Options

French Open ITV4

Comments

• Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

And if Eurosport jumped of a cliff should ITV do it too?

If it makes them more money than not doing it.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised anyone can watch ITVs tennis coverage, the relentless advertising I find unbearable.

I'm sure when they first got the rights they showed more restraint with advert frequency than this years.

Without exception, every single break in play it's an advert. Fail enough if breaks in play were every 15/20minutes. But in tennis it's often just a few minutes.

The breaks are much shorter. In fairness, everything in life seems to annoy yo.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    The breaks are much shorter. In fairness, everything in life seems to annoy yo.

so lets take other sports shell we..
    cricket takes a break after most overs..
    boxing end of each round theres a break. most often

there all on skysports.. nobody slags them off.. itv have done great on the tennis...

when it renews the contract itv will still get it as free to air. and they have done great..
    eurosport will lose out to BT i would say so..
    and most probs they will take breaks too..
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so lets take other sports shell we..
    cricket takes a break after most overs..
    boxing end of each round theres a break. most often

there all on skysports.. nobody slags them off.. itv have done great on the tennis...

when it renews the contract itv will still get it as free to air. and they have done great..
    eurosport will lose out to BT i would say so..
    and most probs they will take breaks too..

I think you quoted the wrong person...

I don't care what Sky do, or Eurosport.

I don't care what happens in boxing, or cricket.

I wanted to watch the French Open on ITV and find it all too fragmented to bother with.

Why my problem with the coverage is a problem for anyone else I can't imagine.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its a discussion forum?

The ad breaks are timed not to miss any of the action.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like ITVs coverage it would have been nice though to be able to see all the matches probably off the ITV website
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Its a discussion forum?

The ad breaks are timed not to miss any of the action.

If I do not like something then there is nothing to discuss.

I cannot be wrong.

If, however, I were to suggest that ITV could still make money from less frequent adverts...

That's up for discussion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member

Because ITV are doing an excellent job and it's coming across as you just moaning because it's on ITV regardless of whether they're doing a good job or not.

If it had been on the BBC and they were doing a dreadful job covering the French Open, would you still be complaining? I doubt it.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    BBC News dont have to publicise the French open if they dont want to. According to their editor, it's not big enough news to make the sport bulletin which is fair enough.

Funny how it was "big enough" to feature when they had the rights. Funny how they cleared the BBC1 schedule whenever the Andy Murray matches could be transferred from the ghetto of the red button.

So petulant and childish but then what can you expect from an organisation that blithely wastes £100m of public money...

Getting a little annoyed at the ad breaks extending into the opening points of games. Several times now the first point has been missed as ITV squeeze more ads into the break. Naughty.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I do not like something then there is nothing to discuss.

I cannot be wrong.

If, however, I were to suggest that ITV could still make money from less frequent adverts...

That's up for discussion.

Actually you can be wrong...not all opinions are equally valid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    Actually you can be wrong...not all opinions are equally valid.

I cannot be wrong about my own personal dislikes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just moaning on Digital Spy about some sport on ITV, I didn't expect a Spanish Inquisition.

I wasn't making any general claim that ITV are ****. (rhymes with kit) Nor attacking anyone else's taste in broadcaster.

Why are people so upset that other people's tastes are not like theirs? It's rather childish.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't find the adverts on ITVs coverage of the French Open intrusive at all. If anything, they have done a good job by not making them too long. Thankfully there's only an advertisement banner across the bottom of the screen at the start of a break, and none on the return.

I watch a LOT of tennis on Eurosport & Sky and their buffer adverts at ad breaks can get very annoying (Turkish Airlines)

I am finding ITV coverage very good. :cool:
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't find the adverts on ITVs coverage of the French Open intrusive at all. If anything, they have done a good job by not making them too long. Thankfully there's only an advertisement banner across the bottom of the screen at the start of a break, and none on the return.

I watch a LOT of tennis on Eurosport & Sky and their buffer adverts at ad breaks can get very annoying (Turkish Airlines)

I am finding ITV coverage very good. :cool:

We are Turkish Airlines/we are totally yours :mad: :D

Compared to other broadcasters, ITV are doing a great job with RG. I don't understand how people can think otherwise unless they haven't watched much of it before. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are Turkish Airlines/we are totally yours :mad: :D

Compared to other broadcasters, ITV are doing a great job with RG. I don't understand how people can think otherwise unless they haven't watched much of it before. :confused:

That Turkish Airlines advert drives me to distraction Trev. :eek::cry::)
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Turkish Airlines advert drives me to distraction Trev. :eek::cry::)

Lol, I can hardly stand it either. Damn that Wozniacki. Her Scholl plasters advert is horrific, too..

Great highlights show on ITV 1 at the moment. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol, I can hardly stand it either. Damn that Wozniacki. Her Scholl plasters advert is horrific, too..

Great highlights show on ITV 1 at the moment. :)

The things we put up with for the love of tennis. ;):D
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    can anyone confirm that itv used to share coverage of wimbledon up to the mid 60s
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Funny how it was "big enough" to feature when they had the rights. Funny how they cleared the BBC1 schedule whenever the Andy Murray matches could be transferred from the ghetto of the red button.

So petulant and childish but then what can you expect from an organisation that blithely wastes £100m of public money...

Getting a little annoyed at the ad breaks extending into the opening points of games. Several times now the first point has been missed as ITV squeeze more ads into the break. Naughty.

ITV have a history of doing this.

Their F1 coverage was dire by the end; this insistence on having adverts at the most inopportune moment played a big part in this. Most obvious example being the Fenando Alonso/Michael Schumacher climax in 2006t I think it was, at Imola (possibly?) ITV mnissed most of it by having adverts right near the end of the GP just when it was obviously developing into an exciting clima to the race.

They do it in their British Touring Cars coverage too. Sky don;t seem to have this problem.

I hate it when ITV win the rights to sporting events; their coverage may be goos to start with but it deteoriates badly when they start to lose interest.
  • Options
    JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrblank wrote: »
    can anyone confirm that itv used to share coverage of wimbledon up to the mid 60s

It wasn't a share as such - often BBC and ITV would show the same matches.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I don't know who you watched before - but I always thought that Eurosport did an excellent job of RG - and that they are still better than ITV in some ways.

It was Eurosport who started broadcasting the tournament in HD (to the UK)
  • Options
    pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JezR wrote: »
    It wasn't a share as such - often BBC and ITV would show the same matches.

Doubt it, always been a BBC Sport since Fred Perry was in short pants.

ITV must be raging, all that dosh they paid for the Froggie Tennis and moody Murray isn't playing. Merde.

Good coverage though, the ads are few and as unobtrusive as ads can be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For all my praising of them, they made a catastrophic error today. ;) Someone must have pressed the button by mistake as the ads came on right in the middle of a game during the Sam Stosur match. :eek::o

Petchey did apologise upon their return. It was a one off hopefully. :)
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrblank wrote: »

Before my time but I think there is a clip on youtube from Rediffusion days on Wimbledon 67.
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC news just had a report with video on the French - mentioning the Djokovic and Li Na matches. Funny way to ignore the event!