Options

Eastenders fans on here

EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
Forum Member
✭✭
Eastenders to me is like a football team because when its bad we should support it just like people on here support their football team in the premier league ect so if Chelsea or Liverpool or Manchester City ect ever go down from the premier league then people would be disappointed but they don't give up on their team they stick by them through the good and bad time which is what all the Eastenders viewers on here should do stick by Eastenders no matter how bad it is. I will never give up on Eastenders and neither will other fans like me. If you give up on your football team when they keep losing and go down then your not true fan then and the same goes for Eastenders imo

Comments

• Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely and utterly disagree. It's much better if fans of shows switch off when it is crap, or nothing would ever get changed.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think many people have actually stopped viewing, they watch and then come on here for a good old moan.

Personally I think EE is in good shape, DTC is a great EP and whilst it may not be perfect at the moment it's still very entertaining and I'm glad it's not all totally predictable.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Besides, Eastenders will never have a patch on Bristol City.
  • Options
    Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    I completely and utterly disagree. It's much better if fans of shows switch off when it is crap, or nothing would ever get changed.

Unless you have a BARB box, it won't make an iota of difference. And even then there'd have to be hundreds and hundreds of thousands following suit. Not just a few vocal fans on an Internet forum.

I do agree that EastEnders is a joke at the minute though.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE is a dreadful at the moment it's the first time I stopped watching since 1992 when I begun so that tells you how sad I am at the state of it, when Kathy is back I will give it a go again and hopefully all this affairs rubbish with Kush is over and less Deano.

And I disagree strongly why support and watch a soap when it's in a shit state, sorry no chance.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    I don't think many people have actually stopped viewing, they watch and then come on here for a good old moan.

Personally I think EE is in good shape, DTC is a great EP and whilst it may not be perfect at the moment it's still very entertaining and I'm glad it's not all totally predictable.

JB has a point, and yes Craig they do. if only those people wouldn't come on here with their attention seeking threads to tell us they are stopping watching cos they never do

but you got me thinking am I fan? I am a viewer yes and I like watching and being entertained but I am not obsessive or "special" like some of the folk posting.

good analogy tho MG, I will support my team till the day I die no matter how badly it goes can't say I feel the same about the soaps.
  • Options
    NefersitraNefersitra Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders to me is like a football team because when its bad we should support it just like people on here support their football team in the premier league ect so if Chelsea or Liverpool or Manchester City ect ever go down from the premier league then people would be disappointed but they don't give up on their team they stick by them through the good and bad time which is what all the Eastenders viewers on here should do stick by Eastenders no matter how bad it is. I will never give up on Eastenders and neither will other fans like me. If you give up on your football team when they keep losing and go down then your not true fan then and the same goes for Eastenders imo

There are plenty of true football fans who will stop going to matches and buying merchandise if they disagree with the Owners - google Vincent Tan and Cardiff City for a recent example - and the true fans are often the most critical of bad decisions and what they perceive as poor managers - David Moyes at Manchester United was a very high profile victim of this.

The way I see it, switching off because you are unhappy with the state of the show is no different.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member

If you want to stick with it when it's bad then of course that's your choice, good for you, but I don't think there's any "should" about it. Everyone can do as they please, it doesn't make them a bad fan for getting sick of it being shit. I love EE when it's good but a couple of times in the past I've given up for a spell as it's been terrible. At the end of the day it's not an educational programme or anything like that, it's entertainment and not a particularly highbrow form of it. If it's not entertaining you and is in fact just annoying you, what's the point. Life's too short to watch crap.
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Besides, Eastenders will never have a patch on Bristol City.

More like a Manchester United during Fergie time. Spoilt by success
  • Options
    KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree entirely.
    If the viewers don't make their displeasure known, how else will things change when things get bad. It is only through viewers shutting off, ratings falling, critics (except anti Beeb) and award dos start snubbing the show, when the bosses start to take action.

How long would Lorraine Newman had remained at EastEnders, if the viewers supported the show blindly. The show was in dire straits and thankfully they took action when they did. In recent times, the show has been very slow to react and only taking action later.

That said, I think people are far too quick to jump on EastEnders and certain bandwagons tend to emerge. The Carters arrive in EastEnders, take over the Queen Vic, the epicentre of the show. Naturally they are going to get big stories and a lot of screentime as they are at the hub of Walford life. jThey go on to be very succesful and are part of the reasons viewers come back to the show.

Suddenly, "oh it's Carter Show" "Oh it's a Carter episode" and people scanning the weeks spoilers and creating threads "Oh the Carters appear. Omg not again" it's ridiculous. And even when the Carters are not on screen, people are still complaining, even when other characters are featuring and the Carters are either offscreen or in the background. It's fashionable for certain families, in my opinion, to be bashed on the forums. Regardless of how good the storylines are.
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is total nonsense. I'm not a football fan so I don't know about giving up on a team, but why would anybody be willing to keep wasting time watching a television programme that they don't like anymore. Only somebody with too much time on their hands would do that, surely. I have given up watching it though I do come on here to see if anything has happened that would make me want to start watching again but I'm not willing to stop doing something for thirty minutes a day just to watch it and then moan about it.
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member

And breathe!!!

But, seriously, I do agree with you, true Eastenders fans will stick with it through the good times and the bad.