Is Little Mix flopping?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    frank5 wrote: »
    Again flopping is not particularly about the chart position. It's about the sales and now looks like that they won't sell very much in the week of release. Of course it's all about the longevity, but in XF terms first week sales will be disappointing and currently going towards floppy XF winners males road ;) of course everything could change if their next single is great, because now their second single is already falling quite fast and won't help to sell albums :)

Did any of the male winners manage to get a #1 single without any XF support? :rolleyes:

People need to remember they share a lot of fans with 1D, and with 1D's album being out a week before them, most of the fans might not have the money to buy the LM album this week. We shall wait to see how sales do. Syco expected them to do around 80k, they're probably gonna do around 65-75k imo, which wouldn't too disappointing for the label I guess.
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Sales wise I thought they would have done as big as Spice Girls did in their 1st 2 years together...and SG was a girlgroup up against good looking boyband Boyzone/Westlife who did great in their time too, but not as high achievers as 1D!!

Been a 'girlgroup' shouldnt be an excuse....LM won the show, unlike 1D the year before....thought that would have made it more obvious they should have achieved more sales than 1D (supposedly being more popular etc.)
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,251
    Forum Member
    Little Mix are not flopping at all, if anything they are getting more and more popular now.
    Forum Member
    E05297535 wrote: »
    Sales wise I thought they would have done as big as Spice Girls did in their 1st 2 years together...and SG was a girlgroup up against good looking boyband Boyzone/Westlife who did great in their time too, but not as high achievers as 1D!!

Been a 'girlgroup' shouldnt be an excuse....LM won the show, unlike 1D the year before....thought that would have made it more obvious they should have achieved more sales than 1D (supposedly being more popular etc.)

Tell Matt Cardle and Rebecca Ferguson that. LM aren't even from 1D's year and one is a boyband (who could sell music with a wink at the fans) the other is a girl group (who have to work 10 times harder in general). Besides, I don't think the ratings were the same last year as the year before so can you really compare their popularity (on the show) like that? And I don't think anyone with the slightest sense would expect them to do as well as Spice Girls did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I remember correctly, Cher Lloyd's album sold pretty badly. Much, much worse than what Little Mix are projected to sell (I think they nearly sold as much on the first day of sale). But once she got marketed to America, and established a fan base there, she's now touted as a huge X Factor success! I feel like Little Mix can do the same, if not better. These days if you're not selling 1D numbers, you're immediately a flop, which is totally ridiculous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrissy101 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, Cher Lloyd's album sold pretty badly. Much, much worse than what Little Mix are projected to sell (I think they nearly sold as much on the first day of sale). But once she got marketed to America, and established a fan base there, she's now touted as a huge X Factor success! I feel like Little Mix can do the same, if not better. These days if you're not selling 1D numbers, you're immediately a flop, which is totally ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I like Cher, but I wouldn't say she's a huge success in the US. Her album hasn't done that well as it hasn't been selling well consistently.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear the annual x factor winner's flop thread! Give the girls a chance. :eek:
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    If I remember correctly, Cher Lloyd's album sold pretty badly. Much, much worse than what Little Mix are projected to sell (I think they nearly sold as much on the first day of sale).

Cher's album debuted with 55,668 copies...
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    LM could do as well as SG...the difference is SG were unique, LM arent......folks wanted to know what SG were all about (behind the songs and 'image' they created) SG has put their own stamp on things LM hasnt,(no creativity) they are relying on Management who may be getting it wrong for them atm

Btw.....im not saying that LM are flopping, yet!! But Syco needs to doing a whole lot more for them or they should have more of an impact when the next album comes out)!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this up against Rihanna is a load of rubbish. You can buy more than on album at a time you know.
    Forum Member
    MrsOrin wrote: »
    All this up against Rihanna is a load of rubbish. You can buy more than on album at a time you know.

:confused::confused: But Rihanna has a huge fanbase which is much bigger than LM's you know.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grammar fail for the op. Are Little Mix flopping?
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you don't remember that correctly, and the difference may not be very much. Also if you're beginning to compare LM to acts who finished 4th and started out against a tidal wave of antipathy then you're stating to clutch at straws.

They're not flopping but i'm sure we all imagined they'd be doing better
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They already have - by releasing that rubbish DNA as a single.

DNA (Did Not Attend) - looks as though the songwriters failed to turn up on that one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, they're flopping. They've only had two number ones so they're gonna be dropped. :o:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Grammar fail for the op. Are Little Mix flopping?

Iz Little Mix flopping innit!
  • DinosaurusDinosaurus Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Every syco artist is being thrown to the back burner while they concentrate on 1D! Shame really!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Yes, they're flopping. They've only had two number ones so they're gonna be dropped. :o:rolleyes:

First one dosent really count - the winners single is a bit of a given, and it was a bit of a flop in terms of sales compared even to Matt Cardle.

Be interesting to see with the drop in viewers what happens to the winners singl sales this year - it could be struggling.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,251
    Forum Member
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    First one dosent really count - the winners single is a bit of a given, and it was a bit of a flop in terms of sales compared even to Matt Cardle.

Be interesting to see with the drop in viewers what happens to the winners singl sales this year - it could be struggling.

Where is he now? LM are doing fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    Where is he now? LM are doing fine.

They have only been going 5 minutes!!! How can you assess it? Come back after they have been more than just 2 hit wonders, and when they have released a mega selling 3rd album. Not even Leona has managed that. Think it just proves how little shelf life these X Factor acts have.

And the new single is predicted to take a bit of a dive this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First one dosent really count - the winners single is a bit of a given.

No, the winner's song is part of their discography. It still counts as a number one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    No, the winner's song is part of their discography. It still counts as a number one.

That it might be - but it is a bit of easy pickings especially as they have just come off the back of about 3 months promotion (which 99.9% of acts would die for).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That it might be - but it is a bit of easy pickings especially as they have just come off the back of about 3 months promotion (which 99.9% of acts would die for).

Nonetheless you can't say "well it is really a number one" because it is.

It is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many on this forum went on last year about how singles sales do not matter and album sales are all that matters.

If you look at Matt Cardle's career It's pretty obvious that single sales are hugely important for XF winners. Why? not because the money is in singles but rather that single sales prove the general public are still interested in the artist, single sales also open up avenues for other revenue streams like festivals, tv, streaming, foreign sales and various other media. When Matt's singles failed to chart it was the end of the road for him with SYCO.

As long as Little Mix continue sell singles, I think they will not be dropped or considered a flop by SYCO.

Look at Cher Lloyd, her album didn't sell very well in the UK but the singles did well and now she's international and doing very well.
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised two pages in and no one has posted the relevant comparison data:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/s103/the-x-factor/news/a347167/matt-cardle-trails-leona-burke-ward-in-x-factor-album-sales.html

1st week sales of UK X-Factor winners debut albums sales:

Leona Lewis 375,872
    Shayne Ward 201,266
    Alexandra Burke 132,065
    Matt Cardle 70,896
    Steve Brookstein 50,989
    Joe McElderry 39,405
    Leon Jackson 37,197

We know on Day 1 Little Mix sold 22K, to be ranked third, but by today's midweek's they have already fallen behind One Direction to 4th. So Little Mix are going to struggle to beat Matt Cardle's first week sales, but should beat Steve Brookstein's first week sales, make of that what you will.

But if Matt Cardle's first sales were regarded as a flop, and Little Mix sell less than he did .......