Options

Nail enhancements

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just interested to know who has what really! :)

Do you have gel, or acrylic? Overlays, and/or extensions? And do you favour a particular brand - if so, why?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey - 144 views and not one reply?! :p
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really into nail varnish, but I don't like fake nails. I've tried them, but they were uncomfortable and time consuming, and not as nice as the nails I already have. Sorry!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I've never tried any of them. Mainly because I know of several people who have got locked into a cycle of using them, due to the damage they can cause to the real nails.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I'm really into nail varnish, but I don't like fake nails. I've tried them, but they were uncomfortable and time consuming, and not as nice as the nails I already have. Sorry!

Same here...natural nails, love nail varnish.
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a nail tech I love CND Shellac. Its a UV polish that lasts for 14 days (officially but I sometimes wear it longer.)

I've had liquid and powder and gel extensions in the past and shellac doesnt cause any of the damage that fake nails do.

My natural nails grow well with it. It's my fave product to do on clients too.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I very rarely get nail enhancements but I have had the bio sculpture (clear with white tips) a few times. There is a great nail tech in a salon in Sydenham who does it at a fantastic price. I had it once at Nails Inc at almost double the price. It was really nice but too dear, also they charge an extra £20 for removal before placing a new set on. Rip off.

But my natural nails are very good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    My natural nails are dire, so I wear falsies all the time, and have done for more years than I can remember.

I use either Kiss full cover nails, or more recently, Boots own full cover nails. I find they last around ten days, and to me, they feel completely natural. In fact, it feels more odd without them, than with them. :)

I had to go into hospital for an op last year, and the first thing I did afterwards, was put on my nails.:)

I also have a serious nail polish addiction, and have several hundred bottles. :o I do my own effects sometimes, like painting silver tips on, or using little gemstones etc. After reading about the crackle glaze and croc effect polishes in the nail varnish thread ... I now have five bottles of them too ... :o
  • Options
    FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get acrylics done when I can be bothered!! I don't have them too long, I don't get white tips and I always paint them a natural colour unless I'm off out!

You can buy your own soak it off stuff from superdrug, think its about £2. Then I just paint them with clear varnish
  • Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have friends that do falsies and they are stuck with them now because their real nails are ruined. I would never do it personally.

I think the shellac stuff is pretty amazing if you can put up with the same colour for such a long time. I like to change it up far too often for that, but I thought I might do it for my honeymoon just to save hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only ever had gel overlays myself so it's interesting to hear what other people favour. I think I'd like to try Shellac next, it seems to be getting some good reviews. Nail art seems to be really popular as well right now so I'm surprised no-one's mentioned it here!:confused:

Very interesting reading though, thanks for sharing :)
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Nail art seems to be really popular as well right now so I'm surprised no-one's mentioned it here!:confused:

Jump on over to *the* nail polish thread. Lots of chat about brands, effects etc. Look out for Elanor, she has a nail blog. :)