an endless well of money. Hopefully they can go into album 4 without any flop "buzz singles" like Collide, with a clear idea of what they want to do and a far shorter recording period (most likely with fewer trips to the US!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bleeding Love, Better In Time and Run are her only hit singles, let's be honest. Happy's half a hit since it sold over 200,000. The rest of her singles have bombed out the top 40 very quickly. This is coming from a massive fan aswell. A Best of wouldn't be taken seriously by anyone at this stage in her career. They just need to carry on as they are, releasing a new lp is the best decision by far. She needs one hit single and she'll be fine again, it's as simple as that.

Anyway, according to James Ingham of The Sun, she's apparently going to sign with one of the world's biggest management companies. Glad their steam rolling ahead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bleeding Love, Better In Time and Run are her only hit singles, let's be honest. Happy's half a hit since it sold over 200,000. The rest of her singles have bombed out the top 40 very quickly. This is coming from a massive fan aswell. A Best of wouldn't be taken seriously by anyone at this stage in her career.

What about A Moment Like This? You can't really say Better In Time was a hit and Happy was only half a hit in the UK, they sold almost exactly the same and had the same airplay too. Also when was the last time you saw a song advertised as the '400k selling hit'? It's always the position they use. A top 10 is considered a hit to most people, a member of the public doesn't know or care about the exact sales figures. A top 10 is enough for inclusion on most artists greatest hits. She needs to release another couple of albums before any greatest hits compilations are organised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about A Moment Like This? You can't really say Better In Time was a hit and Happy was only half a hit in the UK, they sold almost exactly the same and had the same airplay too. Also when was the last time you saw a song advertised as the '400k selling hit'? It's always the position they use. A top 10 is considered a hit to most people, a member of the public doesn't know or care about the exact sales figures. A top 10 is enough for inclusion on most artists greatest hits. She needs to release another couple of albums before any greatest hits compilations are organised.

A Moment Like This is a winner's single, doesn't really count in my opinion. Happy sold 220,000, Better In Time sold 270,000 and hung around alot longer than Happy.

You're right in some respects since # of Top 10's is always included when an artist is promoted and they'd all be included on a GH. But I doubt many of the general public even remember Forgive Me, I Got You, Lovebird, Collide and Hurt since all of them hung around for about 4 weeks. I agree though, it's awhile before anyone at Syco should be thinking about a best of collection from Leona Lewis. She needs more hits first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is Leona just vanishes when not promoting an album,

Jessie J and all the rest go on chat shows/ game shows

Why cant Leona ?
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the point of another album, seriously ?

She had a cast iron glorious smash hit on Glassheart that had music sites around the web raving and she releases the lamest tracks she can find as singles instead.

Its completely pointless recording a new album because she has no commercial sense whatsoever to make a success of it.
  • Imperfect AngelImperfect Angel Posts: 3,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At this moment in time, I don't think there is a single thing she could do that would make her relevant again. People are over her and just don't care which is crazy considering 5 years ago she was one of the most famous faces in the industry. But her music isn't connecting.

She should go away for 5 years, get married, have a few babies and then try again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Leona's music

But she had her chance... she should have had GH as lead single