Any New Scary Movie Suggestions?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Wanna watch a scary flick tonight...

I've seen alot of new ones like Evil Dead, The Conjuring, Insideous 1&2 etc..
anything else out there that is decent?

Comments

• bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,826
    Forum Member
    I'm also on the hunt for similar, so anything would be good! Have you seen Sinister?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought those were okay:

Paranormal Activity: the Marked Ones
    Oculus -- I'd describe this as a psychological thriller with a hint of horror. I don't think it's available on DVD yet, though.
    Afflicted -- it's digitally available as a purchase at the indie filmmakers' site: http://afflicted-movie.com

I think I enjoyed Afflicted the most. It helped that I went in without knowing anything about the story. Never even seen any trailer.

I missed my chance to watch The Quiet Ones, but it's due out on DVD next month - 16th or 18th August, so it may be available as a rental.

Do you watch foreign-language films? 'Cos I have a list. :D
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see a parody of the horros/scifi films like Alien. That would be hilarious.
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contracted is worth a watch. Not really scary as such but it's a horror film and I enjoyed it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contracted_%28film%29
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    sinister and dark skies are good
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I thought those were okay:

Paranormal Activity: the Marked Ones
    Oculus -- I'd describe this as a psychological thriller with a hint of horror. I don't think it's available on DVD yet, though.
    Afflicted -- it's digitally available as a purchase at the indie filmmakers' site: http://afflicted-movie.com

I think I enjoyed Afflicted the most. It helped that I went in without knowing anything about the story. Never even seen any trailer.

I missed my chance to watch The Quiet Ones, but it's due out on DVD next month - 16th or 18th August, so it may be available as a rental.

Do you watch foreign-language films? 'Cos I have a list. :D

Watched occulus last night and thought it was very good, thankfully it's not a found footage type movie but could easily have been. Very well done and i was pleased to see that slacker from Linklatter's dazed and confused is still working.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Takae what is your list of non-English language films? I wouldn't mind having a look.

Yeah nowt much scary going on that we haven't seen...I will look out Occulus though, think I will need to start my own list..

Out of scary film ideas...!
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    You will love possession http://thepossessionmovie.com/index.html#/home

Really surprised me this film and it is scary!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Takae what is your list of non-English language films? I wouldn't mind having a look.

Yeah nowt much scary going on that we haven't seen...I will look out Occulus though, think I will need to start my own list..

Out of scary film ideas...!

Some of the Asian horrors are very good. There are a few list threads on here. Search for asian+horror in the thread title it brings up a few results. One of them has a list from Takae. I dip in these now and then for recommendations.

Takae, I'd love to see your current list and any other foreign language suggestions:D

Good French horrors I've seen are Martyrs, Frontiers and Haute Tension.

Spanish films, Rec and The Devil's Backbone.

Nightwatch is a Danish film about a student working as a night watchman in a morgue. I think it's better than the English remake of the same name.

There's also a Russian vampire film called Night Watch(with a space). That's pretty good too.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ils is a brilliant french horror film. I found grave encounters very unsettling too
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the Asian horrors are very good. There are a few list threads on here. Search for asian+horror in the thread title it brings up a few results. One of them has a list from Takae. I dip in these now and then for recommendations.

Takae, I'd love to see your current list and any other foreign language suggestions:D

:o I forgot that list. What a trip. :D Thanks for asking, NoseyLouie and Susan_White. I'll do up a list later today. That post was made in 2011, so I'll limit the list to 2011 and onwards.

I'd love to hear suggestions from you two and the others, too. Especially European. I realised recently that I haven't seen many films from Germany, France, Spain, etc. So I'd love to see some. I did see an interesting one from, I think, France or Spain? Fear of the sun or open space, I think? I'm blanking on the title. Will look it up.
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    The Orphanage (spanish version) is really really creepy if you're after European scary films.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pact is a must-see in my opinion. Scary and intelligent. My favourite from recent years.

13 Sins isn't too bad either but it's not scary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ils is a brilliant french horror film. I found grave encounters very unsettling too

Grave Encounters is one of the scariest films I've seen. Freaked me out!
  • Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    The House of The Devil & The Inkeepers, both directed by Ti West and both have a very creepy atmosphere with them.

Also french Horror film Ils (Them) one of the best home invasion movies.

I really enjoyed Lovely Molly, a very creepy and effective horror film.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the latest horror movies not up to scratch and as scary as the 70s, 80s and 90s ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will love possession http://thepossessionmovie.com/index.html#/home

Really surprised me this film and it is scary!

I enjoyed it and really found this scary too.
  • Tindie_BaisTindie_Bais Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seen a lot of hood movies but not many of this year

I really liked that I seen from the last two years
    Citadel (2012/I)
    The Quiet Ones (2014)
    Oculus (I) (2013)
    Proxy
    "Sadako 3D 2" (original title)
    Chasing the Devil
    "Bad Milo!" Fun movie not scary

Last year I saw
    Thanatomorphose
    Wither
    Haunter (2013)

How ever with Halloween only 13 weeks way , there a more horror movies come
    Coming soon
    Deliver Us from Evil august 22
    As Above, So Below 2014 august 29
    Jessabelle (2014) November 7th
    Annabelle (2014) October 10!
    The Babadook (2014) October 24
    Honeymoon (2014) going to TV film 4 fight fest

DVD
    See no evil 2 21 October
    Devil's Mile

Not sure when out in the uk
    Ju-on 3 is also should come out this year
  • Tindie_BaisTindie_Bais Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost forgot about rec 4 coming soon too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The House of The Devil & The Inkeepers, both directed by Ti West and both have a very creepy atmosphere with them.

Watched House of the Devil yesterday thanks to your suggestion and thought it was brilliant. Really impressed by how they nailed the 80s style of filmmaking. Was disappointed in The Innkeepers. I liked the atmosphere but it was a bit boring.
    Deliver Us from Evil august 22
    As Above, So Below 2014 august 29
    Jessabelle (2014) November 7th
    Annabelle (2014) October 10!
    The Babadook (2014) October 24
    Honeymoon (2014)

Just watched the trailers for all these. Particularly excited for Deliver Us From Evil since the director already has two of my favourite horror movies under his belt in Exorcism of Emily Rose and Sinister. The Babadook looks very promising too