Options

ATTENTION IDIOTIC DRIVERS: Be LESS idiotic!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Right, so I've clearly had a stressful and surprisingly, also an emotional day on the roads today!

I'm staggered as to how dangerous, selfish and damn right idiotic UK drivers can be!

My mantra during inclement weather is just to slow everything down a bit.

Today, I spent 3.5hrs driving from Reading to South London for a 2hr meeting, then a 4hr drive back to Reading - the drive should normally take 1.5hrs, yet on both journeys, I passed several accidents, had to dodge dumb-ass driving and what I can only describe as unnecessarily obnoxious aggression on the roads - I arrived home today quite upset and the apparent disregard for human decency and safety really has put me on a downer.

The torrential rain today showed me that a LOT of people just shouldn't be trusted behind the wheel of a vehicle! Just too much aggression, just too much urgency to get to places with so much disregard for their own and other peoples safety!

In many ways, I welcome the introduction of fully automated vehicles!

Comments

• Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I was on that route today, 2.5 hrs back this evening from Central London....two cars broken down on the elevated section of the m4 didn't help!

There were lots of people driving in dull conditions with lots of spray and no lights on.

I luckily didn't see an accident but on the way in this morning saw I one person drive across the hatching just so they could get off at the last minute to the m25 and avoid the massive queue. They were within inches of hitting the barrier or the car that was already in the lane it wanted to get into!
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    9.5 hours of driving in shit weather for a 2 hour meeting.
    How productive is that?
    No wonder you're "emotional".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9.5 hours of driving in shit weather for a 2 hour meeting.
    How productive is that?
    No wonder you're "emotional".

Well quite. I have the option of the train, which door-to-door is about 2hrs, or driving which, on a good day, takes 1.5hrs.

The emotional bit was quite surprising and usual because I'm usually quite tough-skinned. It's the complete disregard for safety that got me today - the fact that so many drivers did so many idiotic things that put themselves and me at unnecessary risk today is what I found so draining! Come on, y'all, is it REALLY worth it?!?!
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Right, so I've clearly had a stressful and surprisingly, also an emotional day on the roads today!

I'm staggered as to how dangerous, selfish and damn right idiotic UK drivers can be!

Today, I spent 3.5hrs driving from Reading to South London for a 2hr meeting, then a 4hr drive back to Reading - the drive should normally take 1.5hrs, yet on both journeys, I passed several accidents, had to dodge dumb-ass driving and what I can only describe as unnecessarily obnoxious aggression on the roads - I arrived home today quite upset and the apparent disregard for human decency and safety really has put me on a downer.

The torrential rain today showed me that a LOT of people just shouldn't be trusted behind the wheel of a vehicle! Just too much aggression, just too much urgency to get to places with so much disregard for their own and other peoples safety!

...and they say it's grim up north. That's a ridiculous time for that distance.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    ...and they say it's grim up north. That's a ridiculous time for that distance.

Its the new government EU directive action on the longevity gap.
    People in the south live longer so they are made to queue in traffic for longer to even it up.
    It all works out in the end. :)
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to most people's daily commute to work and back.

When I passed my test 10 years ago I'd encounter someone doing something really stupid maybe once a month or a couple of months. Recently it's several times a week, sometimes daily.

I try to leave 30 mins earlier in the mornings now just to avoid the busier traffic and most of the idiots that do stupid things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I drive to the north west every week, which is a 400 mile round trip and takes me about 3 hours each way on a good day. The motorway network around there in terms of the M60, M62, M6 is crap and makes the M25 look like it's a peaceful country lane at times.

I see loads of crap driving all the time and have some great moments that I recorded from my dash cam. It's just something that you get used to and after a while you get quite desensitised to it all.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I have to say their were some morons out yesterday. I get the feeling people don't know what stopping distances are any more and don't realise they need to double that in wet weather. I had someone about 2 metres from the rear of my car on my way home yesterday. If I had to stop suddenly they would not have a chance in the rain or at the speed.

As for the M4 the bit around Reading it always pisses me off because there are so many middle-lane drivers between J10 and J11 who plod along at 60mph when they could be in the left lane but for some reason they see the middle lane as the lane they want and they refuse to move over meaning I have to go from the left all the way over to the right to get past the person in front of me in the left and them as well >:(
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a D!ckhead White Van Man driving up my arse yesterday and not bothering to indicate when nessessary (my pet peeve). Got to a junction, I indicate to turn right, he's behind me - not indicating (even though you can only go left or right, I see him trying to edge over to the left, the road isn't wide enough for him to get past me to go left, so he decides to try drivng up the pavement to get level with me at the junction, unfortunately for him he couldn't get through as the pavement wasn't wide enough, so he's stuck there. I decide to spend a bit longer at the junction deciding wether it's safe to turn right (there wasn't anyone else behind me). I know I shouldn't but the guy must've been a complete C@nt.
    On indicating I have noticed it's become a complete non-action with a lot of drivers. What the heck is this all about? It really, really p!sses me off.
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning on the M3 I was driving along the 'slow' lane at 65mph coming up to the slip lane where the next set of drivers join the motorway.

One Audi driver proceeded to speed up on that slipway so as to be driving by the side of me. I would have pulled into the middle lane to avoid him but that middle lane was chocka with other cars so I couldn't do so.

The Audi driver didn't care and started gesticulating at me with his middle finger to pull into the middle lane. The idiot could clearly see that I couldn't but he didn't care.
    He eventually had no choice put to pull into the inside lane behind me, where he started honking his horn, flashing his lights and screaming abuse at me.
    He eventually overtook me, pulled to the side of my car and went absolutely mental - his face was red with rage and he was was screaming his head off at me.
    I just held my arms up asking what the hell I had done wrong. He then sped off into the fast lane and I then saw him gesticulating to the car in front of him to get out of the way!

5 minutes later I came off the M3 and stopped at traffic lights - I then saw the Audi idiot 3 cars ahead. So, losing his temper and driving like an idiot really got him to work quicker then.....NOT.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Near the University of Leeds just this very morning I saw a man driving a car eating a large pasty with one hand and making a phone call with the other. Admittedly traffic was very slow at the time but I still though it was idiotic
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An injunction to not be idiotic would be preferable to one to be less so, surely?
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw a driver this morning brushing his teeth behind the wheel....
  • Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »

There is this amazing thing called a 'Train' heard there are quite a few from Reading to London! lol :D
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid that I've given up on expecting idiots to be less idiotic, and have had to settle for being happy if they can be idiotic somewhere else.

My personal favourite is HGV drivers who start to pull out just as I draw level with the back of their cab and then indicate.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    El Guapo wrote: »
    There is this amazing thing called a 'Train' heard there are quite a few from Reading to London! lol :D

Depends which part of Reading and which part of London as to whether that would be quicker, easier, or cheaper in normal conditions.
    An injunction to not be idiotic would be preferable to one to be less so, surely?

The longest journey starts with a single step.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    El Guapo wrote: »

Ha, yes there is! Door-to-door, it's usually quicker by car, but I do use the train sometimes....in fact, I'm on the train this afternoon to North London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought I'd go for something that's more achievable.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I drive to the north west every week, which is a 400 mile round trip and takes me about 3 hours each way on a good day. The motorway network around there in terms of the M60, M62, M6 is crap and makes the M25 look like it's a peaceful country lane at times.

I see loads of crap driving all the time and have some great moments that I recorded from my dash cam. It's just something that you get used to and after a while you get quite desensitised to it all.

Thats some going to do 200 miles in 3hrs, thats an average speed of nearly 70 all the way.