Options

usb portable backup drives

malcommalcom Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi. Finally got round to getting a usb external drive to go with my 2 month old laptop.

I was wondering what the reliability record is like for portable usb drives. Mine is a wd passport 1 terabite.

Its a lot of eggs in one basket I now get the urge to get another drive as a backup for the backup drive should that fail for some reason.

How insecure is that. :D

Comments

• Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reliability is good enough.

External drives are for backing up your main drive and for other stuff that is stored elesewhere.

eg photos and music stored 'in the Cloud'

I keep some videos, Linux and other Image filles on my ext drive and they are not on main laptop drive because they are large.
    But if the ext drive fails, they are replaceable.

I wouldn't keep Personal videos only on ext drive because they are not replaceable.

If you are unduly worried, and have the money, then buy another drive by all means.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reliability is good enough.

External drives are for backing up your main drive and for other stuff that is stored elesewhere.

eg photos and music stored 'in the Cloud'

I keep some videos, Linux and other Image filles on my ext drive and they are not on main laptop drive because they are large.
    But if the ext drive fails, they are replaceable.

I wouldn't keep Personal videos only on ext drive because they are not replaceable.

If you are unduly worried, and have the money, then buy another drive by all means.

Thank you. I have irreplaceable stuff also backed up on flash drives and also on DVD-R discs. I don't use cloud storage. I was thinking that a second backup device would be cheaper in the long run than repeat backups put on flash drives. 64gb worth of flash drive will almost pay for another usb drive which holds far far more...........
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use of a cloud service as Robin of Loley suggests e.g. dropbox, onedrive, google drive is a really good way of having a second backup.

Obviously do not put personal info e.g. passwords, bank details etc on cloud. Great for photos, videos etc. That way even if your house burns down, or burgled, you can still get the stuff back.

You cannot be too careful about having multiple backups - two backups is probably enough unless you are really paranoid (however, no matter what you think, they are out to get you :-))!
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Use of a cloud service as Robin of Loley suggests e.g. dropbox, onedrive, google drive is a really good way of having a second backup.

Obviously do not put personal info e.g. passwords, bank details etc on cloud. Great for photos, videos etc. That way even if your house burns down, or burgled, you can still get the stuff back.

You cannot be too careful about having multiple backups - two backups is probably enough unless you are really paranoid (however, no matter what you think, they are out to get you :-))!

Or if you must put sensitive data into the cloud use some industrial strength encryption on it first. Any casual hacker is just going to move on to easier targets. And lets face it I wonder how many plain text documents are floating around the cloud with who knows how many passwords, banking details etc etc on them? Much easier to suck those out of the cloud than bother cracking an encrypted file.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have kids make sure that its kept well away before they decide to play whack-a-mole or decide its a good ornament for the fish tank etc ;)
  • Options
    Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember that it is very easy to drop a USB hard drive.

Hard drives do not like being dropped especially when they are in read/write mode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »

I am a bit paranoid about technology kicking me in the teeth. :D

However isn't cloud expensive ?
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can go free till you know what your requirements are. Or stay free if they are adequate.

If you want to upload and download lots of GBs, you'll need a fast Unlimited connection.

If you are limited to total web usage of 10GB per month be careful of extra charges from your ISP.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-online-backup-sites.htm

Lots more if you Google.
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a drive 'die' on me recently - made a repetitive clicky beepy sound when attached. I was a bit cross as I was about to restore the contents to a new PC... Anyway, I removed the drive from the enclosure & attached it via a SATA-USB adaptor and it worked fine.

I have 3 WD desktop drives, one of which went bad and again it was the [Firewire] interface - the drive was fine although in this case I think it was ultimately corrupted by the faulty I/F so I stopped using it to avoid future heartache.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan F wrote: »
    Remember that it is very easy to drop a USB hard drive.

Hard drives do not like being dropped especially when they are in read/write mode.

Indeed they are with their shiny surface. Almost designed to be dropped. :D