Options

Could a number of teams contend for the one realistic champions league place

Comments

• Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is the big boys will spend stupid money to fix their problems in the January window as the CL money will repay it, where as the rest of the league may grab something if they can afford it as its either the top 6 for euro comp's or the rest in a desperate race to avoid the drop
  • Options
    Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    The thing is the big boys will spend stupid money to fix their problems in the January window as the CL money will repay it, where as the rest of the league may grab something if they can afford it as its either the top 6 for euro comp's or the rest in a desperate race to avoid the drop

That's a very good point. The dreaded transfer window. I can see teams like Liverpool and City raiding westham for Sakho and even Song. The transfer window is every smaller clubs manager nightmare.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top 4 will be Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal. I can't see anyone else breaking into the top 4 for a good few years, never mind this season
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top 4 will be Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal. I can't see anyone else breaking into the top 4 for a good few years, never mind this season
    Arsenal haven't done enough yet to convince me after 16 games that they will finish top 4. It is still pretty open in my book as to who will join the other three.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Arsenal haven't done enough yet to convince me after 16 games that they will finish top 4. It is still pretty open in my book as to who will join the other three.

They always seem to get there in the end though.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can be quite a fence sitter this early in the season. But this season, I would be staggered if the Top 4 does not end in that exact order. It would take an unusual set of results for one or even two of the sides, for it not to.

Given the money and relative youth of all four sides, you could see that being the order of things for another 18 months.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not convinced there aren't two places to fight for.

Arsenal are still a bit weak in the centre of midfield and defence, especially with injuries, and it will only take an injury to Sanchez to really put their traditional CL spot at risk.

United aren't ripping up trees either and are actually relying on the old guard lately rather than the new buys. De Gea's heroics mask a few remaining issues. You can't concede that number of shots at goal to your opponents and expect to be a CL shoe-in. A De Gea injury would be interesting. But they at least have the ability to score in most games which makes them favourites to take one of those two spots - but I wouldn't like to say it's a foregone conclusion just yet.

So much relies on injuries and the January transfer window.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    United aren't ripping up trees either and are actually relying on the old guard lately rather than the new buys. De Gea's heroics mask a few remaining issues. You can't concede that number of shots at goal to your opponents and expect to be a CL shoe-in. A De Gea injury would be interesting. But they at least have the ability to score in most games which makes them favourites to take one of those two spots - but I wouldn't like to say it's a foregone conclusion just yet.

Is there some law that suggests teams have to rely on their new buys? I think the impact of the new players has been hindered by all of them having extended periods on the touchline. Despite this the team were able to record the longest run of wins of any side this season (tied with City now after today).

All that said, I still think there's plenty of time for United and Arsenal to be caught by Spurs and Liverpool (the only other two teams I consider to have a chance of making the top 4).
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Not convinced there aren't two places to fight for.

Arsenal are still a bit weak in the centre of midfield and defence, especially with injuries, and it will only take an injury to Sanchez to really put their traditional CL spot at risk.

Well if we take injuries into consideration,we should win team of the year.

Close to 50 now since LVG arrived. :p:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All that said, I still think there's plenty of time for United and Arsenal to be caught by Spurs and Liverpool (the only other two teams I consider to have a chance of making the top 4).

I'm sorry, but what on Earth makes you think that Spurs and (especially) Liverpool have got the slightest chance of a top four finish?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but what on Earth makes you think that Spurs and (especially) Liverpool have got the slightest chance of a top four finish?

No need to apologise:)

Spurs are only four points off the CL places. They've blown hot and cold this season but I think MP is a good manager and they've got a decent squad. I'd actually be surprised if they did it, but I wouldn't rule them out at this stage.

As for Liverpool, they've been poor so far, but they still retain the nucleus of a side that was excellent last season and almost won the league. Suarez has obviously been the major loss for them, but the loss of Sturridge has also been pretty huge. I think once he's back and the likes of Lallana get a run of games they'll be much better. Their fans also seem to think they'll sign a couple of players in January. In short: I could easily see them going on a run in the second half of the season and challenging for fourth place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Spurs are only four points off the CL places. They've blown hot and cold this season but I think MP is a good manager and they've got a decent squad. I'd actually be surprised if they did it, but I wouldn't rule them out at this stage.

As for Liverpool, they've been poor so far, but they still retain the nucleus of a side that was excellent last season and almost won the league. Suarez has obviously been the major loss for them, but the loss of Sturridge has also been pretty huge. I think once he's back and the likes of Lallana get a run of games they'll be much better. Their fans also seem to think they'll sign a couple of players in January. In short: I could easily see them going on a run in the second half of the season and challenging for fourth place.

God I hope not. Don't mind if West Ham don't get a top four spot but please god don't let spurs finish higher than us.

They are playing well at the moment to be fair.
    I think Everton are definitely capable of being added to the mix as well. It's usually around February time that the contenders become more apparent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everton have really disappointed me this season. I really thought they might kick on after last season's achievements, but they appear to have taken a step backwards with far too many results like the one today.

I have a friend who is an Everton fan who was dismayed with Martinez today. He made no substitutions, even when they fell a couple of goals behind, despite having Pienaar and McGeady on the bench.

Right now I just feel like they played so well last season and failed to make it, so this season when they're not playing well and the likes of United are much improved, I can't see them doing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I were a betting man and had to bet on what I think will happen, rather than what I want to happen, I think the top four will be Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd in no particular order.

I than think the battle for the best of the rest will be out of, in no particular order, West Ham, spurs, Everton, Liverpool. I think Southampton will start fading away. They will be like West Ham were considered to be in the 80s, a team that comes down with the decorations. Most likely 9th or tenth for them, which will be pretty damn good for a team that were tipped at the start to be relegation fodder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everton have really disappointed me this season. I really thought they might kick on after last season's achievements, but they appear to have taken a step backwards with far too many results like the one today.

I have a friend who is an Everton fan who was dismayed with Martinez today. He made no substitutions, even when they fell a couple of goals behind, despite having Pienaar and McGeady on the bench.

Right now I just feel like they played so well last season and failed to make it, so this season when they're not playing well and the likes of United are much improved, I can't see them doing it.

Despite wanting to erase all memories of Moyes being our manager last season, his time at Everton was unfairly criticised when the new boy swaggered into town.

The defensive aspect of the game was one of his strengths there,a trait Martinez hasn't exactly been able to master. He was found lacking at Wigan in more than just defensive issues and it was swept under the rug by using Dave Whelan's penny pinching as an excuse. He bought some really poor players at Wigan,not all for buttons either.

He has a much more talented squad at Everton to work with, the majority already there when he arrived.

Maybe it's a blip or maybe the job Moyes did there was underrated by those who were seduced by a sparkly new manager with new ideas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite wanting to erase all memories of Moyes being our manager last season, his time at Everton was unfairly criticised when the new boy swaggered into town.

The defensive aspect of the game was one of his strengths there,a trait Martinez hasn't exactly been able to master. He was found lacking at Wigan in more than just defensive issues and it was swept under the rug by using Dave Whelan's penny pinching as an excuse. He bought some really poor players at Wigan,not all for buttons either.

He has a much more talented squad at Everton to work with, the majority already there when he arrived.

Maybe it's a blip or maybe the job Moyes did there was underrated by those who were seduced by a sparkly new manager with new ideas.

I think Moyes is a quality manager just not given time. I think Ferguson managed to paper over the cracks the previous season. Maybe Rooney was vindicated when few years previously he had reservations about Man U ambition and squads ability to compete effectively for the near future.

I think Martinez is a good manager makes mistakes like every one else. I think he is the right man to take them forward. I would not be surprised to see them playing their best football at the business end of the season around February and March,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, neither would I, but I think it's a question of whether their luck holds or not. Normally, I'd say the amount of late goals they've scored is an indicator of an good side, but in this case they have been incredibly spawny.

Not sure about that at all. Suarez is an ocean sized hole for them to fill, and the new signings his departure funded have been...well, lets be kind and say 'underwhelming'. Rodgers benefited from a coincidence of form and players last season, and to be honest I believe their current position is about right for them...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were a betting man and had to bet on what I think will happen, rather than what I want to happen, I think the top four will be Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd in no particular order.

I than think the battle for the best of the rest will be out of, in no particular order, West Ham, spurs, Everton, Liverpool. I think Southampton will start fading away. They will be like West Ham were considered to be in the 80s, a team that comes down with the decorations. Most likely 9th or tenth for them, which will be pretty damn good for a team that were tipped at the start to be relegation fodder.

I'd be delirious if WHU maintained a top six position, but it'll be tough. If we can get some points from the next two games (Chelsea and L'Arse) it may make some people start to take us seriously, and it's nice that we are taking on a couple of the 'big' teams before the ACON affects our squad.

Fourth place at Christmas is completely bizarre :D but looking at our final two months fixtures I believe we could still be there or thereabouts at season's end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be delirious if WHU maintained a top six position, but it'll be tough. If we can get some points from the next two games (Chelsea and L'Arse) it may make some people start to take us seriously, and it's nice that we are taking on a couple of the 'big' teams before the ACON affects our squad.

Fourth place at Christmas is completely bizarre :D but looking at our final two months fixtures I believe we could still be there or thereabouts at season's end.

I thought before the Leicester game that if we could take 5 points off them, Chelsea and Arsenal combined we might just might be able to start dreaming of Entertaining Real and Barcelona next season.
    If we could avoid the traditional hidings from Chelsea and Arsenal than I think we will prove that we might not come down with the decorations.

The transfer window unnerves me. Can see City and Liverpool coming in for Sakho. He is impressive. I think if he And Carroll stay fit, and at West ham, they will be lethal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought before the Leicester game that if we could take 5 points off them, Chelsea and Arsenal combined we might just might be able to start dreaming of Entertaining Real and Barcelona next season.
    If we could avoid the traditional hidings from Chelsea and Arsenal than I think we will prove that we might not come down with the decorations.

The transfer window unnerves me. Can see City and Liverpool coming in for Sakho. He is impressive. I think if he And Carroll stay fit, and at West ham, they will be lethal.

Carroll won't be going anywhere, too many questions over his fitness and style of play. He's also on a damn good contract at WHU, that he's unlikely at this point to equal elsewhere. Sakho is I believe already in negotiations over a new contract, and hopefully both he and his agent are sussed enough to look at the long game - for different reasons a move to Citeh or 'Pool would be a very bad move for him at this stage.

Oh, and we will horribly upset Chelsea and/or Arsenal over the next two games. Trust me :D
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,112
    Forum Member

What on earth makes you think they can't?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Moyes is a quality manager just not given time. I think Ferguson managed to paper over the cracks the previous season. Maybe Rooney was vindicated when few years previously he had reservations about Man U ambition and squads ability to compete effectively for the near future.

I think Martinez is a good manager makes mistakes like every one else. I think he is the right man to take them forward. I would not be surprised to see them playing their best football at the business end of the season around February and March,

All the time in the world wouldn't have been enough for Moyes at Utd. To use an old cliche, he was smalltime. Can you imagine Chelsea hiring him? It was a sentimental appointment. As much as a genius that Fergie was ,he made a monumental cock up, as did the board for backing him up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carroll won't be going anywhere, too many questions over his fitness and style of play. He's also on a damn good contract at WHU, that he's unlikely at this point to equal elsewhere. Sakho is I believe already in negotiations over a new contract, and hopefully both he and his agent are sussed enough to look at the long game - for different reasons a move to Citeh or 'Pool would be a very bad move for him at this stage.

Oh, and we will horribly upset Chelsea and/or Arsenal over the next two games. Trust me :D
    I always thought same thing about Bellamy. I went around saying ' he won't go anywhere. He is on a great contract. I know he would get more money for City, but he has enough money to never worry about it. He probably never have to buy a drink in his life, he will have the modern day equivalent of the Krays to inflict retribution on any one stupid enough to assault him or burgle his house. He will be part of a formidable double act with Ashden he would have to be an imbecile to give that up. Why would he want to sit in the stands for City for a bit more money?. No way Jose' blush: boy do I feel stupid>:(

The fact that Carroll was reluctant to play for us on a permanent level makes me nervous. Though he has made all the right noises. I think the fact that he is in competition for a place has really brought out the best of him. He is quite fast when he needs to be. Lat season i thought he could only physically break into an amble.

Who ever scouted Sakho deserves a medal. Found him playing french third tier football. Just hope he does not become ungrateful. Though by all accounts seems to be very grounded.

I would be happy with either 2 draws or 1 win. Hoping not expecting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the time in the world wouldn't have been enough for Moyes at Utd. To use an old cliche, he was smalltime. Can you imagine Chelsea hiring him? It was a sentimental appointment. As much as a genius that Fergie was ,he made a monumental cock up, as did the board for backing him up.

I know what you mean. But it's like getting a job. To get a job managing a big club you have to have big club experience. To get big club experience you have to have a job for a big club.
    He had lost the dressing room, but if he had carte Blanche to spend like Louis he could have replaced them anyway. I personally think if you are not wiling to give that manager three years unconditionally don't employ him for three minutes. I believe he genuinely thought that first year was just a watch and observe. See what needs to be done get the right players in the summer, ready for the start of the next season
    Fair point in regard to Chelsea but than again they are not so big on tradition or ethos as Man U traditionally are
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think if you are not wiling to give that manager three years unconditionally don't employ him for three minutes. I believe he genuinely thought that first year was just a watch and observe. See what needs to be done get the right players in the summer, ready for the start of the next season

Rightly or wrongly, I don't think there's a big club anywhere in world football that still operates that policy.

As for the latter part of your comment, I think he would have survived if he had done something decent: qualified for the CL, won a cup, made it to the last four of the CL, or even just played some decent football. He basically came up short in every respect, including his interactions with the media.