Options

kids company is to close

johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33641889

fairly strange after they just received a £3 million grant.

Comments

• Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the distinct impression that a massive can of worms is about to be opened.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    like most of these so called "charities" theyre nothing of the sort

theyre run for the people that work for them

and that says it all

who gets paid to work for charity???

isnt that what charity is?

and 90000 for the CEO?

total joke
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    More taxpayers' money flushed down the drain - on ministerial instruction.
  • Options
    Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    I get the distinct impression that a massive can of worms is about to be opened.

Wasn't there something to do with Child Abuse and the Charity last week or the week before
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Any interesting connections between Letwin and Batmanghelidjh, given that he called for funding twice?
    At one point one of the charity’s supporters is said to have met Tim Loughton, the then children’s minister, lobbying for the new grant effectively threatening critical headlines if the cash was not agreed.

“Before we could do anything we saw a copy of the ‘Dear David’ letter which she had already sent to Number 10,” the source added.

“Literally it was a ‘Dear David’ letter sent before she had had actually approached us about the grant.

“She had already been to the top and because David was rather in awe of her then the missive came from Number 10 saying pay it.”

He added: “David Cameron was always deeply involved with Kids Company before and was always in awe of Camila Batmanghelidjh so I very much doubt that anything could have happened this time without him being party to it.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11717503/David-Cameron-overruled-officials-to-order-Kids-Company-grant.html
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there is something off there, might not be the government at fault, however if there was advice not to, then that is a worry. Lets face it however out sourcing contracts are rewarded without considering the full facts.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    This all seems odd.

Ministers overruled officials and approved a £3m grant to fund downsizing and transformation work - which was actually used over the weekend to fund salary costs which it was not supposed to be used for. So presumably if they had used the funds to pay redundancy, cut costs or hire consultants to transform them that was fine but they weren't allowed to fund the wages of staff who would actually be helping kids?

Is it really shutting tonight - or is that just a threat? How will the local councils pick up all these children's cases at less then a days notice?
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,159
    Forum Member
    Think of the children.:(

Won't somebody please think of the children?:cry:
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    £800,000 payroll!
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    This all seems odd.

Ministers overruled officials and approved a £3m grant to fund downsizing and transformation work - which was actually used over the weekend to fund salary costs which it was not supposed to be used for. So presumably if they had used the funds to pay redundancy, cut costs or hire consultants to transform them that was fine but they weren't allowed to fund the wages of staff who would actually be helping kids?

Is it really shutting tonight - or is that just a threat? How will the local councils pick up all these children's cases at less then a days notice?
    it makes those large out sourcing firms, seem like a safe bet
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33641889

fairly strange after they just received a £3 million grant.

The grant was being withheld until certain conditions were met.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »

I agree.
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I agree.

And your gut feeling is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the things run by a woman dressed as a clown

what do you expect?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shes always gotta new outfit on

how do they cost?

bet there on expenses!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    And your gut feeling is?

Failure to provide accounts in 2002 and the waived tax bill and lack of proper management poor record keeping and lack of accountability. Also backers pulling out.

Government sources last night said the closure was triggered after the Cabinet Office demanded the return of a £3million grant it gave to the youth organisation last week.

They said the money was given on condition it was spent on restructuring after officials concluded the charity’s finances were in chaos.

But emails leaked to the Mail prove that some of the cash was instead spent on paying the monthly wages of its 600 staff.

A source close to the charity said that the Cabinet Office started trying to claw the money back after it emerged that the police were investigating the sex abuse allegations involving unnamed members of staff.

Should it succeed in recouping the funds, Kids Company would face insolvency. It has received about £40million of government funds in the past decade.

Some high-profile donors have said they no longer want to support the charity as a result of the negative stories. The Mail has learned these include Comic Relief, which has loaned and donated hundreds of thousands of pounds in the past 15 years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3185576/Crisis-stricken-Kids-Company-close-Charity-cease-activities-tonight-following-claims-financial-impropriety-sexual-abuse.html
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And look who the chairman of the charity is

http://order-order.com/2015/08/04/conflicted-yentob-slammed-horrendous-bbc-innuendo/

More tricky times for the BBC...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like most of these so called "charities" theyre nothing of the sort

theyre run for the people that work for them

and that says it all

who gets paid to work for charity???

isnt that what charity is?

and 90000 for the CEO?

total joke

Lots of people do.

I have no problem with people being paid to work for charities - they need to be professionally run and you can't expect people to work there full time for nothing. The scientists who work for Cancer Research UK and other medical charities need to be paid - even if it is at a lower rate than they could earn in the private sector. However, such high pay packets for senior executives is hard to justify.

However, the whole funding of charities, especially those who get grants from public funds, is a massive can of worms and the regulation of the sector needs a massive overhaul. The Charities Commission seems toothless in stopping bad practice.
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    If this gets rid of overpaid and dull broadcaster Yentob all well and good, but the main people that need to answer questions are Cameron, Letwin and co who continued to waste public money against the advice of civil servants. Another triumph for the 'Big Society'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    If this gets rid of overpaid and dull broadcaster Yentob all well and good, but the main people that need to answer questions are Cameron, Letwin and co who continued to waste public money against the advice of civil servants. Another triumph for the 'Big Society'.

It's not just this government. State funding by politicians of their mates' charities have been going on for decades.

From the DM (yeah, yeah, I know) article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3184493/Alan-Yentob-tried-halt-BBC-probe-kids-charity-Corporation-s-330-000-year-creative-director-phoned-Newsnight-staff-hours-aired-damning-report-Kids-Company.html
    ...It follows revelations last month that Mr Yentob used a BBC email account to persuade the last Labour government that Kids Company should be let off a £600,000 unpaid tax bill dating back to 2002.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, handing over £3m because its finances are in chaos, a chunk of which is needed to be able to run the payroll, and it is apparently closing does raise some serious questions.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there may be a few people involved in the running of this charity who will be nervously expecting a knock on the door from the Police in the not too distant future.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt I read that Camilla whatshername was on a salary of £90,000? I was also reading that some of her qualifications had been queried.

Messy business. There are very few charities I'd trust these days. Having worked for a charity for 15 years as a volunteer I saw first hand the kind of stuff that went on.
    Seems to me that most people are on the fiddle.

My old Mum makes me laugh she goes to a luncheon club for the elderly twice a week and pays about £6 for her lunch. She says the local vicar goes up there supposedly to "help" but all she ever sees him do his get his lunch!!

She asked one of the cooks once why he doesnt pay like all the pensioners have to and the cook went red and said "he's a helper." :D:D Funny how he always arrives when lunch is being served and leaves straight afterwards.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    More taxpayers' money flushed down the drain - on ministerial instruction.

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
    If they hadn't there'd be the usual wailing from the usual suspect of "vile evil Tories picking on the most vulnerable in society"
    The people at fault are careerist chancers who weasel their way into these organisations and those people who ring fence all charities from criticism and scrutiny.